WannaBFluent in Arabic? Follow me!

Thread: WannaBFluent in Arabic? Follow me!

Tags: None

WannaBFluent said:

Exclamation WannaBFluent in Arabic? Follow me!

FOREWORD

I am currently learning the Arabic language so I opened this thread to share my experience and to help you learn this beautiful language. I will post here what I learnt step by step, so you will be able to learn it aswell. I will try to keep it as simple and short as possible. Do not hesitate to come here regularly as I will update this thread continuously. Everytime I will write something in Arabic, I will use vowelization (tashkeel) to help you get the correct pronunciation as we do not have the required grammar level to read without that. May Allah help us in the learning of this beautiful language, the language of the Holy Qur'an. Amin.

ALL CRITICISM AND CORRECTIONS ARE WELCOMED. If you see any mistakes, please tell me. You can add whatever you want to help people learn Arabic on this thread, but please, this is Modern Standard and Classical Arabic ONLY. No dialects.
    And if you have any questions, feel free to ask, we are here to learn!

I am not going to talk about the Arabic alphabet and I will not describe how to read the Arabic script. So if you don't read Arabic, at least with tashkeel, learn it before reading this. There is a lot of ressources through the Internet to help you, learning to read Arabic script with tashkeel takes approximatively between 1 and 2 weeks. To learn how to read Arabic script, I strongly recommend this : https://ia601600.us.archive.org/11/i...ic-English.pdf
    Thank you for your comprehension.

And keep in your mind what Allah said in the Holy Quran :

“And how will you disbelieve (now) while you are (fortunate) ones to whom the Verses of Allah are recited, and the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him) is (himself) present among you? And whoever holds fast to (the Embrace of) Allah is most surely guided to the straight path.”
    (Sura A’l-Imran 3, verse # 101)

“And indeed We have made the Qur’an easy for direction and guidance, but is there anyone who will take advice?”
    (Sura Al-Qamar 54, verse # 17)

And what the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said :

“The Best amongst you is (he) who learns and teaches the Holy Quran.”
    (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Hadith # 4739)

“O Abu Zar! It is better for you to learn a single verse of Holy Quran in the morning rather to pray hundreds of Rakaat (Nafal Prayer)”
    (Ibn-e-Ma’ja, Volume 1, Hadith # 619)
    CHAPTER 1 : Words Classification

There are 3 categories for a word (كَلِمَةٌ) in Arabic :
    - the Noun (اسْمٌ) - the Verb (فِعْلٌ) - the Particle (حَرْفٌ)

Nouns refer to names of people, places or things. Verbs are doing words. They varie in tenses, the Past, the Present and the Future. Particles refer to prepositions, interjections, conjuctions, etc. The meaning of a particule can not be fully understood unless it is accompanied by a verb or a noun.

CHAPTER 2 : The Noun

The Indefinite and the Definite Noun

An Indefinite Noun (النَّكِرَةُ) does not denote a particular person, place or thing.
    examples : فِرَسُ (a horse) - رَجُلٌ (a man) - كِتَابٌ (a book)

A Definite Noun (المَعْلِفَةُ) denotes a particular person, place or thing.
    examples : الفَرَسٌ (the horse) - الكِتَبُ (the book)

To definite a noun, the article ال is prefixed to it. After adding this article, the noun loses its nunation and only one vowel sign remains.
    examples : وَلَدٌ _____ الوَلَدُ // وَلَدٍ _____ الوَلَدِ

When the Definite Noun begins by a moon-letter (الحُرُوْفُ القَمَرِيَةُ), the sound /ل/ of the article is pronounced.
    Moon-letters : ا ب ج ح خ ع غ ف ق ك م ه و ي

When the Definite Noun begins by a sun-letter (الحُرُوْفُ الشَّمْسِيَّةُ), the sound /ل/ of the article is dropped.
    Sun-letters : ت ث د ر ز س ش ص ض ط ظ ل ن

Then, the correct pronunciation of الحَكَمُ is al-7akam. While الشَّمَرُ is pronounced ash-shamar.

