Ofra Haza עפרה חזה‎, عفراء هازا (Prying To You, Compassionate God)

Thread: Ofra Haza עפרה חזה‎, عفراء هازا (Prying To You, Compassionate God)

Tags: None
  1. Ash4u said:

Post Ofra Haza עפרה חזה‎, عفراء هازا (Prying To You, Compassionate God)

I have a small project for the people in this thread.

Ofra Haza is an Israeli singer with Yemeni origin and international stardom. I find this song for here in youtube. It date back to 1978.

I was thinking someone can translate the Hebrew part in the second half the song and I would translate the Arabic half and we can post it here. Make sure to include, the translated version to English, the Hebrew version and the English transliteration. Come on Yemenite lovers, let's c ur work. If you want to make it complete; translate my part also to Hebrew and I'll translated the Hebrew part to Arabic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AYhdXzeQgk

Singer: Ofra Haza עפרה חזה‎, عفراء هازا
    Song: Prying To You, Compassionate God || Shabdaa Bak Adaeek Ya Rahman || شبدع بك ادعيك يا رحمن

I'd start by calling/prying to you, compassionate (God) - Shabd3 Bak Ad3eek Ya Rahman - شبدع بك ادعيك يا رحمن
    To you people hope.. oh, all might - Ya Murtaji Ya 36'eem Alshan - يا مرتجي يا عظيم الشأن
    Ask me about my tired heart - Salni 3ala 8lbi Alta3ban - سلي على قلبي التعبان
    Complain to you about my oppressed heart - Ashki 3alaik 8lbi Alma6'loom - اشكي عليك قلبي المظلوم

I went down the valley & I don't know how to climb it down
    - Ana Nazalt Lilwadi Wa La A3ref Nuzu-lih - انا نزلت للوادي و لا اعرف نزولة
    I found a green boy with a curly hair
    - Ala Lagaiet Walad A59'ar Mindash J3oodah - الا لقيت ولد اخضر مندش جعودة
    & I said.. Oh mother, my heart is loving him
    - Ala Wa 8olt Yamah 8d 8laibi Ya7bih - الا و قلت يمه قد قليبي يحبة

2. il9 said:

Great idea! In Hebrew the song is called neshikot bayam (נשיקות בים) meaning kisses at sea.

I'll show where there are ayin letters (ع) in the transliteration, but most Israeli Hebrew speakers nowadays don't pronounce them. The first verse is slightly different from the second and I don't think it appears in the video that you gave a link for.

שם בקצה הים עומד אדם
    Sham biktze hayam 3omed adam
    There at the edge of the sea stands a man
    כך עומד נדהם ולא מבין
    Kakh 3omed nidham velo mevin
    He stands like this, amazed and not understanding
    מי זאת העולה כמו חלום
    Mi zot ha3ola kemo khalom
    Who is this (woman) rising like a dream
    מתוך ערפל כחום היום
    Mitokh 3arafel kakhom hayom
    Out of mist like the heat of the day

נא בואי, בואי אלי ימה
    Na bo'i, bo'i elai yama
    Come now, come to me, seawards (towards sea - not sure about this word at all, maybe just Arabic oh mother)
    נא בואי אלי
    Na bo'i elai
    Please come to me
    נשקי נא את שתי עיני
    Nashki na et shtei 3einai
    Please kiss my two eyes
    נא בואי, בואי אלי
    Na bo'i, bo'i elai
    Come now, come to me.

שם בקצה הים עומד אדם
    Sham biktze hayam 3omed adam
    There on the edge of the sea stands a man
    כך עומד נדהם ורק שואל
    Standing like this, amazed and only asking:
    Kakh 3omed nidham verak sho'el
    מי יביא אלי מן המרחק
    Mi yevi elai min hamerkhak
    Who will bring to me from the distance
    אשליה של בית וגואל
    Ashlaya shel bayit vego'el...
    An illusion of a house and a saviour?
    Last edited by il9; 09-25-2013 at 04:23 PM.

