Ghenwa - Mayyala

Thread: Ghenwa - Mayyala

Tags: None
  1. julietarab said:

Smile Ghenwa - Mayyala

This is a bit of a weird one, but can anyone help me with this 2009 song "Mayyala" by Ghenwa (غنوة - ميالة )

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBD-zQU4z-Q

I've been trying to figure this one out on my own for three years and finally am giving up.

This time I'm hoping for the lyrics in Arabic, but also some info on what dialect she is singing in?? When the song was released on YouTube, most of the comments seemed to be about trying to figure out the dialect. I think I read that the singer is Egyptian, in fact that she's Angham's sister--don't quote me on that!!!-- but if so, she's sure not using a standard Egyptian accent! So again--what dialect is it? (or possibly, what is it meant to be? and is she getting it right?) No disrespect to Ghenwa, it's my own ignorance, but it's still frustrating!

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can help!!!!

Julie
    Last edited by VivaPalestina; 10-22-2012 at 07:24 AM.

VivaPalestina said:

Hi!

I'd say the dialect is stronger Levant - i.e Jordan. Spoken with a bedouin accent using the strong 'ga' instead of 2a/qaf

Sorry couldnt find the lyrics for you, isA someone will type them up for you soon

SongCat said:

Just wanted to thank you guys for finding this song which I heard years ago on ART and loved!!! but had no idea how to find it. I didn't know the name of the song or the singer or anything. I'm so excited to see this! Hopefully someone will post the lyrics. This is the best site!!

SongCat!

A T H E E R ~ said:

Cool

Umm well I couldn't find the lyrics either so I tried to write them myself =D
    You want them in Arabic right?!

أسمع يمه دعسة خيل
    و ألمح غبرة خيالة
    زكيّ القهوة حب الهيل
    النار بقلبي شعّاله

شويقي طلّ بأولهم
    زين القوم و فارسهم
    جونا بنيّة خطّابة
    تراني يمّه مياله

طار و غط بقلبي طير
    قولي يمّه لمة خير
    لأنّو معشر ولفي غير
    نظرة عينه قتاله

طل الزين و ضوّ الليل
    دق طبول و رقصة خيل
    و النشامى من كل ميل
    سيوف الفرح شياله

Hopefully that will help you a little,
    it's really a nice song I never heard it before, so thank you for that ;")

Gazelle said:

The singer is Lebanese and the dialect she's singing is from the Levant Bedouins (Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Palestine and Iraq) but this accent is Lebanese. For example this song is also having the same style
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGgw6Mmw-hw
    or this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d_3l2V9Jgw&

SongCat said:

Could you possibly please please please translate it to English?

I see now why I couldn't understand it when I heard it years ago, not just the dialect, but it's full of words I don't--although probably should--know! (like "شويقي "!)

Thanks in advance
    SongCat

7. GabyKurt GarBreefield said:

she's not Angham's sister...Angham's sister wears a hijab

SongCat said:

That's a different sister.