greek- english- italian song please help meee!!

Thread: greek- english- italian song please help meee!!

Tags: None

emakaloulagani said:

Red face greek- english- italian song please help meee!!

Hi!!!
    Can anyone help me identify a Greek song which has also some English and Italian lines in it?
    In the chorus the Greek part says 'panta se sena tha gyrno' and the Italian one 'la mia vita ti darò'... I can't remember what the English part said but it was something like 'I can't live without you' or something like that. The singer is a woman, she sounded like Anna Vissi at the beginning but maybe it's not her, also during the song she's joined by a man too. Maybe it's a duet or maybe a group because I found some very similar lyrics from a Romanian band but maybe that's got nothing to do with this song because this one was Greek! The beat was dance, it sounded a bit like a dance song from the 80s.

Please help me!!!!!! Much appreciated
    Last edited by emakaloulagani; 10-11-2006 at 12:21 PM.
    Τι θα γίνει αύριο κανείς δεν ξέρει,
    για αυτό την κάθε στιγμή θέλω από σήμερα εσύ
    να την γλεντάς και να τη ζείς με την ψυχή σου...

tzina772000 said:

Maybe you are referring to Τρομερό (Tromero) practically the greek version of Tornero' of Michael Traistariu (the name is mispelled for sure). The greek version is singed with Tamta

emakaloulagani said:

Thanks!!!! That's just the song I was looking for! But is it very old? And what does tromero mean ? Is it just the word torneṛ misspelt?? Anyway efxaristw poly

4. dya said:

About the original song.
    The name is Mihai Traistariu. The title of the song is "Tornero" . The singer is Romanian and the song was presented in Eurovision last year, which means it's not an old song. I understood that Greeks loved it(now I see there is even a Greek version to this song) and I heard(at least that was the rumour around here) that Anna Vissi was a great fan of Traistariu during Eurovision....

emakaloulagani said:

Smile

Thanks dya! I really like this song and I've got some more questions: 1- how come the song is in Italian? Italian is my first language and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that someone in Romania sang in my language!! Of course here in Italy no one's ever even heard of either the artist or the song because people here only care about Italian songs or at most English, American and (I would like to know why) Spanish. And of course if you ask people about Eurovision most of them won't even know what it is... except a few people over 45/50 who remember having heard of it in their childhood... I think that's really a shame.

and my other question: how do you pronounce the name of this artist? I'm meeting some people from romania next month and I would like to make a good impression
    thanks

6. Selena_2006 said:

Default I'm romanian!

Hey!I'm a romanian girl , I live in Bucharest. I know the song is great! Mihai is just great , and he has a wonderful voice. I do like very much the version with Tamta. He made the lyrics in italian and english cuz he likes this two languages very much and it sounded nice to get a good place in Eurovision. you tell his name Mihai, just like this, like you read it. In english would be Michael. But he is romanian and you say it Mihai. and Traistariu.. you read it with accent on "u".
    You can ask me anything you want to tell you. and tell me how come you will meat romanian people ?

7. dya said:

Ema, Selena has given you a complete answer. He chose Italian and English for Eurovision, because this 2 languages are known by many people and the chorus could be catchy if the words are easy to pronounce regardless your mother tongue. If he sang in Romanian the song wouldn't have been so catchy because many people couldn't have pronounced the words.
    About how you pronounce his name. The first A in TrAistariu is actually a sound you don't have in Italian, it's close to the last sound in the English "the" or to the sound befor the "R" in "mother". Or, easier, when you don't know something and you just make that sound in english "Err..." Hope you understood.
    Now, if you need something else in Romanian to make a good impresion next week, don't hesitate to ask me. Our language is related to yours so it won't be hard to learn a few simple phrases.

Selena, Hi! Nice to meet another Romanian wandering around here. Do you know some Greek language? Maybe we could help eachother!

emakaloulagani said:

Smile thanks!!

