we are

Thread: we are

Tags: None
  1. Philip Wrobel said:

Default we are

my attempt at a few style changes, one of which being a song more based on the music than the lyrics themselves

(intro)(bass and drums)

we are the ones, lost and alone
    we are the stars, fallen from skies unknown
    we are those, so hungry and so cold

(build up)

do you think of the rejected?
    (do you think of them)
    do you think of the mistreated
    (do you think of them)
    do you think about the restricted
    do you think of me

we are the guns, used and left unclean
    we are the kids, alone in places unknown
    we are the men, aged and mean
    we are the boys, futures left unshown

(do you think of them)
    (do you think of them)
    do you think of me

(silence)
    (instrumental)(steady build up back to speed starting with the drums)

(do you think of them)
    (do you think of them)
    do you think of me
    do you think of me

we are you, looking for something more

(outro)(bass)
    Last edited by Philip Wrobel; 09-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Johnb31 said:

I love this man its something I would write, without a dOubt I think we share a similar thought process on things. It's really interesting to read your work because it's the closet thing to my style I've ever seen who inspires you to write like this maybe we share the same inspiration. Fantastic song but one thing I would really love is if at the end of the chorus you said "do you think of me". Doing this would create sort of a shock to the person since they are not really expecting it so basically what it does is admit to whom ever you are talking to that "I am one of those people". I once wrote a song or part of a song called the shadow kids it was a very similar idea to this the "shadow kids" are the ones that never really make it in life they live in the shadows of greater lives. I really love the ending as well it has a lot of power because it makes the reader relate to the song so it's kind of like a confession within them so it's like "hey I feel that same way about my life". Great message in this fantastic job keep on writing.
    There is not enough space or time to truly let the song unwind

3. Philip Wrobel said:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb31 View Post
    I love this man its something I would write, without a dOubt I think we share a similar thought process on things. It's really interesting to read your work because it's the closet thing to my style I've ever seen who inspires you to write like this maybe we share the same inspiration. Fantastic song but one thing I would really love is if at the end of the chorus you said "do you think of me". Doing this would create sort of a shock to the person since they are not really expecting it so basically what it does is admit to whom ever you are talking to that "I am one of those people". I once wrote a song or part of a song called the shadow kids it was a very similar idea to this the "shadow kids" are the ones that never really make it in life they live in the shadows of greater lives. I really love the ending as well it has a lot of power because it makes the reader relate to the song so it's kind of like a confession within them so it's like "hey I feel that same way about my life". Great message in this fantastic job keep on writing.
    what is your inspiration for writing? and i like the "do you think of me", thx for that
    Last edited by Philip Wrobel; 09-13-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: typo

Frankie Jasmine said:

Philip: I like "We Are." I am especially fond of the Build-up with the (whispers). At least that's how I hear them in the background. This is a good song. John31 is a good songwriter; if you two have some writing in common, I think that's great!

I, too, like John's idea of bringing back in the personal element at the end, thus tieing you and all those unfavored souls together. This is what I hear at the end:

we are you, looking for something more
    are you looking for something more
    do you ever think of me . . .

Granted: This is not necessarily expert advice. It is just what I hear, based upon the great recommendation that John gave.

What does the line mean: we are the guns, used and left unclean ? I ask because the line can be taken two different ways, and "guns" seems the only subject in the song that feels out of place. So I'm sure you have a specific meaning, though I'm not clear about it . . .

Thank you!!

Johnb31 said:

The band Linkin Park is a huge influence for my lyrics and my sound/singing voice I use. Also Switchfoot is a huge influence because they are everything I want to be as an artist humble, kind and just overall nice guys with an amazing message to tell the world. Jon Foremen the lead singer of Switchfoot inspired me to become a writer and singer when I met him after a concert once. He was like talking to your best friend not some uppy rock star he really opened up my mind to the want to write songs and be heard by the people, because I am on a mission to spread my words to the world. If my lyrics effect just one persons life and helps to decide the fate of that person then I will feel as if I have accomplished my greatest dream. Also pretty much any band I listen to which is mostly alternative rock influences me. I also get influence from friends, family and others who have faced hardships in their lives and have been able to rise above them.

Johnb31 said:

After you shoot a gun it is very dirty from the bullet residue and if left unclean the metal rusts or becomes less lubricate making it to where the next time you shoot it it shoots in correctly or not at all depending on how bad it is. So what I think the gun means is its all fun to shoot it and use it but instead of cleaning it and taking care of it you just leave it to rot.

7. Philip Wrobel said:

After you shoot a gun it is very dirty from the bullet residue and if left unclean the metal rusts or becomes less lubricate making it to where the next time you shoot it it shoots in correctly or not at all depending on how bad it is. So what I think the gun means is its all fun to shoot it and use it but instead of cleaning it and taking care of it you just leave it to rot.
    you nailed it.

8. Philip Wrobel said:

... If my lyrics effect just one persons life and helps to decide the fate of that person then I will feel as if I have accomplished my greatest dream...
    exactly the reason i write these, and hope to one day get them out to people all around.