Baby Won't You Please (Come Home)

Thread: Baby Won't You Please (Come Home)

Tags: doug denslowe song

Doug Denslowe said:

Cool Baby Won't You Please (Come Home)

************************************************** *******************************
    Think back to the early 60's,before the Beatles,almost still the fifties in style and music.Think back to the torch singers with just a piano man,in a small night club.The style would be classified as Jazz,but it's more pop,or what used to be called pop.Pop being short for Popular,in the juke box.This could be sung by either male or female,I write from the male point of view,but this I pictured a female,a torch singer,singing with feeling,and soul.This is a song that's one of a kind for me.It's not rock or folk or anything I've ever attempted before.It's not something that hasn't been heard before,just not by me.See if you like it.Slow tempo.Speed up at the chorus/break.

Baby won't you please
    Come home
    You've left me here
    All alone

Your out twisting
    And doing your thing*
    Don't you forget.......
    Your wedding ring

Baby,won't you please
    Baby,won't you please
    Baby,won't you please
    Come home

Baby won't you please
    Come home
    You left me here
    All alone
    You're out and about
    Doing me wrong
    I'm just sitting here
    Singing this song

Baby won't you please........
    Baby won't you please............
    Baby won't you please.................
    Come home

*the line was originally "shaking your thing"but then it dawned on me how it would sound if a female
    sang it.If I ever sing it live,believe me,it'll be "shaking your thing!"Doug

Written 11/28/2012
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 04-26-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Written 11/28 /2012

2. Philip Wrobel said:

wow I really like it its got a really nice rhythm to it and didn't have to struggle to find it

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Wrobel View Post
    wow I really like it its got a really nice rhythm to it and didn't have to struggle to find it
    I'm glad you like it,Phil.I'm also glad you found it easily.I tried to explain the mood of the song because although it seems short,if it's sung in the way I envisioned it,it could be dragged out like any old blues songs of the time.I hope the description helped you picture how the song should be delivered.
    Last edited by Doug Denslowe; 12-21-2012 at 12:36 AM.

4. Philip Wrobel said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    I'm glad you like it,Phil.I'm also glad you found it easily.I tried to explain the mood of the song because although it seems short,if it's sung in the way in envisioned it,it could be dragged out like any old blues songs of the time.I hope the description helped you picture how the song should be delivered.
    yeah it did help

5. Peter Both said:

Nice song with a melancholy feel to it. I can imagine it souding like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3S5rXpo47w

Doug Denslowe said:

Peter, I've got to first Thank You for the link, second for getting exactly the mood I was looking for. I know my explanation is longer than the actual song, but I had to try to set the mood for the delivery of it. Now, people can use your link to get the feel of a song that's traditional but still relevant in today's market. Thanks again, I'm glad some people are getting the style I meant for this song.

7. Tomatomic said:

retro dude!!! this a melancholic and heartfelt masterpiece. simple and yet perfectly put together rhythmically and lyrically!!! a fine piece doug!!!

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatomic View Post
    retro dude!!! this a melancholic and heartfelt masterpiece. simple and yet perfectly put together rhythmically and lyrically!!! a fine piece doug!!!
    Thank you,Atomic One.I know I'm doing something right when I just a Reply from you.This is a song that's totally retro.Where it came from,I don't know,but I thought I'd write it down and see what happened.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Doug, thank you for this new style! I love it. Please consider writing more songs like this. So on point and timelessly classic. (One tiny thing will help to make it even moreso = change "Twisting" to "twisting;" let the listener decide what it is.) I call these "torch songs." I like your female wording better, but that's because I like it from that point of view--so nice for a change. Of course, you're the guy who gives credit to women with the likes of "Wild West Jess I & II"!!

Just one thing to say: "Do it again, Doug!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Both View Post
    Nice song with a melancholy feel to it. I can imagine it souding like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3S5rXpo47w
    Peter Both--as Doug would say, "how's come I don't know you?"! Your choice of torch singer/song is perfecto!! Of course, I'm a huge Norah Jones fan, so that alone stole my heart. But the actual song and execution for Doug's lyrics and explanation couldn't have been better. I would never have found this song--yet it is so similar to what I heard (even better than!) in my head as I read Doug's lyrics!

Doug Denslowe said:

Frankie,your critiques never fail to put a smile on my face.(that's why I like you so much)The Twisting is capitalized because it was a proper noun;the dance "the Twist"was the reference.This song "came"to me while watching an episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour(circa 1962).Like I said in the intro,it's a "one of a kind"song,for me.I really wish I could write more like this.

Frankie Jasmine said:

You can, Doug, I'm sure you can! Tap into that inner-self. It's a different part of you--strong, youthful, easy, modern (except for Twist! ) yet as mentioned--timeless!

On purpose: For now, I'm not gonna mention these lyrics on the Poetry - General thread because I want to see all the comments come in from people by their own discovery of it. See you back on this thread soon--I'll be watching!

amaryn said:

This one, Doug, I found in the morning when friends had left You're right: this style has something nostalgic , funny, twinkle in the eye, yet a plea as often heard these days as once long ago....:

Your partner having fun somewhere whilst you are boring yourself to death at home Hahaha,lol: I wouldnot let that happen: I'd go out myself

Thanks for racing us back in time (a flashback?) before the Sixties and Seventies, though it was then that the music scene was loaded with such fantastic stuff as everybody seemed to create his/her/their own style&sound

Doug Denslowe said:

The 50's had a lot of great crooners as well;Sinatra,Dean Martin,and too many to name,but that's a different type of music.I feel the real geniuses came out in the 60's.

amaryn said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    The 50's had a lot of great crooners as well;Sinatra,Dean Martin,and too many to name,but that's a different type of music.I feel the real geniuses came out in the 60's.

we know, you and I, and many others here, that the sixties were especially Great with capital G in creating sounds that made EVERY band sound different, while technical equipment was "naive" compared to later decades. God bless YT had not yet been invented! Most likely identity would have suffered. I won't start mentioning them here: the list is too long!

Doug Denslowe said:

First,thank you for leaving a Reply on this Thread.May I ask you to explain,in a little more detail;"Identity would have suffered".I'm a little perplexed by that!(This is the first time I've ever used the word,"perplexed"!!I'm glad I had it when it came in handy!!)

amaryn said:

Yep, Doug, what I meant is this: the bands of the sixties/seventies were recognizable by sound and sound alone: close your eyes and listen: bet you knew immediately the name of the band. That phenomenon has suffered a great deal- though not nearly always in later decades.
    Put the blame on "middle of the road" or on commercial features, "Music For Our Millions" or managers after a big pension,lol: can you find a decade and a half delivering Beatles, Stones, Eric Burdon&Animals, Who, Jeff Beck, Beach Boys, Flower Pot Men, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, John Mayal , Jethro Tull, Doors,etc etc..?
    I am perplexed we had such a flow of creativity and bands with genius and a totally Own Print (read "identity"). Therefore that word which brought out another word in you and handy it comes in when speaking of that period,bro
    Last edited by amaryn; 12-29-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Doug Denslowe said:

Yeah,those were the days.I'm embarrassed to admit,that while deciding what to put in the iPod I plan to get,almost all my songs/albums come from that period.Yes,I may be "Dated"but I knows what I likes.Anybody who mentions Flower Pot Men in the same sentence as the Beatles is my bro for life!(you forgot the band;The Sons of Adam,featured in the movie The Slender Thread with Sidney Poitier,Ann Bancroft,and Telly Salvalas.)(I'm kidding of course,but the facts are accurate)