Hi both of you! Thank you very much for your help I really appreciated it.
    I think I understood how to pronounce Traistariu because I'm familiar with the sound A you say even if in my language we don't have it. My teacher in England said it was like 'a punch in the stomach' because it's short and it's the sound you make when someone punches you in the stomach... is that the one? I know our languages are related and it will be very interesting to learn something so thanks for offering to teach me some expressions.
    I would like to learn how to say 'hi' and 'thank you' and for the moment that will be enough I think, otherwise I'm scared there'll be no subject of conversation with the Romanian guys I'll meet next month!
    And that takes me to Selena's question: I'm in my penultimate year at school and we're doing a project with Greece, France and Romania and next month we're all meeting in Greece for this purpose. That's why I said I'll meet people from your country, although I don't know from which city yet.
    That's all! Thanks a lot for your help and if you need any help with Italian and also with Greek just ask!

And there is always my question: what does tromero mean in Greek? Is it just the word torneṛ misspelt?

9. dya said:

Ema, that's the sound! Good explanation from your teacher!
    Now: Hi is "Salut" or "Buna". You pronounce Salut exactly as it is written, all the letters are heard. "u" is pronounced like th oo in "root". In "Buna" the final 'a' is that sound
    Thank you is Multumesc. The same, you pronounce all the letters as they are, the "u" as i said earlier and the "t" in this word is another Romanian sound you don't have, english doesn't have it...hmmmm...tough one! Have you heard about the "Tzetze fly"? That's the sound! TZ from this word. Tz from Greek is close to our sound.
    Hope you understood something!

emakaloulagani said:

Thanks again dya!
    I think I understood most of what you said... If the t sound is like the Greek tz, then it's a bit like the English j or something like that. Is that right?
    And then.. could you tell me where the accents fall on these words? And what about the sound 'sc' in thank you, how do you pronounce that? In Italian that sound is pronounced 'sh' so maybe it's the same. Anyway, thanks a lot!

11. dya said:

Ok. Let's take it one by one.
    Accent: In Salut the accent falls on the second half of the word: saLUT. In Buna, the accent falls on the first half: BUna. In Multumesc, it falls on the last part of the word: multumESC!
    About the sounds:
    SC is read exactly SC; it's not a single sound, there are just 2 letters in a row. If you exercise it, I'm sure you can pronounce it. Like in "School" when you prounounce sc.
    T in "multumesc" is not like j in English, and not exactly like TZ in Greek. As far as I know, Greeks prounounce this sound close to z. In Romanian it's not at all close to z!!! It's difficult to explain, 'cause I can't figure out any example of this sound.....
    Wait, I have an idea How do you pronounce Titziano Ferro? The TZ sound? Because us, Romanians, when we say this name, the TZ from Titziano is the sound I'm talking about. Do you pronounce it z? If your answer is yes....I'll think about another example
    Or how do you pronounce Zewa(the brand)? The first sound in this word is the sound i'm talking about. If you pronouce it z...forget about this example
    Later edit: I found something that may help you. I hope I' allowed to give a link here: Romanian language, alphabet and pronunciation. Go at the first listening sample(Sample text in Romanian). The sound I'm talking about is to be found in the second word there, "fiintele". It's a T with a little comma under it. You'll find it in other words in that text. Listen to the way the speaker pronounces it.
    Last edited by dya; 10-14-2006 at 02:34 PM.

emakaloulagani said:

Thank you very much for the sample! Now I know how to pronounce that sound because it's a bit like the z in Italian. Of course it's a bit different because every language has its own 'sound' but I'm sure I'll get used to Romanian sounds when I start listening to people speaking. For the moment I'm concentrating really hard on Greek and, as I've been learning for over 5 months, I've become perfectly familiar with all its sounds and initially when trying to read the Romanian words you gave me I made them sound Greek because my mouth is 'trained' to make those sounds by now. But I really like learning languages so once I get in contact with these Romanian guys and listen to them I'll get used to Romanian sounds in no time! Anyway thanks again for your help

13. dya said:

