Put on the brakes
    Lets do an outtake
    That time cannot erase

On the road to anywhere
    A trip that doesn't end...but
    we're already there
    It's Now we share
    So Now let us begin.
    Last edited by Teshka; 08-19-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Music is what feelings sound like
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Doug Denslowe said:

Very,very nice.Love the line;Chasing someone else's lights,As far as minds foresee.Now,dats no joke!Good job,Tess!

3. mexico62 said:

Hi Teshka, I like that in this poem you change the style, is good to be versatile, and you do it so good, please continue driving in the highway of poetry. Thanks
    Last edited by mexico62; 08-18-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: orthographic correction

Teshka said:

Thank you guys!

Doug i changed 'minds' to 'eyes' back and forth several times but my thoughts about "following" were more encompassing than the obvious of what we see. I'm glad that you appreciate those 2 lines

mexico62 thank you, i don't care for limerick structure so i broke form in meter, idk maybe there is a name for this style but it's just fine if there is not...bcs sometimes i just want to go against conformity, to hell with rules and expectations

I changed the 3rd line of the last verse...."but we're already there"....bcs that was a big point of the whole poem in the first place, but i forgot to say it! lol
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Doug Denslowe said:

"minds" is definitely the word you want.Good choice!!!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Tess, I'm gonna start saying this: OWO - One Womans' Opinion:

Poetry done by meter, counting, etc. is great. E.g., a sonnet framework alone can bring out the best in a poet and set the words to the best tempo--making it a formula that is almost unbeatable, if the artist has true talent (as you do--and as you have proved). When you write in the formulaic manner, you are heads above everyone else. And your words are SOOOOO effective. You can create BEAUTIFUL poetry. In those styles, our innate sense of balance, rhyme, timing, visceral reaction to beauty within the traditional, all-time, tried-and-true methods is satisfied and delighted or elated at the impact you can make. Keep writing that kind of poetry.

On the otherhand, free-flowing expression has a spontaneity all it's own. There is not a given-framework. It is fresh, true, perhaps not as impactful; sometimes, however, even more impactful! A new member named ThomasJeffersonTwentyDimes just posted his rap. Read that. In that case, he has been called "wild Southern." My comments there are not precise to this poem, but the feeling is the same. I get your poem. While you work on fantastic, historically-established forms of poetry . . . allow yourself to throw back your hair, feel the strong wind in your face, and shout out poems like "Now" which are fully Tess. Continue to delight us in traditional and FREE poetry.

_ _ _ _ _

Have to add my P.S. - I fully acknowledge that you made your own beautiful framework with "Now." That, too, has a beauty! Just wanted to let you know that effort was not lost on me. But it is closer to "free" than some of your other glorious poems . . . OWO.

Teshka said:

Thank you so much Frankie and everyone
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

MoonRide*r* said:

Dass m'girl <33

The best moments of my life are those that happened without any planning whatsoever. You nailed it with this one hun.
    There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame

9. Zakynthos said:

I agree with all of the above. Once again, I'm struck by your skills and I especially liked the second stanza.

By the way, could you shed some light on the difference between 'stanza" and "verse" and how each word is used?

10. Zakynthos said:

Perhaps I would only change title from my point of view.... or maybe not. Nevertheless, I still like your title, "Now" sounds very poetic. In a good way.

Teshka said:

Ya the title that i used was just the first convenient one that came to my mind....i've given it some more thought but don't have any better ideas yet...

I think that stanza is almost an archaic word now but apparently it also more literally means a verse with at least 4 lines....
    i'm probably not the one to give a best answer to that question so i welcome whatever anyone else can offer

I also just read that stanza is from Italian and Latin and verse is from middle English or old English which then probably means Germanic....lol no Greek origin for us this time around? how often does that happen?
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Teshka said:

here is the Greek connection!

A synonym of stanza is strophe but that word can also mean just two rhythmic lines....and it has origin in ancient Greek drama?

and Frankie i'm sure that you would be interested to read that strophe may also refer to "free verse" that may not have a set meter or rhyme pattern.....http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...569542/strophe
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Frankie Jasmine said:

Here is a quick answer from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanza

amaryn said:

Quote Originally Posted by Teshka View Post
    On the road to somewhere
    like there's anywhere else to be
    Except right here?
    It's not so clear
    To you but it's fine with me

Chasing someone else's lights
    As far as minds foresee
    Forget the race
    Just let me taste
    What will soon no longer be

A precious moment is the place
    That we so vainly chase
    Put on the brakes
    Lets do an outtake
    That time cannot erase

On the road to anywhere
    A trip that doesn't end...but
    we're already there
    It's Now we share
    So Now let us begin.
    Teshka!

you are one of those rare people able to wrap up thoughts
    efficiently and meaningfully in a lyrical package
    without spilling anything
    I am absolutely impressed

thanks a million

Teshka said:

what a great compliment amaryn and thank you!! and its a little funny bcs a certain someone has told me that i use words like "that" far more often than i need to
    and you're very welcome and it's my pleasure!!
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Frankie Jasmine said:

Tess, that's not right that someone else should tell you that you use 'that' too often. 'That' is a word that is so useful that we could never do that which we want without 'that.' Moon! That's an outrage!--are you prejudiced that 'that' gets that much use or that much attention that you must bring out that which you find negative about it? That's your opinion, that's for sure! That, you're entitled to. As for me, that's that!! Try that on for size!! [**SMILE** like that!]

Teshka said:

lol Frankie
    he says that words like that just make it all that much harder to help people to learn English that much better
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Doug Denslowe said:

That's for sure!!(or how I say it,"Dat's for shore")

Frankie Jasmine said:

Quote Originally Posted by Teshka View Post
    lol Frankie
    he says that words like that just make it all that much harder to help people to learn English that much better

All my life I've been totally oblivious of "that." Now it's ruined for me. From now on I will be reading all my sentences for "that." In my case, ignorance was bliss. Thanks, Moon. Now I'm wondering how I could even define "that" in the ways used in the excessively-"that"-sentence above. I can't, really. Usually I love to learn new things about writing and grammatics . . . . However, this one does not thrill me. It must mean I'm a "that" addict. :S

(. . . Wait a minute . . . where did I put "that"??? )

MoonRide*r* said:

An' dat's da fat, Jack.
    There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame