Don't Blink

Thread: Don't Blink

Tags: None

MoonRide*r* said:

Post Don't Blink

... coz this is so short, you might miss it.

Where was that moment lost
    That you want to have again?
    For one tick of the clock,
    You held it in your hand.

Don't blink Don't think
    Don't sink yet in the next
    Because a late reflex
    Could be the subtext
    Of your epitaph.
    There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame

Teshka said:

In the second verse you could easily add a new 3rd line to rhyme with the last one.....if you wanted to.....and if you need any help with that just let me know

this is great and in fact it's almost perfect
    Music is what feelings sound like
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Frankie Jasmine said:

I like it! Short and all!! Very good, Moon.

MoonRide*r* said:

Thanks Frankie and Boo
    The other day I almost decided to open a thread for "Shortest Poetry Ever Written" or something like that. I thought about it coz Tess was reading me some stuff by Langston Hughes, and this was one of those:

Dreams

Hold fast to dreams
    For if dreams die
    Life is a broken-winged bird
    That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
    For when dreams go
    Life is a barren field
    Frozen with snow.

But she also found one even shorter, and I mean way shorter. So that's why..... I'm still thinking about doing that. ^-^
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>

Doug Denslowe said:

Check out Fried Bread Substitute,,on this site!Page 2 about half way down.
    On second thought Don't check it out!
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 10-31-2012 at 02:06 PM.

6. Guest said:

It was here - then it was not...
    or was it perhaps I
    who flew from it and found that time
    had tied my final knot?

I like things short, or at least compact. Such as this piece:

nāscor ĕrgo mŏrior
    cōgitō ĕrgo pătior

(I am born, therefore I die;
    I think, therefore I suffer.)

amaryn said:

Moon! "Dreams" is wonderful. One of my favs when reading through your poetry,lol. And be sure: I'll follow you

MoonRide*r* said:

Quote Originally Posted by OrchestraInside View Post
    It was here - then it was not...
    or was it perhaps I
    who flew from it and found that time
    had tied my final knot?

I like things short, or at least compact. Such as this piece:

nāscor ĕrgo mŏrior
    cōgitō ĕrgo pătior

(I am born, therefore I die;
    I think, therefore I suffer.)
    What language is this? It could easily be Latin, but I don't remember any of those strange vowels in my Latin studies

...... Hope this doesn't turn into a "Duh" moment for me

and found that time
    had tied my final knot?

Very nice, especially with that follow... I am born, therefore I die.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>

MoonRide*r* said:

But now I'm thinking there's a bit too much fatalism going on here
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>

10. Guest said:

It's Latin, with markings for long vowels (-) and stress (˘). Without them, it simply reads

nascor ergo morior
    cogito ergo patior
    Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2012 at 06:39 AM.

MoonRide*r* said:

Thanks, and I guess the "problem" for me is that I love to "glean" languages of all varieties. But what that means mostly is that I'm easily confused

Yeah, I'm totally with you on the optimism aspect, which is why I usually stay away from music and poetry that doesn't have any positive value in that sense. I really can't stand to be impressed or depressed by hardcore fatalism, coz I think that just sets us up for even more.

And that is exactly the point of this little poem: When we spend too much time looking at the dark side, it's a simple and unavoidable fact that we will habitually miss those little nuggets of the better side of humanity, and the better side of ourselves.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>

amaryn said:

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRide*r* View Post
    But now I'm thinking there's a bit too much fatalism going on here

Life in itself is fatal enough, Moon You know, I suppose....

amaryn said:

There's some truth to that... I'm not an optimist though, nor fatalist, not really any *ist. Existentialist, maybe. For the puposes of spending a lifetime on the Earth, I believe in the now. Music is emotion, and so are words; they are simply means with which to explore existence, dark or light, black or white. I like to explore whatever it is I experience, and I certainly don't believe in ignoring the dark to focus on the light.

If one does not wish to suffer, then one needs to accept both as they are. That, for me, removes the need to say anything at all; words are always a way to enhance something I feel, or a means to manipulate the world, or both. In full acceptance, I feel no need to enhance or manipulate, and therefore no need for words. When I do decide to play with words, I knowingly and consciously choose to leave the emptiness to experience existence in all its shades, to swim in the sea of light and dark - whatever happens to come with the wind. The dark is as inherent a part of the whole as the light is, and some texts may focus exclusively on one or the other - depending on the wind.

Hi, Orchestra! Your explanation is actually crammed with poetry,lol; It sort of left me "staggering around": well said!

Teshka said:

Existentialist, maybe. For the puposes of spending a lifetime on the Earth, I believe in the now. Music is emotion, and so are words; they are simply means with which to explore existence, dark or light, black or white. I like to explore whatever it is I experience, and I certainly don't believe in ignoring the dark to focus on the light.