You are so very welocome! Of course, when you'll hear someone saying this words you'll learn them immediately.
    As for Greek lanuage, I'm trying to handle it on my own, which is very difficult because of the pronunciation. The words I know how to pronounce are those from songs. Why? Because I hear someone pronouncing them. Otherwise, it's hard to figure out which is which So instead of learning the language in the classic way, I'm learning expressions from songs!! I'll get nowhere, I know!

emakaloulagani said:

I think that's one of the best ways to learn a language!! I've learnt sooo many new expressions from songs in Greek! And above all when I don't remember a word I learnt elsewhere I think of a song in which this word appears and along with the catchy tune of the song... there comes my word! It's really good fun. I don't think I'll ever stop learning new languages!
    But I've also got some other techniques for learning Greek which I'll pass on to you because you might find them useful. Most of what I've learnt so far comes from an internet course from the website Learn Greek Online!Welcome to the largest Greek School ever!More than 110,000 registered students !!! which is a very well structured course for beginners. But the lessons were recorded in the 1970s and although most of the language they use is still in use in Greece, they sometimes use old-fashioned words, so to complement my learning I always listen to a Greek radio and try to read as much modern language as possible. At the moment I'm also learning some text message abbreviations which are really funny.
    As for the sounds... well, Greek words are really easy to pronounce and once you learn the basic sounds you've done most of the work. For example in most languages you can't tell where the accent falls on a word when you read it. In Greek you can because of the 'tonos' (accent) which is always there, on every word. And so learning new words is dead easy because you can pronounce them even without having to listen to a sample.
    If you can't find pronounciation rules anywhere I'll write them down for you. They were the first things I learnt in Greek.
    Let me know! Best wishes

15. dya said:

Ema, I found that website some time ago, but I can't seem to register. I tried several usernames and passwords, and everytime I click enter, the initial image returns, which means I'm not logged on. What is wrong there?
    About the accent. You say it's easy, but I don't know the hints. What do you mean by : " the tonos is always there, on every word"?! Am I supposed to "feel" the accent if I know how to pronounce the sounds?

emakaloulagani said:

I really don't know what's wrong with the website... To tell you the truth I haven't logged in for some weeks now but I remember that when I first registered it took several attempts before they accepted my form. I just kept trying and trying and trying till at last they said I was logged in. I don't know, keep trying and let me know.
    As for the tonos, well, to me this 'rule' has always been pretty natural because as I told you reading words and pronounciation rules were the first things I learnt in Greek. I think it's quite easy to learn, though, maybe you get confused because nobody ever explained this to you. Or maybe because you don't know the Greek alphabet. Actually, this is a quite serious thing that I didn't consider when I wrote that the tonos is always there. Do you know the Greek alphabet? If not, you're right about the accent because when Greek words are written in Latin letters the accent is omitted. On the contrary, when written in Greek, words always have the accent on them, so it's dead easy to pronounce them.
    I'll give you an example: the word 'tonos' in Greek letters is τόνος and as you can see the accent appears very clearly so there's no mistaking the pronouciation.
    If you don't already know it, I suggest you learn the Greek alphabet and if you can't find it I will write it here for you along with the pronounciation rules, ok?
    good luck and let me know how things go.

17. dya said:

Ohhh, ok, now I understand! That's why it isn't easy for me! indeed, I noticed that words written in greek characters have the accent, but I'm not quite familiar yet with their alphabet, so I'm still searching for the words written in latin So, that's it. I'll have to start learning the alphabet seriously, otherwise...no chance to ever learnthe language. Well, deep in my mind I knew it, I was just hoping I could find an easy way!
    I found the alphabet, I wrote it several times to get familiar with it, I got to the point where I can easily recognise/understand some of the letters. Just that...I'm not there yet, if you know what I mean

emakaloulagani said:

