The Man From Beneath The Sand

Thread: The Man From Beneath The Sand

Tags: None

Johnb31 said:

Default The Man From Beneath The Sand

This is more of a short story than a poem but I hope you like it...

Long ago there was a man who stared into the sea. He got lost in the sand never able to breath, but then one day a boy came by
    with a shovel and a rake. He started digging and you wouldn't
    know what he would find. He uncovered the man from beneath the sand, so deep beneath the land. The boy wondered "How did this man get here" but no answer was uncovered only a man who was beneath the sand.

The boy wondered aloud "Who was this man" who was trapped in the sand. Then something happened the man began to speak.
    He did not move but he spoke with such eloquence It was as if he had never died to began with, but rather he was living all along.

The man that was once beneath the sand rose to his feet one night. The boy looked at him in fright "How can you stand
    Man from beneath the sand"
    The man spoke "I've been standing all along It's you who has been sitting"
    The boy looked down and realized he had been sitting "but how can I be sitting when I feel like I'm standing".

The man looked at him with questioning eyes wondering why he would tell such lies.

But the boy knew he was standing In yet he wasn't.

The man walked closer to the sea the one that made him believe.
    As he walked further and further his foot steps echoed in the boys mind.
    "Am I dreaming" he thought
    "Could this just be a dream"
    As the man neared the sea he stopped and looked into the distance it was as if something was there, but there was nothing to be seen. The boy tried so hard to see what wasn't there but just couldn't.
    "What are you looking at man from beneath the sand"
    The man spoke in a haunting tone. "I'm waiting for you"
    "For me, how can that be, how could one wait for so long just for a boy like me"
    "You are me, you have always been me, you exist in constant time that is why you sit here today because you are waiting for the answer for why you stare into the sea".
    The boy said "what is the answer"
    "That is for you to ask me" the man said
    "I did ask you" said the boy
    "I am you and you are me so if you ask me you are asking your self so ask yourself".
    "But...but I don't know why I stare out into the sea"
    "Well frankly I don't either" said the man
    "How did I or I mean you end up here in the sand as a man while I'm just a boy. How how can we be the same person".
    "We are the same person because you want us to be" said the man
    "I'm...I'm so confused why would I want to stare into the sea for so long and end up meeting myself again but as a child".
    "I do believe we are stuck in a paradox where everything is based around one thing staring into the sea and now we cannot escape this cycle , it will not set us free." The man said to the boy
    "How can I find the reason why I stare into the sea?"
    " you must look into your heart in order to find the answer to the question you seek" the man said
    "But how can I know the answer to a question that I know nothing of" the boy said
    "You have to try" the man yelled out his final words before the wind blew him away.

The boy stared into the sea. Watching the waves crash on the beach. He wondered why he was so mesmerized by the sea but then he realized that it wasn't the sea that was mesmerizing. It was the distance to the horizon and that distance of what seemed like infinity is what kept him staring into the sea.

The boy stood staring into the sea waiting for himself to explain everything. He stood for so long that he became covered in sand losing his breath he fell asleep, but then one day he was awaken by a boy and that boy was him.
    There is not enough space or time to truly let the song unwind

amaryn said:

digging deep into the eternal question: "why the heck do we exist"? -
    I would have left the last two phrases out:
    after all each one draws his/her own conclusions, Johnb

But thanks again for this tale - life seems to thrill you, as it should!

Johnb31 said:

Hey thanks man this story is very odd because it is a paradox where the character already knows his fate so his life is in constant replay and the idea is that it has no beginning and it has no end, but somewhere out there, there is an answer. So the story is meant for the reading to formulate their own answer because this story is just a loop the beginning can be the end and the end can be the begininging so I think keeping those last two segments puts your mind into that loop mode. It's somethin our brain doesn't like. We like to move forward not in circles in yet our planet orbits in circles so really we are moving in circles. So is life just a cycle and the end exsists at any moment within it there is no end or begininging within the reality of the circle, but our minds create an end and a begining it's how we understand all that exsists. When really we always exsist it just matters what part of the circle you are looking at if you are apart of the circle of life you cannot see it but if you look at it from Gods perspective we always exsist. This is just my opinion on what this sort of means I don't really know for sure it's up to the reader to find his or her own meaning.

amaryn said:

Hahaha, John, I didnot need to be put back in the loop mode, but ok, you sound reasonable, so I accept humbly your explanation
    I do think indeed that paradox or not, to draw your own conclusions should still be a possibility, a door left open, a way out

Johnb31 said:

Oh don't worry man I wasn't trying to back up the reason why It should stay I'm just saying that it really doesn't matter either way cause those lines are still very vague and don't really answer any questions I mean they do a little bit but not really.

Frankie Jasmine said:

Very good lyrics/story, JohnB! I really enjoyed it. That it is original is impressive. On the serious side, it is a timeless tale. On the less serious side, it would be a great 1950s Twilight Zone episode!

I congratulate you. If you like reading such stories, try "Songlover26's" traditional stories here:

http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/le...tml#post867202

Johnb31 said:

Thanks Frankie!!

amaryn said:

Frankie! Thanks! I must admit, would you or could you explain the "Twilight Zone"of the fifties a bit more specific, as I don't know what you mean
    by that Or do you refer to Songlovers' stories?

Frankie Jasmine said:

Amaryn, I will write you about "Twilight Zone," an American show that was popular for decades, but I always felt the earlier episodes were "ahead of their time," and extremely well done. Here's a little on it from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twilight_Zone

Thatsmeonthetrain said:

So much meaning in this. mmm (:

amaryn said:

That's right, dear Trainpassenger Let's go fishing and see what sorts of fish the sea has to offer us
    Last edited by amaryn; 12-31-2012 at 05:13 AM.

Doug Denslowe said:

Quote Originally Posted by amaryn View Post
    digging deep into the eternal question: "why the heck do we exist"? -
    I would have left the last two phrases out:
    after all each one draws his/her own conclusions, Johnb

But thanks again for this tale - life seems to thrill you, as it should!
    The Dougie Answer:to love one another.(or,if that don't work,one great girl)

Doug Denslowe said:

By the way;The Twilight Zone is reason enough to own a Television!!!

amaryn said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    By the way;The Twilight Zone is reason enough to own a Television!!!

Frankie would certainly agree with you and I am working on it