Amaryn's poems 2012

Thread: Amaryn's poems 2012

Tags: None

Frankie Jasmine said:

Default Frankie's "Take"

atl

amaryn, you have special way of using only the necessary words, yet convey such meaning! This appears to come naturally to you--or do you strive for it?? The impression is that it is natural! You seem to have captured (as Doug would call it) the good, the bad, the ugly, and the truthful about ATL! And done it very well! (Now I've made a line of poetry!)

awareness

AFTER reading your reply to D.D., I fully see your meaning. Did you know it has another meaning as well? That is how I perceived it at first: The bemoanings of growing old! That applies too. E.g., "in the summerwind feeling cold," "losing too often your way," and EVEN "obese while being too thin." How? Well, as I have observed about OTHERS (certainly **ahem** I do not speak of myself!! ), older people staying or getting "thin," yet somehow the same "proportions" of youth are no longer there!! (Just my observation!). Anyway, I love that it perfectly applies in the way you meant, but also in the way I perceived it--about OTHER PEOPLE growing older, that is!! **hahaha!**

amaryn said:

Yes, yes, we love to deny we're getting older and that's a healthy way of looking younger, Frankie!
    I can assure you: in my profession - being a musician - it's really weird as people never get it you "do this at this or that age"
    It really cheers me up!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Quote Originally Posted by amaryn View Post
    to be afraid

to be afraid of howling dogs in desert sands,
    to be afraid of hearts which no one mends,
    of a chaotic world nobody seems to understand

to be afraid of jealous voices underlined
    to be afraid of feelings rudely undermined
    of roads that show just one small sign: it's a dead-end

to be afraid of warm embraces of a friend
    to be afraid of books with an unknown content
    and of the destiny of things you once have lend

oh, to be afraid, so fashionable it seems,
    entering your dreams
    horror, suffering, screams
    oh , to be afraid, how to the world outside
    you explain that white
    can turn out black at night
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Jasmine View Post
    amaryn, amaryn. You * are * a * very * good * poet * ! Your style is unique, engaging, interesting, and you write in very good form.

About "to be afraid" (you also use lower case, like e e cummings!), I have a challenge for you on that one. I like it SO much. However, also, because I like it so much, I have some constructive criticism that I will be anxious to hear your responses to. It's one of those things where I could be "right on the money," OR where you have a "message" that's being delivered that I have not yet seen. VERY INTERESTING! I can hardly wait . . . but I am ill today . . .
    amaryn: I don't recall what I had in mind the day that I said I have "constructive criticism" (when I was ill). I can only share my questions of today. I love "to be afraid," however! It's a beautifullly constructed poem (as noted, written in very good form). And I like it very, very much. My question today is this: Does the poem warn against "to be afraid"?--since to be so is "fashionable"? . . . OR . . . Are you recognizing that self and others may have indeed been in the position often "to be afraid" in the past, but that to remain so is not in the longrun healthy or desireable? . . . OR . . . is it meaning that "to be afraid" is a natural thing in this unnatural world?

Our Doug Denslowe does not like artists' works to be "explained;" he prefers for each person to "experience" each person's work individually and keep the mystique. However, I desire to understand your intended meaning; I feel I can still "take away" the meaning I personally need from the poem, without your meaning influencing me. On the other hand, hearing your intended meaning may UNLOCK a seeming contradiction within the poem for me. That is why I ask. In particular, the last full stanza throws into question how I perceived all that came before it. This, too, is a part of the "amaryn mystique." But if you choose to share, I'd be so glad to hear; in particular how the last stanza reflects on what came before. If you do not wish to share, no problem.

Constructive criticism? I don't really have any for it's beautifully composed! The only thing I might ask is what meaning you ascribe to the word "lend," that is, "to be afraid ... of the destiny of things you once have lend." Do you refer to "lent," as something which you have given or loaned or shared with someone in the past? . . . OR . . . is there another meaning I've missed? Anything to shed light on this line will be helpful to me also.

Amethyste contends that it is good to ask questions of artists, in order to learn . . . Which school of thought do you ascribe to?

Anyway, to summarize, I love this poem, its rhyme, rhythm, structure, and even meaning (as far as I understand it).
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 11-30-2012 at 10:57 PM.

amaryn said:

FRANKIE!

As regards "to be afraid" I do indeed refer to people who have been afraid of many things in the past and still struggle, but hopefully manage to get rid of it.
    What you cannot know: I have been afraid of water (no swimming for me as a child!), dogs, cats, darkness (hahaha: finnish winter,lol) etc.
    I got rid of all fobia apart from dogs. But I know many who have been afraid of all kind of things- or still are - and yet realize it makes no sense.
    So, real life" and "observation" is involved - as always.

The last stanza this much I can admit- and ask if you didnot follow me:
    Though I say "how fashionable it seems" I am not of the same opinion: it's not fashionable indeed! But to have the courage to admit" to the world outside" you are afraid is for many a big step to take : what seems white turns out black...
    No wonder many suffer of nightmares

As regards "lend" I meant that "secrets"you have shared with a trustworthy friend: if friendship breaks up/down, are you afraid these secrets are not anymore safe?

