Milica jedna u majke

Thread: Milica jedna u majke

Tags: None

barcelona said:

Default Milica jedna u majke

Sorry if its posted before but i couldn't find..Can anyone translate this?

Milica jedna u majke,
    što odrano rani na vodu.
    Džar mi džan, na Viganj,
    bez ašikovanja,
    Milica jedna u majke.
    Što nosi kratku rašicu,
    zagazila vodu Ribnicu,
    zagazila hladnu Ribnicu.
    Podigla je kratku rašicu,
    Zagazila hladnu Ribnicu.

Thanx.

amaryn said:

Have a look on the The Balkan music lovers Thread. There are some people who understand that language, Barc!

Dzomba said:

First of all, Milica is a mostly Serbian (and south slavic) female name..

Milica, the only one mother has (the only child a mother has)
    That goes for watter that early
    You set my soul burning at the (blacksmith's?) fireplace
    And we haven't even met
    Milica, the only one mother has
    That wears a short dress
    Stepped into Ribnica rwater (Ribnica is a small river)
    Stepped into cold Ribnica
    Raised her short dress
    Stepped into cold Ribnica

The problem is that a lot of the words are Turkish (džar, džan, viganj, ašikovanje, rašica maybe), because these areas were under Otoman empire for almost 500 years and all that.. So u have a combination of serbian and turkish words that got through to serbian, and that's why this song is somewhat special. For ex, some say that 'Viganj' is a male name. And 'ašikovati' means to introduce two young people, under Turkish customs, for a potential marriage. 'Džan' is supposed to be 'soul', and 'džar' is a word that people still use in rural parts very often, for ex. when they put wood in the old stoves.. Rašica could mean a skirt also, I'm not sure.

Btw, you'll probably hear this song performed either by this singer, Ksenija Cicvaric, or Merima Njegomir, a very famous opera and old songs singer. They are both Montenegrin (or whatever), but it's the same ****, more or less... I say this so Montenegrin nationalists don't get mad or sth, because nowdays everyone is so sensitive...

barcelona said:

It's a beautiful song and probably affect me so much because of the familiar words such as "džar" we say "can" in turkish. Thank you!

Dzomba said:

I didn't realize u were Turkish..

The words I mentioned are definetely turkish, it's just that the spelling and maybe pronounciation are possibly wrong, because we acepted and integrated them completely into our language, so we write them and pronounce them as they were serbian. There are many of them in serbian and similar languages, btw, although little less then before.