Hidee Ho!

Thread: Hidee Ho!

Tags: None

Kerri Faye Yates said:

Default Hidee Ho!

Well, looks like I jumped on the bandwagon at just the right time! Actually, I found this site from a Google search-and it's perhaps the best writing site I've discovered yet!
    I'm so happy to be aboard.
    Anyway, my name is Kerri, and I'm addicted to writing. ("Hi, Kerri!" in small group circle chant)
    Well, I have a love for writing at least. I've begun my journey in hopes to rediscover myself through words.
    I am a journalism major and hoping to soon get an internship position at a local radio station. Heck, maybe someday you'll hear me or see me on TV reporting news, maybe even perhaps see my name as an editor for a magazine! I promise I'll sign autographs
    Wow, I realize how strange I must sound going back and re-reading this. My bad. I promise that yes, I'm weird, but I'm also very approachable. I can be a very blunt person, which sometimes gets me into trouble.
    I love writing song lyrics and singing them to myself, but I don't quite have a singing voice acceptable to others. Nor can I play guitar/piano, which is how I imagine the music to my songs being. It's quite sad, really, but perhaps someday I'll meet someone who can write the music to my lyrics and all will be hunky dorie.
    I'm an open book, so if you have a question or just want to chat, feel free to send a hello! I have many, many interests, and I can make friends with pretty much anyone. Give it a shot!
    Thank you all for welcoming me aboard with open arms. I can't wait to travel the seas with you. Hope you brought your life jacket!
    ~Kerri Faye

Loreley said:

Welcome!!
    Πες στα παιδιά μην σταματήσουν, να προσπαθούν τον ουρανό να αγγίξουν...

andreasfromUSA said:

Hi, Kerri. I can write lyrics, and play the piano, but don't have much experience composing yet. Anyway, I just registered for the forum myself and ran across your post. I put my intro somewhere, but apparently not in the correct place. Good luck with your writing and journalism career.

Tania ATL said:

Welcome onboard, Kerry! It seems you've got that easy-going pretty-chanting style of writing, your welcome note was very easy to read Go on!

Doug Denslowe said:

If you're familiar with Lyrics Review,you know both my lyrics and my comments on other people's threads.I usually don't "recommend" people,other than my ex- girlfriend who discovered this site because I told her about the songs I'd written about her after "bumping into her" on the street,purely by accident.What I'm getting around to is this:Kerri's songs/poems are some of the best I've seen in a long time!I highly recommend checking out her writing and leaving a reply!That's it!I think you'll be glad you did.

Kerri Faye Yates said:

Thank you! And good luck to you as well
    ~Kerri Faye

Kerri Faye Yates said:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Denslowe View Post
    If you're familiar with Lyrics Review,you know both my lyrics and my comments on other people's threads.I usually don't "recommend" people,other than my ex- girlfriend who discovered this site because I told her about the songs I'd written about her after "bumping into her" on the street,purely by accident.What I'm getting around to is this:Kerri's songs/poems are some of the best I've seen in a long time!I highly recommend checking out her writing and leaving a reply!That's it!I think you'll be glad you did.

You are seriously awesome Doug! Thanks so much
    ~Kerri Faye

andreasfromUSA said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kerri Faye Yates View Post
    Thank you! And good luck to you as well
    You're welcome. So you have the music in your head but can't play an instrument? If learning an instrument isn't a viable option for you right now, you might simply learn some basics of reading sheet music or guitar tabs. So you could "transcribe" the notes in your head. I've toyed with some software in which I can place (drag and drop/what you see is what you get/WYSIWYG editor) notes on a staff, hit play, and you'll get a "preview" of what it sounds like. http://musescore.org/ (musescore) for instance is free, open source software that can be used for this.

Additionally, some music theory can be learned without learning how to play an instrument.

But of course this depends on how much time one has, if one is good at "self-teaching," and priorities at the time, etc

There's also some "virtual pianos on the web." You can hit some keys and hear what it sounds like. (hint: find middle c and go from there ).

Or get a $5.00 plastic recorder on ebay and practice on that!
    Last edited by andreasfromUSA; 11-08-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: minor edits

WannaBFluent said:

welcome! where do you come from? you american?
    العربية (arabic) // বাংলা (bengali) // हिन्दी (hindi) // kurmancî (kurdish) // فارسی (farsi)
    ਪੰਜਾਬੀ (punjabi) // soomaali (somali) // தமிழ் (tamil) // türkçe (turkish) // اُردو (urdu)

Kerri Faye Yates said:

Quote Originally Posted by andreasfromUSA View Post
    You're welcome. So you have the music in your head but can't play an instrument? If learning an instrument isn't a viable option for you right now, you might simply learn some basics of reading sheet music or guitar tabs. So you could "transcribe" the notes in your head. I've toyed with some software in which I can place (drag and drop/what you see is what you get/WYSIWYG editor) notes on a staff, hit play, and you'll get a "preview" of what it sounds like. http://musescore.org/ (musescore) for instance is free, open source software that can be used for this.

