Female singer recommendations

Thread: Female singer recommendations

Tags: None
  1. cubix said:

Default Female singer recommendations

Can anyone recommend any good female singing artists who sing musical numbers (rock opera type) not classical or, who have strong powerful vocals and sing Broadway type songs? I particularly like some of the songs by Linda Eder but am not a big fan of cabaret, jazz, blues or folk. I am looking for country type songs and rock musical songs or good strong powerful ballads. I prefer the rarer singers rather than the usual Mariah Carey, Shirley Bassey, Linda Rondstat's etc., because I have heard all of them and am looking for some newer and probably less well-known vocalists.

I would love to hear your suggestions and hope that I can find some new singers to add to my collection
  2. pudin said:

The lead singers from epica and angtoria are great.
  3. luvnlife44 said:

Default I came across this lady on myspace

I think you should take look... Go to http://myspace.com/imantravieso
  4. LFV said:

Stevie Nicks / Christine McVie (Fleetwood Mac)
    Delores O'Riordan (Cranberries)

Tom-Scott Gordon said:

You ask an impossibly narrow question, presuming you actually have heard lots of the best singers out there. I strongly sympathize with your request here, this is exactly why I joined this forum. And I wish it were easier to clip & paste from iTunes, I would send you a complete list in a jiffy.

Now, you are saying you like those with the ability to actually DELIVER the goods, so we're talking total harmonic range, and/or subtlety of breath and tone, yes, no? I assume we might also try to be fair to the English speaking people? -Just kidding, let's *#86* them!

In English:
    Adrianne Leon, Dido, Catie Curtis, Anika Moa, Axelle Red, Beth Orton, Brandi Carlile, Brooke Fraser, Cheryl Wheeler, Cat Power, Deborah Coleman, HEM, and ABSOLUTELY Corinne Bailey Rae!

(also newcomer Carmen Rasmussen, Kris Delmhorst and as they're homey, but not too Nashville)

In French:
    Chimene Badi, Amel Bent, Amélie Veille, Carla Bruni, Daphne, Etienne Daho, Annie Villeneuve, Amel Bent, Alfa Rococo, Farah Kenza, Jane Birkin, Liane Foly, Isabelle Boulay, Jenifer, Marie Mai...

In Spanish (or maybe Italian)
    Césaria Évora, Ana Barbara, Michelle Branch, Loreena McKennitt,

(I am in love with all of them And I haven't a clue what they are singing about!)
    Last edited by Tom-Scott Gordon; 06-19-2008 at 01:30 AM.