3. il9 said:

I can't really translate the Arabic into Hebrew well, because I don't know much Arabic at all, and even with the English translation that you wrote, it's hard to know what the actual meanings of the words are. I've given it a try, but there are bits I don't understand, please explain them.

אני אתחיל לקרוא אלייך (אל) רחום
    Please explain the Arabic grammar in this sentence, I mean, like which verb tenses are used and what each word means.

I find another video that starts a bit before the one you posted, and the announcer says:
    شبدع بك ادعيك يا رحمن:אבטח בך ואקרא לך אלי, בוא ועזור לי למצוא את אהובי
    Meaning "I will trust you (put faith in) and I will call to you, my Gd, come and help me to find my beloved." Does this relate to the Arabic well?

אלוקים גדול Really don't understand this line!!! Please explain the Arabic words.
    שאל אותי על ליבי המותש
    Fine
    מתלוננת לך על ליבי המדוכא
    Fine

אני ירדתי אל הוואדי ולא יודעת איך לרדת לתוכו
    Seems like a contradiction: went down, but don't know how to go down. Explain?
    פגשתי בילד ירוק עם שיער מסולסל
    Are you sure it's "green"?
    ואמרתי אוי אמא ליבי ממש אוהב אותו

Does قد in this sentence add emphasis, like "my heart TRULY loves him"?

It's mostly great, but I want to make sure it's perfect.

If you need any help with translating the Hebrew part to Arabic, just ask. I look forward to seeing it!
    Last edited by il9; 09-25-2013 at 05:33 PM.

4. Ash4u said:

Oh.. thank you so much il9 for your contribution. Let's see how can I help. I modified some of my translations, I hope it will help.

Shabd3 Bak Ad3eek Ya Rahman - شبدع بك ادعيك يا رحمن
    Translation: I would start by praying to you, oh.. most compassionate (God)
    ((Shabd3 (or Shabda') = I would start - Arabic doesn't have future tense rather than adding to the present tense سـ - sa or شـ - sha "accent" to indicate the future)) ((Bak = By you)) ((Ad3eek = praying to you - present tense)) ((Ya = it's an Arabic word that come before calling someone, nearest translation - Oh..)) ((Rahman = the most compassionate, one of the 99 names of God in Islam))

Ya Murtaji Ya 36'eem Alshan - يا مرتجي يا عظيم الشأن
    Translation: To you people put their hopes on.. oh, all-mighty
    ((Ya = oh..)) ((Murtaji = the person that you put great hopes on to grand your wishes)) ((36'eem = all-mighty)) ((Alshan = status))

**The ones that are clear For you**
    Ask me about my tired heart - Salni 3ala 8lbi Alta3ban - سلي على قلبي التعبان
    Complain to you about my oppressed heart - Ashki 3alaik 8lbi Alma6'loom - اشكي عليك قلبي المظلوم

Ana Nazalt Lilwadi Wa La A3ref Nuzu-lih - انا نزلت للوادي و لا اعرف نزولة
    Translation: I went down the valley & it is my first time climbing it down
    ((The literal translation: I went down the valley & I don't know how to climb it down, but I make it smoother to the ones who reads it, now. Thanks 4 ur comment))

Ala Lagaiet Walad A59'ar Mindash J3oodah - الا لقيت ولد اخضر مندش جعودة
    Translation: I found a young boy with curly hair
    ((It was hard translating the last 2 lines since some of the words can be with a different meaning between Yemeni accent and official Arabic. - A59'ar means green but I changed in the new translation to "young" since sometimes we referee to the inexperienced or the young by green. Don't forget that the song words source is a transitional song, and some hidden meaning could be put in a way that the new generation might not understand)).

Ala Wa 8olt Yamah 8d 8laibi Ya7bih - الا و قلت يمه قد قليبي يحبة
    Translation: & I said.. Oh mother, my heart started loving him
    ((Good observation, 8olt - قد is additional word that follow the past tense verb, meaning "started" an action. It emphasize the initiation of the verb or action. The sentence also is complete without 8olt.))

