Big powerful rock love song - help!

Thread: Big powerful rock love song - help!

Tags: None
  1. Ozzpot said:

Default Big powerful rock love song - help!

I heard this song today in a pool club. It was playing on a very modern jukebox thing with access to about 1,000,000 songs - mostly chart and well known bands.

Although I have been a rocker all my life I can't for the life of me identify this song although I've heard it before.

The only lyrics I can remember are something like:

"I've been waiting for a woman like you all my life" or "I've waited all my life for a woman like you"

It was a really big, powerful sounding rock song, along the lines of a Sammy Hagar era Van Halen (sounded a little like his voice), or Whitesnake or something like that. It had an awesome guitar solo too. The guitar had an unusual sound that I couldn't pin down to any particular effect.

I know that's not much to go on, but I hope someone can help me! I have exhausted google and lyrics sites. Many thanks!

2. montannie-annie said:

The very first thing that came to my mind was Foreigner's "Waiting For A Girl Like You." I can't imagine what else it could be, your description fits it well and Lou Graham's voice is every bit as powerful as you describe. I used to sing this one (substituting "girl" for "guy" of course) for a local band in Utah. I LOVE this song!!! Hope this helps~

So long...
    I've been looking too hard I've been waiting too long
    Sometimes I don't know what I will find
    I only know it's a matter of time
    When you love someone, when you love someone
    It feels so right so warm and true
    I need to know if you feel it too

Maybe I'm wrong...
    Won't you tell me if I'm coming on too strong
    This heart of mine has been hurt before
    This time I wanna be sure

I've been waiting for a girl like you
    To come into my life
    A love that will survive
    I've been waiting for someone new
    To make me feel alive
    Yeah, waiting for a girl like you
    To come into my life

You're so good...
    When we make love it's understood
    It's more than a touch or a word we say
    Only in dreams could it be this way
    When you love someone
    Yeah, really love someone

Now, I know it's right...
    From the moment I wake up till deep in the night
    There's no place on earth that I'd rather be
    Than holding you, tenderly

To come into my life
    And a love that will survive
    I've been waiting for someone new
    To make me feel alive
    Yeah waiting for a girl like you
    To come into my life
    Last edited by montannie-annie; 09-16-2006 at 10:01 PM.

3. Ozzpot said:

Thanks for the reply, but no, it's not that.

It's much much heavier than that. More like hard rock than AOR. The guitars are loud and the singer sings the lyrics with as much power as he can muster. I can best describe it as sounding like Van Halen in the late 80s / early 90s (i.e Sammy Hagar).

4. montannie-annie said:

I have wracked my brain, there's a few I'm considering, but none that seem like a for sure thing. So it sounds like you remember it as a power ballad, right? It seems like it because of the romantic nature of the parts you recall and the fact that you wrote "love song" as part of the description.

Anyway, I'll keep thinking about it and searching a little more---cuz it's just bugging me that we can't think of it. I love power ballads and familiar with most, tons of them have lines somewhat like those 2 you posted in them, as I'm sure you already know but any other clues would help lots. If you do figure it out PLEEEEEAAAASE post it in here, OK?

5. Ozzpot said:

I wouldn't describe it as a classic "power ballad" as it is a bit heavier and faster than that. It has a tempo similar to something like Whitesnake's "Gonna break my heart again", something near 90bpm.

The quality of the guitar playing (as a guitarist myself) suggests the guitarist may be well known for his virtuosity in his own right. Maybe no Steve Vai, but something close. The solo was especially great.

The whole song was played with very loud, powerful instrumenation, i.e big loud guitar riffs, and a booming beat (as you might expect from a power ballad).

It sounded American to me, and I would guess 1984-1992 (which was the golden era of songs like this, so that not help so much!).

If I work it out I'll surely post here, but I am still clueless and looking for ideas.

6. montannie-annie said:

Hi ozzpot~

Thanks for the extra details.........I'll keep thinking and seaching. Happy Hunting!

~Annie

7. Ozzpot said:

Ooh, just had a little audio flashback to the song....

The same lyric, but I can confirm it is "A woman like you all my life" rather than the other way round, and it is sung like:

"awomanlikeyou all my liii-hi-i-ife".. lol.

Without recording it for you I can only explain it like that and I'm NOT about to do that!

Remember, the singer sounds like Sammy Hagar. Entirely likely it is not him, but very much that kind of voice. Classic, loud, hard rock, ever so slightly gravely kind of voice.

More Information: unusually, on this day the jukebox (one of those wall-mounted touch-screen things) played several heavy rock songs in a row. No-one else was at the club at the time (it was during the day), so it seems unlikely it was someone's choice. More likely the machine was playing a particular album. I'd normally expect it to be random, but several big rock songs on the trot is unusual. The song before this mystery one was "November Rain" by Guns 'n' Roses. Possibly this was a rock power ballad compilation?
    Last edited by Ozzpot; 09-18-2006 at 04:45 PM.

8. montannie-annie said:

Hi Ozzpot~

Here's one idea. Probably not the one but gotta try. ....trying to figure this one out is driving me crazy....I really want to know! It's a song by singer/songwriter/guitarist Russ Ballard (past lead vocal & guitar for Argent).

~Annie

I know it's late babe, but I got to talk to you
    No it can't wait babe, we got to talk it out now
    Your so called friends, they're trying to break us up
    They say that I'm cheating on you, that I can't allow
    It won't take a minute to talk it out, I'll make you believe me somehow

Chorus:
    There ain't a woman like you in the world baby
    Can do what you do, thrill me like you do
    There ain't a woman in the world, can start such a fire the way that you do
    There ain't a woman like you, there ain't a woman like you, no
    There ain't a woman like you, there ain't a woman like you
    No use pretending to you, you know I've been around
    Won't be no more lying lady, all that's in the past
    You ain't the first girl I really loved, but you'll be the last

(chorus)

There ain't a woman like you in the world baby
    Can do what you do, thrill me like you do
    There ain't a woman in the world, can start such a fire the way that you do
    There ain't a woman like you, no
    There ain't a woman like you, no, no
    There ain't a woman like you, no (repeats out)

9. Ozzpot said:

Sorry Annie, that isn't it.

Getting a little closer with the feel of it (closer than Foreigner), but it's still not the one.

The song I am looking for is a little faster than that, with more exciting instrumentation behind it. The guitar riffs are far more intricate and accomplished (i.e a dedicated lead guitarist is playing them), and the drums are closer to hard rock/ heavy metal.

Thanks for trying again!