It Takes Money

Thread: It Takes Money

Tags: doug denslowe, doug denslowe song, it takes money

Doug Denslowe said:

Cool It Takes Money

This song is inflenced by three songs;two Yardbirds covers (I'm A Man,Aint Got You)and Muddy Waters classic "Mannish Boy".It Takes Money features a repeating stop-time figure on one chord throughout the song.(From "Mannish Boy",Wikipedia)The lyrics were influenced by Ain't Got You,the idea from I'm A Man,and the time signature from Mannish Boy.

It Takes Money
    Buy diamonds at Tiffany's
    Drive a classic Corvette
    Have a personal pilot
    For my airplane or jet

Bought a mansion
    On top of the hill
    Always with women
    That dress to kill

It takes money,honey
    Yes,it does
    Lots of money,honey
    That's spending loot
    It takes money,honey
    To live the way I do

Only date models
    With the silkiest hair
    Even my chauffeur
    Is a millionaire

Wear Armani suits
    And Gucci shoes
    Bought me a picker
    To play the blues

It takes money,honey
    Yes,it does
    Lots of money,honey
    That's spending loot
    It takes money,honey
    To live the way I do

Own a tropical island
    With a fleet of boats
    Only custom made shirts
    With matching fur coats

Got season tickets
    On the 50 yard line
    Eat at the places
    Where Movie Stars dine

It takes money,honey
    Yes,it does
    Lots of money,honey
    That's spending loot
    It takes money,honey
    To live the way I do

Dance in my Ballroom
    In my own Movie Palace
    Bred thoroughbred horses
    At my ranch in Dallas

Pay a staff of Doctors
    In case I get sick
    Cause,I seem to know
    Which medicine to pick

It takes money,honey
    Yes,it does
    Lots of money,honey
    That's spending loot
    It takes money,honey
    To live the way I do
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 04-27-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Written 05/2005

Frankie Jasmine said:

Excellent, Doug. You put much thought into this one, it seems to me. Seems like it's ready for the Big Time!

I like this line best because of its relevancy:

Pay a staff of Doctors
    In case I get sick
    Cause,I seem to know
    Which medicine to pick

Doug Denslowe said:

Thanks,Frankie,I hope(at least you)understand the time signature on this.If it was on an album it would read:
    It Takes Money
    (Denslowe)Arrangement:Traditional
    I hope,if someone likes the lyrics,they will YouTube "Mannish Boy"by the Great Muddy Waters.*
    Again,Thanks for Commenting on my Song Lyrics.Armani thanks you.
    Note:Just to make it clear,the verse repeats in the same time signature as "Mannish Boy"(down below)the refrain speeds up to 3/4 speed;it takes money,honeyYes it does,lots of money honey,That's spending loot..........Then back to the same time signature.
    *it's now posted down below
    (Thanks to Frankie Jasmine)
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 08-31-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Explanation of time signature

Jim Colyer said:

Doug,
    Great lyrics. Lots of imagery. I can almost sing this song. You are right about money.
    Jim
    Jim Colyer Girl albums

5. mexico62 said:

Hi Doug, as you usually do, made an excellent work, I havenīt hear the songs you refer, but I tried to imagine your lyrics with a continuos strong bass to support the rhythm, but I promise you that I will listen carefully the three songs, but for the moment I think that this is going to be a top 10 hit. Gracias amigo Doug.

Doug Denslowe said:

Thank you,for your kind words and good taste!lol. Mannish Boy is the only one necessary for the time signature,the other two are simply influences,that would enrich your listening pleasure.I recommend listening to all the Yardbirds recordings.Jimmy Page,Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton were all lead guitar players in this phenomenal band.
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 09-01-2012 at 03:06 AM. Reason: To spell Phenomenal,right!

Frankie Jasmine said:

I think this is what you're talkin' about, Doug. Wheewww! Memphis-style blues. I like! I like! ['Scuze me, please. I stand corrected--this is Chicago-style blues. Memphis blues is a bit more electric and a touch more rock 'n roll . . . before rock 'n roll crossed over to mainstream.]

[w5IOou6qN1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=w5IOou6qN1o[/video]

Frankie Jasmine said:

Your lyrics go well with Muddy's style here, Doug! I encourage everyone to listen to the relaxed blues of Mannish Boy (after Muddy Waters's intro), but follow Doug's lyrics. The blues are like that anyway. Muddy's syllables do not have to match Doug's exactly, because with this style of blues it's the background music and the vocals carrying the song . . . not a strong lead guitar or piano making the main melody itself.

9. Zakynthos said:

It's rather depressing that too much money is spent improperly.

Money and happiness was a very common subject at school. I must have written 3 essays about this topic. Money definitely cannot "buy" happiness but it can improve the standard of living significantly.
    I have been wondering if world could function without money or if it could be replaced with something else. After all, it may be an excellent way of exchanging goods. And here is the problem. Most people forget that money is just a means of trading things. It's not something that we actually possess, like a car, a house etc. Only our decisions and choices that we make in life have a good or bad effect on ourselves.
    I might be missing the point of this song completely. I just felt like sharing my thoughts though... Oh, and about these lyrics, I like them...as always.