I would start the second part of my contribution by translating to Arabic the Hebrew part u put:

**Kisses At Sea**
    Neshikot Bayam (נשיקות בים)
    (بوسات في البحر) Boussat Fee Alba7r

Sham biktze hayam 3omed adam (שם בקצה הים עומד אדם)
    (هناك على حافة البحر ولد واقف) Hinnak Ala Haffit Alba7r Walad Waqif

Kakh 3omed nidham velo mevin (כך עומד נדהם ולא מבין)
    (واقف كذا مشدوه و ما فاهم) Waqif Katha Mashdooh Wa Ma Fahem

Who is this (woman) rising like a dream
    Mi zot ha3ola kemo khalom (מי זאת העולה כמו חלום)
    (من هذه (البنت) اللي طالعه مثل الحلم) Ma-n Hathi (Albint) 'lee 6al3ah Mithl Al7ilm

Out of mist like the heat of the day
    Mitokh 3arafel kakhom hayom (מתוך ערפל כחום היום)
    (من الغشى مثل حر النهار) Min Al3'sha Mithl 7arr alna-har

Come now, come to me, oh.. mother*
    Na bo'i, bo'i elai yama (נא בואי, בואי אלי ימה)
    (تعالي, تعالي يمه) Ta3alee, Ta3alee Yamah
    *(I find it more appealing than seawards but see what's fit)

Please come to me
    Na bo'i elai (נא בואי אלי)
    (تعالي لي) Ta3alee Lee

Please kiss my two eyes
    Nashki na et shtei 3einai (נשקי נא את שתי עיני)
    (بوسي لي عيوني الثنتين) Boo-see Lee 3eonee Althin-tain

Come now, come to me.
    Na bo'i, bo'i elai (נא בואי, בואי אלי)
    (تعالي الآن, تعالي لي) Ta3alee Al'an, Ta3alee Lee

Sham biktze hayam 3omed adam (שם בקצה הים עומד אדם)
    (هناك على حافة البحر ولد واقف) Hinnak Ala Haffit Alba7r Walad Waqif

Kakh 3omed nidham velo mevin (כך עומד נדהם ולא מבין)
    (واقف كذا مشدوه و ما فاهم) Waqif Katha Mashdooh Wa Ma Fahem

Who will bring to me from the distance
    Mi yevi elai min hamerkhak (מי יביא אלי מן המרחק)
    (من يجيب لي من بعيد) Ma-n Yejeeb Lee Min Ba3eed

An illusion of a house and a saviour?*
    Ashlaya shel bayit vego'el... (אשליה של בית וגואל)
    (سراب بيت و المنجي) Sarab Bayit Wa Almonjee
    *(I didn't get to understand this part clearly)

I hope this is sufficient. Please, put the youtube link of the full song. I hope I get the time to put both languages subtitles in the video. Thanks again for your wonderful addition.

5. il9 said:

Sorry for the wait. Here's what I've found:

Somebody else's translation from Arabic to English, perhaps there are some bits you prefer:
    I begin by praising The Merciful in all His glory You who hear my supplications, utmost in your magnificence Please bring happiness to my weary heart To You I complain of my wronged heart I went down to the valley, not even knowing my path down there. To see a youth with green, adorning his temples, I told my mother that my heart loves him.

I've also found that apparently: "with green" implies that the person was adorning themselves with Basil. Basil is a sweet smelling herb that is often used as a perfume of sorts in traditional communities.

Note that where I wrote "come now", I didn't mean "come [at this moment]". I'm trying to represent the word נא, which shows the will of the person saying it, for the other person to do what they said. It's like please but not as strong. Also not as strong as من فظلك, I think.

كذا :I think هكذا is a correct translation for ככה, but I don't know if كذا means the same thing, or if it is more fitting in this context.