Additionally, some music theory can be learned without learning how to play an instrument.

But of course this depends on how much time one has, if one is good at "self-teaching," and priorities at the time, etc

There's also some "virtual pianos on the web." You can hit some keys and hear what it sounds like. (hint: find middle c and go from there ).

Or get a $5.00 plastic recorder on ebay and practice on that!
    Weeeell, I play flute and a bit of sax! I played a little marimba years ago. However, I tried to learn piano and guitar and I think my problem lies somewhere within my fingers. It's super frustrating!
    I also took a few music theory lessons, so I know the basics, it's just applying them that is more of the issue.
    And I actually have musescore! Except I cant read guitar tabs or figure out how to use them in my scores :/ I hear it in my head, but I just can't reproduce it!
    Thanks for the suggestions
    ~Kerri Faye

andreasfromUSA said:

Weeeell, I play flute and a bit of sax! I played a little marimba years ago. However, I tried to learn piano and guitar and I think my problem lies somewhere within my fingers. It's super frustrating!
    I also took a few music theory lessons, so I know the basics, it's just applying them that is more of the issue.
    And I actually have musescore! Except I cant read guitar tabs or figure out how to use them in my scores :/ I hear it in my head, but I just can't reproduce it!
    Thanks for the suggestions
    It sounds like you have more of a musical background than I do. I think I could help you get started, if you'd like, send me a private message on the forum, and maybe we can arrange something you're comfortable with.

As for the piano, if you don't mind more of my advice, it's easy to get discouraged, the pace of learning an instrument seems so slow sometimes. What I do is try to notice each day even little improvements. From that, I remind myself I'm making progress. And then sometimes I notice "surges" in improvement. One day I'll really understand something better, or be able to suddenly be able to play part of a song much more proficiently. When I first started, my thumb and pinky could just barely do an octave, and after a week or two, it was no problem.

If you don't have a teacher, I recommend the Everything Piano Book by Evan A. Copp. I first got a copy from my local library, then I bought my own. It includes an audio CD so you can hear all the examples from the book.

I know next to nothing about the guitar, and don't know how to read tabs either.

Kerri Faye Yates said:

It sounds like you have more of a musical background than I do. I think I could help you get started, if you'd like, send me a private message on the forum, and maybe we can arrange something you're comfortable with.

As for the piano, if you don't mind more of my advice, it's easy to get discouraged, the pace of learning an instrument seems so slow sometimes. What I do is try to notice each day even little improvements. From that, I remind myself I'm making progress. And then sometimes I notice "surges" in improvement. One day I'll really understand something better, or be able to suddenly be able to play part of a song much more proficiently. When I first started, my thumb and pinky could just barely do an octave, and after a week or two, it was no problem.

If you don't have a teacher, I recommend the Everything Piano Book by Evan A. Copp. I first got a copy from my local library, then I bought my own. It includes an audio CD so you can hear all the examples from the book.

I know next to nothing about the guitar, and don't know how to read tabs either.
    I'm even thinking about selling my keyboard, that's the problem. I can't bring it here at school because there isn't room, so I don't get to practice anyway :/ If I could figure out how to compose piano music on musescore, I'd be all set! I just find it really difficult to wrap my mind around :/
    ~Kerri Faye

andreasfromUSA said:

I'm even thinking about selling my keyboard, that's the problem. I can't bring it here at school because there isn't room, so I don't get to practice anyway :/ If I could figure out how to compose piano music on musescore, I'd be all set! I just find it really difficult to wrap my mind around :/
    How are you coming along now? Did you wind up selling your keyboard?

Kerri Faye Yates said:

How are you coming along now? Did you wind up selling your keyboard?
    I started learning guitar a little less than a week ago. It's going alright, starting out slow! I have someone back home who is interested in the keyboard, but I won't be home until spring break so it has to wait until then!
    ~Kerri Faye

andreasfromUSA said:

Good luck with the guitar, Kerri.

Kerri Faye Yates said:

Good luck with the guitar, Kerri.
    Thanks! I know I'll need it. :P
    ~Kerri Faye