The Easy Excuse
    While their kids suffer
    Parental abuse

Watch what you say
    Watch what you do
    Cause one day
    They'll come after you

9/29/2012
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 02-14-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Teshka said:

nice one Doug! and so true....
    Music is what feelings sound like
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Frankie Jasmine said:

This is classic, Doug! Thank you for posting it. I especially like the comparison between which is more "criminal"?--(1) words coming from a record or a live adult comedic/ironic performance, compared to (2) the far, far worse harm of severe child abuse. People can be put in jail for neglecting animals, but not from neglecting (and rarely for abusing) their own children, even now. But in Lenny's B's time, there was no 'free access television' so children couldn't have heard it on TV (although now they might). . . . Again, even to this day--parental responsibility, supervision, love, and attention (as well as electronic TV controls which we even have set here because of the grandchildren) is the key, just as you indicate--back to the parents! But I know also your heart is for the renegade Lenny, who broke many conventions.

With this song, you've got a winner!!! And I'm partial to this stanza:

Freedom of press
    Freedom of speech
    But if you're different
    You better not teach
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 10-02-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Oh! And I forgot to mention the clencher!!

Watch what you say
    Watch what you do
    Cause one day
    They'll come after you

This is warning full of many threats . . . and a scary one at that! Something that may already be "in the works."

Doug Denslowe said:

When I was a youngster,I went to the SPCA for help.They practically laughed me out of the place.They told me(I swear,to God this is true)that your parents could kill you,and not have to fill out a Police Report!This was when I was a kid,90+ Years ago.(This I DO NOT swear is true)If your parents murdered you,it was considered"an accident"!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Come one, come all, and Hear! Hear! the truth of America . . . the land of the free, home of the brave. (Well, the kids were brave, anyway.)
    You were a smart kid, Doug. Your logic was impeccable--preventing cruelty to animals? OF COURSE they'd care about cruelty to children, right?

This is the World where Reailty is "BIZARRO;" logic, common sense, and decency--which even children comprehend--becomes a fairy tale . . .

Of course: The deaths of children, women, and minorities were never murder or manslaughter--again, BIZARRO world--"natural death," "natural causes," "accidental death," "unknown medical condition," "heart failure," then the big excuse "SIDS." And there was always the unofficial cause of death, "DBBB," "Death by being black." A joke on the perpetrating side of the law; a fearful reality on the victim side of the law.

Doug Denslowe said:

Frankie,
    Thanks for replying to my above Comment.It's one thing "to read it"another altogether to hear it spoken to you like your life had No Value Whatever!It was ALWAYS the child's fault................No Matter What!Things Have gotten better,but the message and the damage done.(Props to Neil Young)

8. lhunny said:

wow, cool song Doug. Where'd you think of that one at?

9. Tomatomic said:

Doug sorry it's been it's been a while since i really posted anything on here but you should know this is the first post I've read after several months of absence... and I can safely say this is really ****ing good. it's deep, about a very controversial topic that many people would never dream of writing about. I think the topics that people avoid because of their 'unsavoury' content are some of the biggest problems the world faces and people being scared of them definitely does not help the situation. i really hope I've interpreted this the right way and if I haven't feel free to correct me. I really enjoyed this dude, keep it up and continue to astound!!!!!

Doug Denslowe said:

Atomic One;
    What's up for interpretation?If theirs any doubt,the Comments say it all!Welcome Back!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Tomatomic, I do not know you. However, I know by your reputation when you post on someone's song/poetry, that it's very meaningful. 'THE EASY EXCUSE" by Doug is deserving of attention. Thank you for acknowledging the depth and greatness (and still timeliness) of the meaning of the lyrics [Well, perhaps "Lenny" deserves a footnote; but the meaning as a whole is still pertinent, even if Doug thinks the situation's improved--I don't.]

amaryn said:

Boy, do I feel spoken to straight from reality! My heart is bleeding, Doug. So cruelly reminded of what
    damage happens when parents think they know what's best and force opinions upon their kids!

It has had results indeed! Bad results.
    An Obade Of What Nobody Should Have To Suffer From. An Anti- Serenade of Parental Love.

Great you put this into your own words. Short and clean words!
    It's a late consolation to realize others have suffered the same kind of "ordeal" and I'm afraid to say things
    around us don't show any sign of improvement. Indeed Neil Young had also his say in this.
    Thank you, and thanks Frankie!

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by amaryn View Post
    Boy, do I feel spoken to straight from reality! My heart is bleeding, Doug. So cruelly reminded of what
    damage happens when parents think they know what's best and force opinions upon their kids!

It has had results indeed! Bad results.
    An Obade Of What Nobody Should Have To Suffer From. An Anti- Serenade of Parental Love.
    Great you put this into your own words. Short and clean words!
    It's a late consolation to realize others have suffered the same kind of "ordeal" and I'm afraid to say things
    around us don't show any sign of improvement. Indeed Neil Young had also his say in this.
    Thank you, and thanks Frankie!
    And Thank You!

jessie zuppo said:

I think what you've done here is great Doug! You have stepped out of your comfort zone. Whenever one does this, there is a certain sense of 'the unknown' mixed with a little bit of awkwardness. In this song, you have made that awkwardness BECOME part of the song. It just adds descriptive character to the heartfelt words that are raw with uncut beauty. Honestly, this is some of your best work...the ease and fluidity that is clearly seen in this song depicts a writer with experience,with an extensive myriad of vocabulary- a mental thesaurus if you will. When one can maintain a beat, allow the words to flow from the pen, and get them to magically rhyme- well that's a recipe for success. I love how you started the song with an intro- the reader can clearly see where you are going...I also envision a neglected child who still harbors feelings of fear and abandonment at the hand of "Parental abuse"...Outstanding! With this piece you have opened a whole new door of possibilities...the fundamental emotions underlying this song (poem) can be the inspiration for more expressive, and talented piece...love it Doug!

jessie zuppo said:

Unfortunately, we have swung in the complete opposite direction now...if you smoke a cigarette near your child, you can expect a vist from the friendly folks of children protective services...but ya know what, I'm OK with that. I know I'm a kickass mom...that is my JOB..my son's job is to have fun, play, and not worry about anything else besides being happy..my job is to ensure his happiness and comfort...that's not optional, that's mandatory! Being a kickass mom takes endurance, patience, tolerance, and lots and lots of energy! I love it!

Kerri Faye Yates said:

Oooh, controversial, I like it.
    ~Kerri Faye

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kerri Faye Yates View Post
    Oooh, controversial, I like it.
    A little out of my "comfort zone".....but it does need to be said!

18. ElegantButler said:

Lenny Bruce died way too soon. If he and others of his ilk were alive today to see the wreck that political correctness (Politically co-wrecked? (that's gotta be a book title, it's too cool for someone like Jon Stewart to not have written)) has turned our society into he would not be pleased. When it's time to raise the dead, the first three should be Lenny Bruce, Jack Kerouac, and George Carlin.

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by ElegantButler View Post
    Lenny Bruce died way too soon. If he and others of his ilk were alive today to see the wreck that political correctness (Politically co-wrecked? (that's gotta be a book title, it's too cool for someone like Jon Stewart to not have written)) has turned our society into he would not be pleased. When it's time to raise the dead, the first three should be Lenny Bruce, Jack Kerouac, and George Carlin.
    Yes,it's true.....the cool die too young.My list would include John Lennon,George Harrison and Jimi Hendrix.

BackInBlack said:

My kind of lyrics here. Stick it to the man. Slap Big Brother cross eyed. Love it.