Good! That's really a great start!! Well yes, I'm afraid there's no other way to learning the Greek language than learning the Greek alphabet. But I think it's really fascinating lerning a language in a new alphabet! When I started I was really enthusiastic about it. And by starting off with the alphabet and then learning some words, the grammar etc I learnt really quickly. So maybe that's the best way to approach this language, that's why I suggest you forget everything you learnt so far (I mean, you just put it aside for a while) and start from the beginning, i.e. by getting familiar with the letters and immediately after that by learning the pronunciation rules, so that you can practice reading out loud on your own to acquire familiarity with the new alphabet. I'm not sure if that's the best method but it's the method I used to learn the basics of the Greek language and it proved very useful.
    So learn the alphabet, but almost simultaneously you need to learn the pronunciation rules (if u don't find them, I'll provide them to you, they're few and simple) and then start reading, reading, reading (which also implies that you start searching for song lyrics in Greek). At the same time it's a good idea to start following the kypros.org course in order to get started on actual language learning. But remember, NOT BEFORE having become familiar with the alphabet and the rules, otherwise it will all be a mess!
    If you find this too difficult please tell me and I'll try to help you along ok?

19. dya said:

Thank you very much, Ema! I'll do that. I found on different websites some pronounciation rules, but it would help me to have an organised list. So when you have the time, you could provide me with those rules you are talking about.
    I hope your method will work for me too, but I have a question: you said that almost simultaneously with learning the alphabet, you learnt the pronounciation, and you started reading out loud. Ok, BUT, how did you know that what you were pronouncing was the right thing? I mean, did you find some sites that could help you with the pronounciation of more than the basic words? I found sites which have the alphabet, the numbers, the basics(greetings, small talk, etc) but when it comes to vocabulary, real stuff, well there isn't anything. You know there are so many dictionaries of English on the net, and they have the pronounciation of every word; those are very helpful. Not only that you find out the meaning, the synonims, some contexts, etc, but you can also have the pronounciation. Is there any on-line dictionary that does this? That would help a lot to check pronounciation....

emakaloulagani said:

I'm glad you got started! Anyway the pronunciation stuff sounds really difficult the way you put it, but I can assure you that once you learn the rules it will come natural to you to pronounce the words the right way. Greek is in a way a phonetic language, like Italian and German, where every letter is pronounced and once you learn the basic rules you can easily read any word. It's different from English, where you have to hear the word pronounced or check the pronunciation on a dictionary to learn it. And as I said before, even the stress (tonos) is always there so it's really easy. Try to learn the pronunciation rules I'll give you and then tell me if you have any difficulties.

As I said the rules are few and simple, and mainly consist of pairs of letters which have each their own sound but which, when together, combine to form a different sound.
    Here they are:

-The letters ου form the sound 'u' as in 'root'
    - The letters ει and οι form the sound 'i' as in 'thing'
    - The letters αυ and ευ form the sounds 'av' and 'ev' (for example 'evharisto'= ευχαριστώ)
    -The letters αι form the sound 'e' as in 'end' (for exmaple είμαι= ime)

These are the vowel sounds. As you know some Latin sounds, i.e. d as in 'dog', g as in 'game' and b as in 'basic' don't exist in Greek because their equivalents (delta, gamma and vita) all represent softer sounds. These sounds are represented in Greek by combining pairs of letters together:

- The sound 'd' is represented by the letters ντ (for example the verb adeho which means 'I resist'= αντέχω)
    -The sound 'g' (as in game) is represented by the letters γκ or by a double gamma γγ (for example you probably know the word agalia which means hug- in Greek it's αγκαλιά and the sound g is represented by γκ)
    - The sound 'b' is represented by the letters μπ (for example the word the word babas which means dad in Greek is spelt μπαμπάς)

These are the basic pronunciation rules. Then there are the sounds ts and tz (τσ and τζ) which in English are quite close to 'ch' as in 'cherry' and j respectively, and are often used to replace these letters in English derived words (for example sandwich = σάντουιτς and jazz= τζάζ). But they're not as important as the previous ones.

I understand that it's a bit confusing like this so please as I said if you have any difficulties/doubts or questions of any kind please ask me!
    Good luck!
    Last edited by emakaloulagani; 10-16-2006 at 07:30 AM.