One thing that i love so much about the guy who wrote this is that he's so capable of being existential and unplugged at the same time but yea i also feel that there is a good and right place for all shades of life, bcs it's all one and the same....inseparably integrated.....and so we have no choice but it embrace it all together, but also being careful not to become channeled out of that integration, so that we would lose sight of something else or even everything else.

But having survived the deepest darkness, one can see even more clearly the brightness of the sun.
    Music is what feelings sound like
    Listen to the Love
    ~♥♥~

Frankie Jasmine said:

I don't see it as fatalism, I see this as the "ego" speaking - that which was born and will die, and that which experiences suffering. My experience is very, very much that suffering is intrinsically linked with thinking, and when one is switched off, so is the other (in whichever way one does it; I prefer simple meditation). The suffering experienced in and arising from thinking is what has driven most of what we call culture - especially the grandest works it has produced.

There's more than that in us, fortunately :-)
    Please excuse me, O.I.--I perceive contradictions in what you've said. Perhaps I do not understand correctly.

(1) The "ego" speaks, is born, experiences suffering, and will die.
    (2) Yet suffering is linked with thinking.
    (3) If either one, suffering or thinking, is shut off--it shuts off the remaining one?
    (4) Yet suffering has driven the grandest works of culture ... (seems contradictory to what was set out prior).

I agree to an extent with point 2--that (negative) thoughts can feed suffering. Yet, sometimes the near opposite it true--voicing (or writing or creating) from a point of suffering can lessen or alleviate some (emotional) pain.

What you purport does not address actual physical pain. If physical pain could be shut off by stopping thinking, surgery would never need anesthetics nor would anyone ever need anything to relieve physical pain, except to "stop their thoughts." Surely medical science would have caught on to this by now, and all ills would be cured!

Similarly true is what results from subconscious thoughts, memories, motivations, actions--that part of "thinking" cannot be shut off consciously.

If what you say is true, no one would ever suffer emotional or physical pain under any circumstances. That is like saying a person can turn off their ability to breathe, or cause their heart to stop beating, or shut down any bodily function through killing (or shutting off or manipulating) thought (the mind) alone.

Yet, (#4) I agree that some grandest works of culture have come from pain.

But have I misunderstood your meaning somehow?
    Last edited by Frankie Jasmine; 10-26-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Frankie Jasmine said:

@OrchestraInside: Thank you for taking my questions seriously and for your good efforts to answer. I appreciate your time and sharing. At one time in my life I also explored a kind of existence through "meditation." [I put it in quotes, because "meditation" has many meanings, one of which is meaningfully pondering upon higher thoughts than ours which we can learn, make a part of ourselves, and make use of them in our lives. Another meaning is with a goal of 'nirvana'. I'm sure there are meanings in-between also. ] Some of what you expressed I agree with; others I do not. But your explanation is clear enough to me that I can now make the distinction because you expressed yourself well!

E.g., that which is mortal dies. I agree. . . . I also appreciate that you expressed humility that you do not have the ability to fully attain the state of mind which you pursue, and that such a ‘state’ takes a loooooong time (if ever) to achieve. This addresses my question about physical pain and surgery.

I do agree that the mind/brain is vast, like a universe in itself (yet mortal and human) to explore. It is fascinating. And there are feats which we physically can accomplish when a certain area of the mind is stimulated to take over--either experiencing no pain when trauma is inflicted; or utilizing something of the mind-body connection to perform what seem superhuman feats, usually for the sake of helping another person in a life-death situation. This utilization of the mind-body does not always occur; but sometimes it occurs spontaneously from a part of human mind-body which we do not fully understand or control.

Of course! We agree similarly that the great works of art have come from a point of human experience and pain. No question there! And I, like you, am glad that the suffering of others in the past and present have wrought arts with which we can identify, appreciate their beauty or (as in Dickens and others) the ugliness of the human condition which is so artfully expressed. (The same with van Gogh et al.) Certainly their human 'works' did not 100% overcome their pain. They still hurt--some to the point of suicide; others--I cannot know how much lasting relief they received . . .

I disagree, though, that such creative works are the same as use/abuse of alcohol or illicit drugs. These outlets cause co-morbidity complications along with the emotional/mental suffering. Such misuse complicates the problems; they can even blurr the original difficulties at the time of misuse; and then add to the perceived pain once the effects have worn off.

Although, certainly artistic masters’ ‘works’ did not conquer entirely their emotional pain, there is nothing to indicate that their creativity alone was just a ‘fix.’ For some who choose to create, an accumulative release of inner pain results. Positive results can occur, making their overall emotional condition better than before and even leading to insights about their condition. Does the ‘art’ obliterate all of the suffering? No. In some cases can it improve the overall condition? Yes.

You answered my questions. I have responded. I have said enough (too much!) on this off-topic discussion.