The Masculine and Feminine Gender

Nouns are assumed to be masculine by meaning وَلَدٌ (boy), ابْنٌ (son), or if they do not end in feminine suffixes بَيْتٌ (house), كِتَابٌ (book).

Nouns are feminine by meaning حَمِلٌ (pregnant woman), عَرُوْسٌ (bride), or if the word ends with feminine suffixes :
    - ta marbu6a (ة, ــة) like غُرْفةٌ (room).
    - alif maqsurah (ى) like سَلْمى
    - alif mamdudah like حَسْنَاءُ or صَحْرَاُ

Furthermore, there are some nouns which are feminine in accordance with usage, called مُؤَنَّثٌ سَمَاعِيٌّ as these ones :
    - the name of several cities, countries and tribes : مَكَّتُ (Mecca), قُرَيْشُ (Quraish), etc
    - those parts of the body which are in pairs : عَيْنٌ (eyes), رِجْلٌ (legs), أُذُنٌ (ear), etc
    - some elements of nature : رِيْحٌ (wind), شَمْسٌ (sun), etc
    - some other words : حَرْبٌ (war), خَمْرٌ (wine), etc

Some nouns are used as both masculine and feminine : بَلَدٌ (country), حَلٌ (condition), سُوْقٌ (market), etc

Some nouns are masculine (by meaning) even if they end with ta marbu6a (ة, ــة) which is generally a feminine indicator : دَعِيَةٌ (preacher), خلِيْفَةٌ (caliph).

To make a masculine word into feminine, you have to add the ta marbu6a suffix at the end.
    (daughter) ابْنٌ _____ ابْنَةٌ (son)
    (queen) مَلِكٌ _____ مَلِكَةٌ (king)

However, if the masculine word is on the patern أفْعَلُ the feminine counterpart is on the patern فَعْلاءُ so each masculine word starting by an أ and then having 3 letters with sukun, fat7a and dammah respectively, you just have to delete the أ then rewrite the 1st letter (which had a sukun) with a fat7a, the 2nd letter (which had a fat7a) with a sukun and the 3rd letter (which had a dammah) with a fat7a, and finally, you add اءُ at the end of the word.
    أَخْصَرُ ـــــ خَصْرَاءُ (green)
    أَصْفَرُ ـــــ صَفْرَاءُ (yellow)

CHAPTER 3 : The Three Cases Of Declension

١.) اللهُ خَالِقُ كُلِّ شَيْئٍ (٢.) اعْبُدُوْا اللهَ (٣.) إِلَى اللهِ المَصِيْرُ)

After reading these Quranic verses, notice that the last letter of the divine name الله carries a dammah, then a fat7a and finally a kasra. In fact the vowel sign on the final letter of a word keeps changing according to the grammatical function of the word in the sentence. This is what we call Declension (الإِعْرَاب).

There are 3 cases of declension :
    - Nominative (الرَّفْعُ) : indicated by a dammah on the final letter, the word is termed مَرْفُوْعٌ
    - Accusative (النَّصْبُ) : indicated by a fat7a on the final letter, the word is termed مَنْصُوْبٌ
    - Genitive (الجَرُّ) : indicated by a kasra on the final letter, the word is termed مَجْرُوْرٌ

Keep this in mind and we will explain the declension system later in sha Allah.

Note : All this is actually based on the book Lissan-ul-Quran written by the teachers of Madrasah Ayesha Siddiqua of Karachi, Pakistan, one of the most famous Islamic school in the world. But, I will use other books and ressources later.
    Last edited by WannaBFluent; 01-29-2014 at 09:05 AM.
    العربية (arabic) // বাংলা (bengali) // हिन्दी (hindi) // kurmancî (kurdish) // فارسی (farsi)
    ਪੰਜਾਬੀ (punjabi) // soomaali (somali) // தமிழ் (tamil) // türkçe (turkish) // اُردو (urdu)