Why do songs get stuck in your head?

Thread: Why do songs get stuck in your head?

Tags: None
  1. Bluemoon said:

Default Why do songs get stuck in your head?

Anyone know why different songs get stuck in your head? I read it has something to do with being neurotic, and being that I have OCD, that might fit. I'd have to say the worst is, "Can't get you out of my head" By Kylie Minogue
  2. montannie-annie said:

Default Answer found: Why do songs get stuck in our heads?

Hi Bluemoon~

I found some info regarding your question----it's a good question, been wondering the same thing for many years, myself. There are a few sources below. One website called Science of Music has all sorts of info and answers re: music. Here's what they had to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Science of Music
    Some psychologists theorize that 'earworms' are the brain's way of trying to close a gap in rhythm, scale of lyrics. Mozart's children, for example, used to taunt him by playing incomplete scales on the piano below his room, making him rush down and complete the scale because he couldn't stand to have the unfinished one in his head.
    Find more info here.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    Research in the US has found that songs get stuck in our heads because they create a "brain itch" that can only be scratched by repeating the tune over and over.

In Germany, this type of song is known as an "ohrwurm" - an earworm - and typically has a high, upbeat melody and repetitive lyrics that verge between catchy and annoying.
    More info here.

Quote Originally Posted by Last.fm
    Our brains are super amazing at interpreting and recognizing music, and there's not a computer in the world that can match them....
    I also found it very interesting to learn how music unlocks the brain, another BBC News article explains. That info found here.

Bluemoon, I think we should have started a new thread?! I guess you still could post that question and I could post this there too--- it would be cool to learn what others have learned about that subject as well!

~Annie
  3. kendricktamis said:

There are some song which stucks my head. They are:

1. Under my Umbrella
    2. Please Don't Stop the Music
    3. Amen by Kid rock
    4. The cuppycake song.
    5. Pour some sugar on me