Doug Denslowe said:

Zak,Ever heard the expression,"Don't have a pot to piss in,or a window to throw it out!"Well, I've got a pot and a window,dats about it!(See the Store on the Poetry Site)
    You seem to think I am praising being rich or that I'm mocking poor people.Heaven Forbid,I was just trying to entertain the Great Viewers here at ATL!Many great songs have been written about money(or the love of it)The O'Jays,"For the Love of Money"is Donald Trumps theme song on" Celebrity Apprentice"and is a Classic Motown Hit."Money"was the single off "Dark Side of the Moon"by Pink Floyd,"Money(Thats What I Want)"written and recorded by Barrett Strong is a staple of Classic Rock'n'Roll and has been covered by Everybody,including the Beatles.The Beatles wrote a few songs about money including,"Can't Buy Me Love","Taxman",and "Baby You're A Rich Man".The Great Patsy Cline also recorded"A Poor Man's Roses or a Rich Man's Money"so,you see I'm in good company,real good company!Now,anybody want to make it a hit?!?!

Frankie Jasmine said:

I think it's this American thing. When most people write/sing songs about money, it is usually "tongue-in-cheek"--meant not to be taken seriously. Often it shows up the pitfalls of having too much money, the traps and snares along the way. Particularly with the stars--the rich and famous--the real happiness is not found in the money.

Even the stanza I liked best from "It Takes Money" has been most recently lived-and-died by Amy Winehouse, Michael Jackson; then we can go back in history to Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, and scores of others. To me, it is rather an indictment against excessive wealth:

Pay a staff of Doctors
    In case I get sick
    Cause,I seem to know
    Which medicine to pick

I think of Dire Strait's "Money For Nothin' " (there is a slur in the song from that era--please excuse it). Still, to me it rails against masses of money. Some may disagree with me, but that's always how I take such outrageous money-bragging in song (again, tongue-in-cheek):

[lAD6Obi7Cag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag[/video]
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 09-06-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Doug Denslowe said:

Although I "could not load movie"I think you're referring to the lines,
    Money for nothing
    And the chicks for free

I never thought of that as a slur,unless calling women "chicks"is a slur!It's not calling them "broads"or something else much worse.
    The line "chicks for free"to me means,that the girls were always there,just for them and their music,for free,not charging for favors or anything else that may be implied.To me,the greatest thing about being famous is you no longer have to beg,barrow or steal to get a girl's attention.It's part of the reward for "making it".It levels the playing field(if you believe,as I do,that women hold all the cards!)John Lennon once said,"I got into music for the girls"!If it's good enough for him,it's good enough for me.

Frankie Jasmine said:

No, Doug, I don't refer to that Dire Straits line at all. Although I haven't re-listened closely to the song tonight, I think a rude word for homosexuals (3xs) is used in the song.* That's what I was referring to.

But thanks for expressing yourself anyway. That's how we get to know each other better. I can take songs within the context of their time, etc., and not all slang references are wrong anyway. Otherwise Americans would never be able to open their mouths. And I like your line, "chicks for free to me means,that the girls were always there,just for them and their music,for free,not charging for favors or anything else that may be implied."

Sorry it sounds so hard to find a good woman these days; so many ATL male songwriters write about that. I don't understand, unless their standards are just way beyond their own limitations. (Don't mean to be rude; and I do know of some awfully bratty, selfish-entitled women. But I know many who are attractive, single, self-supporting, and they don't have a man either. Maybe you should come to Kentucky! You like bisquits and gravy???)

_ _ _ _

* I just re-listened to the music video. Since the cartoon guy is the one singing, they repeated a refrain twice--and removed the stanza with the slurrs. But that's how the song used to be sung. Guess it's a revised edition now.
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 09-16-2012 at 06:06 PM.

amaryn said:

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    Excellent, Doug. You put much thought into this one, it seems to me. Seems like it's ready for the Big Time!

I like this line best because of its relevancy:

Pay a staff of Doctors
    In case I get sick
    Cause,I seem to know
    Which medicine to pick

I would have said:
    Pay a staff of Doctors
    In case I get sick
    as I don't know really
    which medicine to pick

P.S: By the way: why Doctors with a capital "D"?

Doug Denslowe said:

[QUOTE=amaryn;989244]I would have said:
    Pay a staff of Doctors
    In case I get sick
    as I don't know really
    which medicine to pick

The reason I stated it like I did was for the obvious "poke"at being able to dictate which drugs my Doctor is to prescribe.You know,rich people tell their Doctors exactly what they want and how much they want.Elvis and Michael Jackson come immediately to mind.As far as why I Capitalize certain words.......that's something I ask myself,constantly!With the "Doctors"one, it's out of respect.You Capitalize Mr.so I assumed Dr.is to be as well.I capitalize words like Lyrics Review,Thread,and many others.It's a quirk,if you need a name.That's me;Quirky Dougie!

Johnb31 said:

This is a great song Doug it's got really good flow and it's so true everything in life requires money.
    There is not enough space or time to truly let the song unwind

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyJoe View Post
    I humbly bow before the master...
    It Takes Money!

amaryn said:

I can't get this weird humbleness,guys

19. Peter Both said:

Great lyrics. This line I like in particular: 'even my chauffeur is a millionaire'. With all the musical clues and examples you gave it's easy to imagine what the song could sound like. Here an extra idea from your meddlesome overseas keyboard player: the song builds up slowly from just a guitar riff and vocals to a massive sound with horns stacked upon horns which make the repetitive groove almost sound ominous. Then when the 'Doctors-stanza' begins, it's back to the sparse blues sound again.
    With all the songs about money mentioned, I'd like to add one of my personal favorites. Dust Bowl by 10,000 Maniacs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCXM7iLMxH4

amaryn said:

Tonight going over It Takes Money again, I suddenly can't help it, but in the background sounds the rough voice of that
    Grand Lady Janis Joplin when she sings:"Oh Lord, will you buy me a Mercedes Benz"?