I don't think you need (البنت) because طالعه shows feminine? I just wrote it in the English version because there aren't genders in English so you would not know to whom the line refers.

The last line: I think you translated it correctly into Arabic. The Hebrew suggests (but not for definite) that the illusion is of both the house and the saviour/redeemer, rather than an illusion of a house, and then a real saviour. Does the Arabic represent that?

Also, according to someone else, yama in the Hebrew part means seafarer. I'm not sure about the validity of that, though.

This video contains all of the song and his introduction of it, but there is also something else after it which is not relevant. There are no captions on it, so that's a bonus.

http://youtu.be/HHQxyxQQPio

Here is my semi-final draft:

אני אתחיל לקרוא אלייך, (אל) רחום
    Still not 100% sure
    הו אתה, ששומע התחננויות, הכל יכול
    שאל אותי על ליבי המותש
    מתלוננת לך על ליבי המדוכא
    אני ירדתי אל הוואדי, לא יודעת איך לרדת לתוכו
    פגשתי בילד ירוק (צעיר) עם שיער מסולסל
    ואמרתי אוי אמא ליבי כבר אוהב אותו

6. Ash4u said:

The translation you find is very good. It's more poetic than mine and the green dilemma had been resolved.

Will, the exact translation could confuse the read, you just have to find the most appropriate translation without dropping many words or meaning.

For come now I used تعالي الآن which is the exact translation if you want to adjust it, you can put تعالي لي which means come to me. I used it also with please come.. since أرجوكي, رجائي, من فضلك, لو سمحتي all too long and not comfy with the song flow.

I tried to use the Yemeni accent with it since 60% or more of Ofra Arabic singing in the song is the Yemeni dialect (جعوده, قليبي). For that I used كذا but هكذا is also acceptable.

I put بنت cuz u put women in brackets and I put it in brackets.. ah, remember. U can drop it as u said.

For the last line. I just translate literary and when I read it I felt a bit random but I guess it could hold a special meaning (traditional or religious). It's ur translation from Hebrew so u should decide.

Also for yama u see what does fit.

I love this youtube copy of the song. It's very clear.. although I get bored with the presenter intro.

There is also a whole bunch of Arabic singing in the dancing segment. I'd translate it later.
    For the English translation of the Arabic section I'll use the one u put recently. Try to adjust ur Hebrew translation to this new rendition.

If u want me to revise any thing more, plz let me know.

7. il9 said:

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. I hope you are still interested in the translation. The wait is because I wanted to get the translation perfect but it think we will have to settle for 90%. It's probably a hard translation even for someone trilingual in English Arabic and Hebrew.

Here is my final decision, your final piece in Arabic seems fine, after your explanations. (If you remove البنت)

הייתי מתחיל לקרוא אלייך, אל רחום
    הו אתה, שומע ההתחננויות, הכל יכול
    שאל אותי על ליבי המותש
    אני מתלוננת לך על ליבי המדוכא

אל הוואדי ירדתי, ולא ידעתי את מורדו
    פגשתי בילד ירוק (רומז בושם ריחן או שהוא צעיר) עם שיער מסולסל
    ואמרתי אוי אמא ליבי כבר אוהב אותו

Also, here is the Arabic in Hebrew transliteration, it may be useful for some:

שבדע בכ אדעיכ יא רחמן
    יא מורתג'י יא עט'ים אלשאן
    סלני עלא גלבי אלתעבאן
    אשקי עלייכ גלבי אלמט'לום

אנא נזלת לילוואדי וולא עארף נוזולִיהּ
    אנא לגאית ולד אח'דר מינדש ג'עודה
    אלא ווגולת יאמה גד גלייבי יחביהּ

Is this for a specific purpose or did you just like the song? Will you do anything else with the translation now?

8. Ash4u said:

As u said it is hard translation and what we r doing here is a fan-based work. 90% translation accuracy is totally fine.
    I became interested in Ofra Haza cuz her mother used to be a famous singer back in Yemen. Ofra is trying in her work to mix both Jewish and Yemeni-arab cultures which I find an admirable work. I had been working on other song for Ofra - Daw-Da-Hiya which has alot of Arabic lyrics. I'm gonna put it here later.

