And a place to crash"

That's the name of the story
    When you live in the slums
    Stepping over winos,crackheads
    And bums

I had to write this,today,after going through this same ordeal,daily
    7/27/2012

Dedicated to Amaryn
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 01-04-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Changed the Dedication

2. mexico62 said:

Hi, Doug, I have to say that I like the way you can make something artistic from a bad experience, I know that you have a lot of problems in some rude neighborhoods, and I understand you, believe me. Here corruption is increasing, dead people everyday, is not notice anymore in the news. People is kidnapped and killed. I was writing something about this, but I stopped, cause is so hard to write about painful things that hurt our entirely countries.
    We have to be strong, hopefully things change, people is lacking of love, family, communication, God, empathy (this was used by F. J.).
    So congratulations, you had the courage and the poetic vision to put together the bad things you see, and not losing the rhythm of your valuable rhymes, Saludos y felicidades amigo.

Doug Denslowe said:

Thank you so much for (as always)your kind words.I didn't expect much, if any feedback from this poem.(or this forum)But,thanks to mexico62,for encouraging words.Thanks,buddy,you're the Best!

4. Zakynthos said:

I usually find it much easier to be inspired by something negative rather than a happy experience. I liked your poem very much, but...it seems more like a song. Not that this is bad as a poem, I just felt it should be a song.

Doug Denslowe said:

Thank you for saying that!I wrote it without a refrain(chorus) but I guess I could have picked a verse and made it work.I like posting there* better because people Reply more often.But so far,so good.Thanks again,I appreciate it.

*Lyrics Review

Frankie Jasmine said:

What can I say, Doug? You make me smile. That's what I get out of your writing style. The situation is not good; on a daily basis it would even be depressing. Yet, somehow the way you say it makes me smile.

At the same time, I feel for you, really I do. Just yesterday I was thinking (unusual for me) what a nice place I live in. People hold the door open for each other. Smile, say 'hi.' I dropped a little piece of paper and somebody just picked it right up for me. Most people say nice things to people they come across, even though they don't know each other. That's usually how it is. I wish more people could live in an environment like mine. (What can I say? I was having a good day, but people overall usually are nice, even if their speech is a little rough sounding at times.)

I will admit a different experience when I went on my once-a-year Mall visit last week (I'm not big on shopping and big shopping places). I saw a girl coming down the hall with flat boots like old-time black-basketball shoes, but these were laced-up to the knee. I was trying to make out what they were. I whispered to my friend, "Look at those boots--that's something I woud have worn when I was in my 20s--aren't they cool?!" But before my friend could respond . . . I wasn't realizing the girl was walking apparently with her grandma and her mother, the mother being about 6 feet tall and 200 lbs, when the mom stared at me and said, "What?!--You don't like her boots?!" but she kept on moving (thankfully). I said, "As a matter of fact I do." "Hhhhmph!" she goes, "Yeah, I bet." So there are always those kinds around too. Actually her walking seemed impaired somehow (by a motorcycle accident or maybe a bar brawl?), and she was holding onto her own mother for support to walk! Otherwise I mighta been in a whole pack of trouble!! I think normally this mother-bear would have just as soon laid me out as look at me. Sometimes you've gotta be careful. I'm just such an open book and friendly, that I don't think about people taking me the wrong way. :S Maybe I need to get to the Mall more often, as a reminder!

7. mexico62 said:

Hi friends, as a continuation to your chat I must say to Zakynthos, that all the time I say Doug have a great rhythm, thatīs how I learn to write the word.
    Doug, as your talked living in the slums, I must say that the place is not the problem. I lived in this same poor neighborhood, and when I was a kind we play until midnight with other boys and it was a safe place, all the people meet each other. Now you must come from work close your doors and donīt walk out, specially in the evening, cause now young boys are smoking grass or they inhale toxic substances. And in the night, usually on weekends we hear they big noise and the police sirens. Same for my dear F. J., people is getting more stressed, they hardly smile or answer your salute. We live in urban jungles.
    But nobody will change these bad things but us, hope we can help as we can to make a better world for our children, so please, donīt discourage, continue working, smiling and giving a good example to the new generations. Gracias y saludos a todos.

amaryn said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zakynthos View Post
    I usually find it much easier to be inspired by something negative rather than a happy experience. I liked your poem very much, but...it seems more like a song. Not that this is bad as a poem, I just felt it should be a song.