Thanks, Frankie for your careful reading, your thoughtsharing and for your word "amaryn mystique"

amaryn said:

Thanks for everything. As the Forum went nuts and people were concerned- thanks for all your mail,folks - I posted this YT which also got lost:

as we were waiting for the miracle too: it happened: we were re-established!

amaryn said:

Default circus is coming to town

does any one know
    what is hurting us so
    circus is coming to town
    does any one feel
    what is false
    what is real
    circus is coming to town
    Venezian masks are hiding a face
    just walking over you
    leaving no space
    whatever you do
    speeding fast, slowing down
    circus is coming to town
    does anyone live
    right on top or below
    circus is coming to town
    one has bought tickets
    whilst others don't go
    circus is coming to town
    the future is dim
    and blizzards in front
    make it hard to see
    the light from beyond
    but whether you feel like a king
    or a clown-
    circus is coming to town

written on 29.11.2012

Doug Denslowe said:

Glad you recovered your poems,now write them down,you big clown!Circus is coming to town!!(Have you ever heard the novelty song titled,"They're Coming To Take Me Away"!Ha ha,he he,ho ho,to the funny farm............... if you haven't,DO seek it out!This reminded me of it.(Just; circus is coming to town)part.

amaryn said:

Lol Doug: Wasn't it Napoleon singing that tune? A happy march of the sixties I think..or was it the seventies?
    Yes, I promise to be "gooder" next time and copy them all, not just a few. I call that selfesteem, if you like
    Thanks for caring, pal!

amaryn said:

I saw the eyes of a child filled with rain,
    while birds flew across dropping anger and pain
    roaring with laughter the waves of the sea
    followed by silence, there were just you and me

I heard the news, can't remember though when,
    must have been long before daylight began
    soundwalls crumbling under their weight
    and voices whispering "too late man, too late"

OBSERVATION DURING LATE HOURS
    Last edited by amaryn; 11-30-2012 at 05:55 AM.

amaryn said:

an autumn tale

trees looking tired going to rest
    a purple sunset fades away in the west
    knocking on doors death is doing its best
    reminding us nothing can last

and yet, baby, life seems eternity
    so deeply in love as you seem to be
    enjoy while you can, who knows you're right
    face the danger that lures in the night

snowflakes are dancing a waltz in the sky
    never in trouble nor asking why
    always expecting time will just fly
    not wanting any forecast

so, baby, dream of eternity,
    in love you are and that looks good to me
    enjoy every minute , you could be so right
    who cares about dangers at night?

Doug Denslowe said:

Lol Doug: Wasn't it Napoleon singing that tune? A happy march of the sixties I think..or was it the seventies?
    Yes, I promise to be "gooder" next time and copy them all, not just a few. I call that selfesteem, if you like
    Thanks for caring, pal!
    That's the one! You do know American music! It was a great novelty song that played the same song BACKWARDS on the flip side! (or "B" side)

Doug Denslowe said:

I saw the eyes of a child filled with rain,
    while birds flew across dropping anger and pain
    roaring with laughter the waves of the sea
    followed by silence, there were just you and me

I heard the news, can't remember though when,
    must have been long before daylight began
    soundwalls crumbling under their weight
    and voices whispering "too late man, too late"

OBSERVATION DURING LATE HOURS
    So much said in two short stanzas, this is one of your best. Absolutely perfect!

amaryn said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    That's the one! You do know American music! It was a great novelty song that played the same song BACKWARDS on the flip side! (or "B" side)

I know a few, but so much more I ought to know after all: music is my addiction

Doug Denslowe said:

I'm still waiting to hear you opinion of "Truth" by the Jeff Beck Group. Listening to it on YouTube doesn't count! I listened to Moby Grape on YouTube and the fidelity sucked. Sucked Big Time!

amaryn said:

You tube sound quality always sucks mighty,lol But I have a row of neighbours ringing my doorbell if my boxes surpass a certain amount of decibels

In that sense: City life sucks too

Opinion on "Truth" coming up as soon as I have a chance though

Frankie Jasmine said:

amaryn, I will have specific comments for you soon. What can I say? You are a wonderful (as in underlined, bold, and red) poet. Truly, you are. I love each poem you write better than the one before, it seems . . . for varying reasons. Yours is definitely an artist's collection. I hope someday you will be in print by old-fashioned books. If so, I wish to be informed so I can buy my own copies.

amaryn said:

Oh Frankie, what can I say`I am so very obliged and honoured by you saying so I wish it will happen one of these days......

amaryn said:

Default a wish

when the last leaf in autumn has left from the trees
    and nature embraces the cold
    when a blanket of ice again covers the seas
    tales of tenderness want to be told

come, sit beside me and hold me 'cause this way
    I hope to find peace for my restless heart
    always searching without ever stopping
    my only wish being not ever to part

amaryn said:

Default happy end

get me going, turn me around
    say it's me you're looking for
    wishfull thinking, now you've found
    me in my corner, door ajar,
    I can-hear-your-footsteps,
    there you are!

get me going, lift me up
    sugar, put me in your coffeecup,
    you in your corner, cellphone close
    of love I can't get an overdose

get me going, dance all night,
    let's forget what it's like to fight,
    each in our corners, take my hand
    so much drama,
    yet a happy end

Doug Denslowe said:

@a wish;
    May I use this for my Christmas Cards?Seriously,very nice!Nice,nice,nice!
    @happy end;now this is ROCK AND ROLL!!These are great lines,absolutely should be used for a song!This has "hit"written all over it!RAH!!!!!