Greek Given Names

Thread: Greek Given Names

Tags: None

Frankie Jasmine said:

Yes, it is, thank you. However, at the time I asked, I had no knowledge of how Greek works, even for a person's name.
    Now I have learned more. When I meet someone new from Greece, I can ask how their name is used in each of those cases.
    Yet, for practical purposes, I will stick with Nominative . . . and use Vocative when speaking to (addressing) that person.
    Thank you very much, not only for the final simple answer (I want no one's ears to hurt!), but also for the refresher of "cases" and the application in the case of a few male names.

Because I may not use it, does not mean that it fell upon deaf ears. It has opened my mind to the true complexity (and likely subsequent beauty) of Greek.

Mixalopoulos said:

You, Frankie girl, shine out when everything around is dark. So this is for you.

Nikos Vertis - An eisai ena asteri

Ρεμπέτικο για πάντα. Μάγκες είμαστε.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Oh, my li**le brother! That is so sweet. Thank you so very much for your words and the dedication. You make my heart swell and bring a few happy tears to my eyes!! If ever any "light" reflects from me, people bring it back to me 100-fold, just as you did, Mixa.
    and
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 08-19-2012 at 02:11 AM. Reason: correct typo

Frankie Jasmine said:

OK. Back to work. Could someone please give me the Nominative, Genitive, Accusative, and Vocative for the Greek name of Phillip?

Frankie Jasmine said:

Quote Originally Posted by Mixalopoulos View Post
    You, Frankie girl, shine out when everything around is dark. So this is for you.

Nikos Vertis - An eisai ena asteri

Oh, I can't thank you enough for this lovely music video. I love everything about it--Nikos Vertis; the sound of his voice and the song itself; the visuals, especially advancing from adolescence to young adulthood, to older age; such a beautiful picture and song story! Thank you very, very much, Li'l Brother!

Amethystos said:

Default Let's make this more interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    OK. Back to work. Could someone please give me the Nominative, Genitive, Accusative, and Vocative for the Greek name of Phillip?
    We can make this thread more interesting by adding etymology...
    Greek given names are "products" of the sum of words and they have a meaning.

Etymology:
    Φίλιππος (Philippos) comes from φίλος (friend) + ίππος (horse) = The one who loves horses.

The most famous Philippos in Greek history is "Philippos the 2nd" King of Macedonia and father of Great Alexander.
    He was the one who conquered Thessalia, a region famous about it's strong cavalry units.
    Both Macedonian and Thessalian cavalry were the main weapons of Alexander's strategy,
    to break the flanks of his enemies while "Macedonia phalanx" -equipped with long weapons called "Sarisa"-
    was holding the central enemy attacks.

Nom:
    Gen:
    Acc:
    Voc:
    Singular
    Philippos
    Philippou
    Philippo
    Philippe
    Plural
    Philippi
    Philipon
    Philipous
    Philippi

Red letters will help you, of how to emphasize while pronounce words.
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

Frankie Jasmine said:

Thank you very much, Amethyste. I enjoy name meanings--what a beautiful one for Philippos! (I need to remember that Greek does not double the "L" in Philippos, as English sometimes does.)

And the touch of history? Also glad to hear as a refresher! Another Greek friend discussed this with me quite a while back. (Privately you might guess who that was!!!)

Yes, the red letters do help to know which syllable to emphasize. Thanks for all!