As well as thanking you, I want to thank Moonrider whose so few words expressed so much as to bring about meaningful conversation! And I apologize also for going off-topic from Moon’s very good, minimalist poem!

amaryn said:

Creativity is IMHO something that does a lot of good to just about anybody. Of which it consists, expresses iself is an open field. No need to be too anxious or too dramatic. Just "go with the flow".
    I take your explanations and considerations serious, but I hope indeed you take your time. Why already plan a visit /stay in a monastery? Enjoy what you have got, Orchestra inside and may you listen to your heart

Frankie Jasmine said:

@O.I: Perhaps joining people in a philosophical atmosphere will fulfill your need to communicate such things, with others who want to discuss and debate your ideas. I am not into philosophical wrangling (because that is usually what it turns into); becomes circuitous, and is often a waste of time, each person having to define their meaning of a certain word in order to make a little progress in the conversation until the connotation of the next word (as each perceives it) comes up. I find it all very frustrating and the opposite of peace and real knowledge. Interesting, perhaps, and in such discussions one person may emerge the philosophical "victor" of the argument/discussion and yet may be totally wrong! :S

Sharing ideas is one thing. Sharing how one perceives, receives, and what one gives to "life" is another. Vague references to "studies" are not necessarily substantial, as studies to the contrary may also be found; hence continue the arguments. Even with substantiated studies, the argumentation continues.

I hear two different lines of thought coming from you, one which I agree with and like; another which I do not agree with and dislike. The "like" is that you are not seeing yourself as the source of all knowledge, that you say you are open to new ideas, and that you like to learn. That includes expressing your experiences and thoughts, not necessarily attributing/applying the same to other people. On the other hand, you make assertions as fact, thus applying universally . . . rather than representative of your own belief system, thoughts, ideas. This is the line of thought you put forth with which I disagree. Your stating it is so does not necessarily make it so.

It still may come down to semantics: What you call “chaos” in relation to children, I see merely as creative play. What you view as chaotic within the mind, I may see merely as conflicted thinking. What you see as “chaos” in the universe, I see as “controlled chaos” meaning that it is not chaotic at all and when seen from the overall view of things patterns and mathematics and reliability emerge. Those which still appear chaotic may seem so because of our limited human thinking.

So, really I am not the person who wishes to go so far with such discussions as you wish to do. I will decline participation before it enters the “I’m right/ you’re wrong” arena and becomes that vicious circle to which I referred earlier.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas. You seem to be a nice person who needs a lot of intellectual stimulation and challenging, and someone who can “spar” (so to speak ). There are definite communities in which to spend time in such discussion. Except for what has transpired on this thread so far, this is not the place (IMHO), and I am defo not the one to accommodate and return my beliefs in argumentation. However, I’ve found you to be very civil, at times quite pleasant, with humor, and interesting. But I hope to stop my participation at this point, before it becomes circuitous debate and bores other people in the meantime!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Well said! And appreciated! I hear what you are saying and I am glad you are not a glory-seeker or a debater for the sake of debate (**yawn**). I believe there are some absolute truths, but I do not wish to assert them except to say that if I decide to jump off the top of a very tall building (which I will not) the absolute truth of gravity on Earth will break me to pieces, in all likelihood killing me, and perhaps even liquifying me! (Just one "law" as an example!) I hope you had a not unpleasant time here, though!

Frankie Jasmine said:

Dear OrchestraInside: I thought we did have a real "conversation." As for the part where I misunderstood your intentions, I give my apologies. Your post #24 cleared that up for me. I will share a last thought with you on this thread (we will see each other elsewhere!), if you choose to hear it. Since you said you want to learn as well as share, that is why I offer it:

"Meditation" of the kind you hold dear is said to take one's mind off of onesself. Perhaps that's true. But it also closes one's mind off to other people. My belief is that we are social creatures, in need of each other. Your "reaching out" for conversation is evidence of that (of course, you already know this **smile**). Anyway, my thought is this: Perhaps if you draw others out, ask questions of them, and really listen to their answers, more of your own needs would be met in the long run. :l

The "meditative" life is a bit seclusional, and somewhat excludes other people. You seem a social person. I am not telling you what to do. I only make the observation that your strong desire to interact may be inhibited by your "meditational" state of mind, which (I believe) leaves one more introverted. Of course, I could be wrong. I think the purpose of this type of meditation is to widen one's world; but sometimes instead it narrows one's world to only self-experience. (Been there, done that, so to speak.) You want to share those experiences with other people because you are so excited about it. (Of course.) **I hope this is coming out properly . . . I can't know until it's received.**

Widen out to experience other people; then they will be more receptive to your thoughts and ideas too! These are only my thoughts and reactions, which you said you like to entertain from others in order to grow. I hope it makes sense in some way. And, of course, I and others wish for no one here to feel "alientated." You will bring your own spin on things as you comment on other's lyrics, poetry, or whatever! If only you knew how many people have also felt 'alien,' (including myself) perhaps each for our own reasons . . . then 'alien' is a very large group indeed. And this is not a half-bad place to find such people!!

May you receive this as it is sent: With kindness, understanding, and appreciation for the differences we all have.