@Zak! Even as a song it would be a big task to write music for it, I'd say. But certainly worth trying. I always admire Leonard Cohen for being able to put poetry of his - not the easiest - into song formula. Great man.

@Doug! I know the slums of Glasgow very well, and that was pretty tough too. To brighten your day maybe this little story: I had a friend teaching there and one rainy night a bunch of thugs just robbed him of his cellphone, money and all that jazz- untill they realized they mobbed their own teacher.
    Lots of excuses followed and they gave him back all he'd lost during the robbery

"A little drop of light in an ocean of local misery", he called it

Thanks also for this meaningful poem, you, angry young man

-One question: what's a "wino"?

Doug Denslowe said:

First off,Thanks for digging up The Store for more to see and enjoy.Wino=a drunk,especially one that drinks wine on a Daily basis.Note:Johnny Depp has Wino Forever tattooed on his arm.It used to say"Winona Forever"when he was engaged to Winona Ryder.Things change,so do tattoos!

amaryn said:

Hi Doug I lived in Glasgow close to what was then called The Old Gorbals, now they've built these horrendous new slumbuildings next to them:
    Imagine people living in these monstrous apartmentbuildings with their kids

Take a loupe and discover some green there,lol

Doug Denslowe said:

Oh,I can imagine it.I assume the rent is free or very cheap.What I feel sorry for are the kids being raised by parents that didn't plan ahead,thus having to live in these places.When people start taking having kids as not just a "god given right"but responsibly,the world will be a better place.I'm not holding my breath.

amaryn said:

One for the road: OLD SLUMS GONE, NEW ONES BUILT

dedicated to The Store

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by amaryn View Post
    One for the road: OLD SLUMS GONE, NEW ONES BUILT

dedicated to The Store
    Looks like a great place to meet chicks!!!!

Johnb31 said:

This is great and so true.
    There is not enough space or time to truly let the song unwind

amaryn said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    Oh,I can imagine it.I assume the rent is free or very cheap.What I feel sorry for are the kids being raised by parents that didn't plan ahead,thus having to live in these places.When people start taking having kids as not just a "god given right"but responsibly,the world will be a better place.I'm not holding my breath.
    Bad news: No, Doug, the rent is considerable. As the ground on which they build is so expensive they rather build little skyscrapers to make it even possible to have people move into these houses. I've been inside : families with, let's say 3 kids, have apartments of about 50 sq , so if mum and dad drink, or their kids sniff" ( )violence is around the corner And there's a lot of it....

Just to cheer you up this morning (it's 8.50 here)

Doug Denslowe said:

Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 06-05-2013 at 07:50 AM.

amaryn said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    Like I said in my comment#11, that's the way of the world. I love children and wish I could afford them, but I can't, so I don't. When people start regarding children as people and not toys to be played with, then disregarded, this will be a better world. Thanks amaryn, at least you get the point.
    Well, I get your point there too: a world relying upon advertising, moneymaking easily also "abuses "children and forgets they are tomorrows adults and want to be taken serious: they do like to play - as equals- and they do like to have real/reasonable answers to their 1000 questions.
    Yes, I'm like you: no kids, but then again :I was more of a hobo (isn't that the word?) at the time .....

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by amaryn View Post
    Well, I get your point there too: a world relying upon advertising, moneymaking easily also "abuses "children and forgets they are tomorrows adults and want to be taken serious: they do like to play - as equals- and they do like to have real/reasonable answers to their 1000 questions.
    Yes, I'm like you: no kids, but then again :I was more of a hobo (isn't that the word?) at the time .....
    It's never too late to be irresponsible!!

curiosity_kills_the_cat said:

Hey Doug! Nice one , gritty, shows you wrote something you experienced first-hand.

Think of someone whose 'Storee' doesn't end like yours:

When at last on heaven's shore
    walked in like those here before
    "Leaving or for evermore?"
    Former, just came to the store.

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity_kills_the_cat View Post
    Hey Doug! Nice one , gritty, shows you wrote something you experienced first-hand.

Think of someone whose 'Storee' doesn't end like yours:

When at last on heaven's shore
    walked in like those here before
    "Leaving or for evermore?"
    Former, just came to the store.
    I just don't want to end up
    On heavens door
    Just because I went to
    The Store