As for the dancing session after Ofra's performance (it is in the youtube video u put earlier, thanks a 1000 :-) ), I translated the lyrics for that session, please take a look at it and tell me what u think:

(بدعتبك وما بدعت بإنسان) Bada3-tbak Wama Bada3t Beinssan (x2)
    I begin by praising to you, never praising any humanbeing (X2)

(بدعتبك ياالله ياعالي الشان) Bada3-tbak Yaallah Ya3alee Alshan (x2)
    I begin by praising to you, God Almighty in your magnificence (x2)

(حلفت له اغني واشيل له بالصوت) Halaft Leih Aghanee Washil Leih Bes-sawoot (x2)
    Swore to Him to sing and rise the voice (x2)

(صلي على قلبي وارعاه لايجي موت) Sallee 3ala 8lbi Wir3ah La-yagee Maut (x2)
    Pray for my heart & protect it before death comes (x2)

(يامته ليه الموت ما نقول له) Yaomatah Leh Almaut Ma Ni8ool Leih (x2)
    Oh, mother.. why we donnot tell death (x2)

(نطرح جناح الظل ونحتكم له) Nitrah Jana7 Al6'il Wan7tikim Lieh (x2)
    We lay down the wing of the shadow and let it judge (x2)

(ياحبيبي فديتك روني باب بيتك) Ya7bibi Fa-daitak Row-annee Bab Baitak (x2)
    Oh, my love. I lay down my life for you. Show me the door to your house (x2)

(ريت لا اكون هويتك صبح ولا عشيه) Ray-it Laqoon Hawaitak Soobh Willa 3ashee-ah (x2)
    In case I missed you, day or night (x2)

(يامه هالولد هويت سمع الطير ماقال) Yam-ah Halwaleed Hawait Sam-ai Al6aier Ma-gall (x2)
    Oh, mother. I love this boy. Listen to what the bird said (x2)

(البيوت الكبر جنه ومن داخله نار) Albeuut Alki-bar Jannah Wa-min Da-9'illih Narr (x2)
    The big houses looks like paradise but hell from inside (x2)

(يا ويله لي قلبي لأنه ابوه من يلومه) Ya-waielah Lee 8lbi Lan-abooh Man-yloomah (x2)
    Oh, my word, I have my heart who dare to blame it (x2)

(إن صبر ماقدر وإن صاح شاعت علومه) In Sabar Ma-gadar Win Sa-ah Sha3at 3loommooh (x2)
    Could not be paitant if it tried and its news spread when it screams (x2)

(هالا ليليليلي هووو.. شن المطر وأنا بوادي اخضر) Hala leih-leih-leih-leih Hoo.. Shan Alma9ar Wana Fee Wadi A59'ar
    Hala leih-leih-leih-leih Hoo.. The rain starts to fall and I am in a green valley

(هالا ليليليلي هووو.. عايد عنا وحايي ضرسي فرجال) Hala leih-leih-leih-leih Hoo.. 3aid 3enna Wa7ai Thrsee Frgal
    ((NOT SO SURE ABOUT THIS ONE)) Hala leih-leih-leih-leih Hoo.. Come celebrate with us and be saluted among men

(هالا ليليليلي هووو.. وأنا فيدى لأمي ولأمي جنة) Hala leih-leih-leih-leih Hoo.. Wana Fida Loomee Waloomee Jannah
    Hala leih-leih-leih-leih Hoo.. I lay down my life my mother and to my mother the reward of paradise

(هالا ليليليلي هووو.. يا ساقيه خضراء يا موضع الناس) Hala leih-leih-leih-leih Hoo.. Ya-sag-eeah 59'ra Ya Mau-9'3 Al-naas
    Hala leih-leih-leih-leih Hoo.. the green well, the spot of people around you