One For The Road

Thread: One For The Road

Tags: doug denslowe song, metal, one for the road

Doug Denslowe said:

Cool One For The Road

I was reluctant to post these lyrics because,imagine "Good Times,Bad Times","Communication Breakdown"or"Whole Lotta Love"
    (Led Zeppelin)without the guitar riffs,just the lyrics posted.......not much to go on.This song (used to) has power chords smashing down,after each verse.Use your imagination,if possible,it's a great tune,if I do say so myself.

Mona Lisa
    Don't come close
    It's your smile
    I love the most
    Aphrodite ain't got
    Nothing on you(it's true)
    I'm helpless girl
    What to do.....oooh.......oooh.....oooh

Yes,I'm addicted
    Need to dose
    To see the smile
    I love the most

I admit it
    Stuck on stupid
    Got no chance.......
    I asked Cupid
    Yes,I'm hooked
    I won't lie
    Cause,if I miss it
    I'll start to cry.......

You tried to tell me
    In your own way
    You love other boys
    Please go away
    Tears stain my face.....
    Not my style
    Please,one more time......
    Let me see you smile
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 07-03-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Jim Colyer said:

Doug, I Like your allusions to classic art and mythology. Mona Lisa and Aphrodite elevate your lyric.
    Jim Colyer Girl albums

Frankie Jasmine said:

The "Whole Lotta Lovin' " reference gave me a beat background for the lyrics. I like the lyrics and agree with J.C.'s comment! Good point and good writing for, as you call it, "missing the power chords." Who knows, maybe you can put it on You Tube and post it on ATL! Well, of course, it's at risk to be stolen, then, though (from You Tube)! . . . I like the "smile" motif.

Doug Denslowe said:

Thanks Frankie.That's "Whole Lotta Love" by the way,hate to have Led Zep fans on you!Still working up to "Like A Lion"but hope to get there one day.You're the best!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Ha! Guess I sang it wrong all these years. You know, modern technology adds a lot to the understanding of words in old songs! HA!

Why are you working up to "Like A Lion"? Do you mean you aspire to the meaning?--It's about a real person, of course. And I had to keep it simple cuz I don't really know Turkish.

Doug Denslowe said:

I mean the fantastic quality,of course.That's the best poem I've ever read/heard/recited etc.That's want I meant!I am the meaning,just putting it in words was.......so close to my heart and soul.Good job,Frankie J.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Wow, thanks, Doug. I had to keep it super simple because of the language barrier. Although it was from my heart and true, I thought it sounded rather childish. Thank you for giving me a different perspective on it. I defo meant every word of it. I know sometimes "simpler is better" but usually my brain doesn't work that way. I'm a talker, storyteller, etc. Use a lot of words. Lately I've tried trimming the fat now and then. Maybe I should do it more often.

Again, thanks. (Believe me, I would never have thought 'the fantastic quality' of it--that would have sounded like a joke on my own self/poem!)
    _ _ _ _ _

P.S. Come on now . . . best poem you've ever read/heard? If this is the case, please give feed back as to why on my poetry thread, because I don't understand. Perhaps you can help me write better poems. . . . As I say, I thought of it as rather childish.

Doug Denslowe said:

Childish,my a**!!Don't poke fun at My favorite poem.Seriously,check out Honesty and Model Behavior.They are simple,but struck a chord with several ATL readers/writers.I will go to your Thread,it's silly talking about "Like A Lion" on One For the Road thread.But it may send you a few more fans,so my work is done.
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 06-24-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Trying to make it "G"rated

9. mexico62 said:

Hi Doug, What can I tell you, if you know that we are willing to see a demo of your songs, as F. J., said hopefully you can post your videos to let us enjoy your music, and I see that you have material for several songs, but I really donīt know if it would be a mess to make a rock band, you are a natural leader and you rock.

amaryn said:

Cupid rules OK, Doug Yep, I like this one, it hits the nail on the head. Remember the Stones: "You Can't Always Get What You Want", sung with passion?

Janis Joplin looked at Cupid the other way around:"One Good Man"---ah, I loved them.

Now it's your turn. Well-worded.

Doug Denslowe said:

Thanks Amaryn.You got to love the saying,"Stuck on Stupid"!For a minute everybody was saying it.I'm glad I got to use it in a song,I think,before anyone else.

amaryn said:

Read this one again today and I feel as excited about it as last time: so I'm Stuck On Clever,lol

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by amaryn View Post
    Read this one again today and I feel as excited about it as last time: so I'm Stuck On Clever,lol
    Thank you,Amaryn.You are a scholar and a gentleman.(With Very Good Taste!)

jessie zuppo said:

Doug,
    I really enjoyed reading this! it's funny that you mention the genre of music (classic rock) because when I read it, the rhyme & rhythm flowed like beat boxing or freestyle hip hop! That type of versatility in a song makes it a money-maker. For a songwriter to sell lyrics to ANY type of artist (musician) is remarkable!

The general theme of many of your poems/songs is based upon romance/broken heart/ rejection...you are able to pull that pain from within and execute it into inspiration for some kick-a** songs...and that's what makes you and your body of work so damn good!

Your #1 Fan, BFF, and muse (lol!),
    Wild West Jess

Doug Denslowe said:

Thanks Jessie.This along with Fantasyland Magic is a song that needs to be heard,rather than read.It's looks like it'll be awhile longer before I'm recording it!!

16. Peter Both said:

The funny thing is, I was reading this lyric and at the same time a guy came on TV talking about his all-time favorite band: Kiss. The guy started playing air guitar when they showed some fragments of old Kiss-songs. It all blended wonderfully well with the lyrics of this song. I didn't have to use any of my imagination. With a hard-rockin' band this song could turn into a monster.

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Both View Post
    The funny thing is, I was reading this lyric and at the same time a guy came on TV talking about his all-time favorite band: Kiss. The guy started playing air guitar when they showed some fragments of old Kiss-songs. It all blended wonderfully well with the lyrics of this song. I didn't have to use any of my imagination. With a hard-rockin' band this song could turn into a monster.
    I truly wish you could hear this song played!It's a "riff"song a la "Sunshine of Your Love","Foxy Lady","Mississippi Queen"and so on.It's starts with power chords,during the vocals it's a rhythm guitar part,then power chords after the verse is sung.I hope I gave you a little more to go on.I know you have a good grasp of how songs should or could sound.If I helped explain it a little better,my intent has succeeded.

18. LooknGlass said:

Good stuff Doug! You laying a track for this?

19. Peter Both said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    I truly wish you could hear this song played!It's a "riff"song a la "Sunshine of Your Love","Foxy Lady","Mississippi Queen"and so on.It's starts with power chords,during the vocals it's a rhythm guitar part,then power chords after the verse is sung.I hope I gave you a little more to go on.I know you have a good grasp of how songs should or could sound.If I helped explain it a little better,my intent has succeeded.
    I have listened to the songs you mentioned (Mississippi Queen being the only one I had never heard before) and your song really comes to life, Doug! A dry, bluesy guitar riff, wailing high-pitched vocals and grooving bass and drums.

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by LooknGlass View Post
    Good stuff Doug! You laying a track for this?
    See comment #15!!