Dariush - Shekanjehgar

Thread: Dariush - Shekanjehgar

Tags: None

Paul Orhan said:

Exclamation Dariush - Shekanjehgar

Lootfan, I'd love to see the lyrics of this wonderful song translated here.

A certain VeryNoble person once promised to "translate it one day" and I do believe this day has just come.

But I'd welcome any effort on the part of other Persian ATL Members.

Kheyli mamnoon in advance.

Dariush - Shekanjeh gar (Torturer)

2. veryclever1980 said:

Artist: داریوش Dariush
    Song: شکنجه گر Shekanjeh Gar (Torturer)
    Lyrics by: روزبه بمانی Roozbeh Bemani
    Music by: علیرضا افکاری Alireza Afkari
    Year: 1389 (2010)

شکنجه گر
    Shekanjeh Gar
    (Torturer)

رو به تو سُجده میکنم دری به کعبه باز نیست
    Roo beh tow sojdeh mikonam, dari beh Kaaba bâz nist
    I prostrate myself before you, (because) all the roads to Kaaba* are blocked*
    بس که طواف کردمت مرا به حج نیاز نیست
    Bas keh Tawaf kardamat, marâ be Hajj niyâz nist
    I have circumambulated** you for so many times that I do not need to go to Hajj**
    به هر طرف نظر کنم نماز من نماز نیست
    Beh har taraf nazar konam, namâz-e man namâz nist
    My prayers would not be accepted, if I did not face you***

مرا به بند می کشی از این رهاترم کنی
    Marâ beh band mikeshi az in rahâtâram koni
    You are enslaving me for setting me freer^
    زخم نمیزنی به من که مبتلاترم کنی
    Zakhm nemizani beh man ke mobtalâtaram koni
    You do not stab for making me more addicted^
    از همه توبه میکنم بلکه تو باورم کنی
    Az hameh towbeh mikonam, balkeh tow bâvaram koni
    I repent for everything unto all (the people) for making you believe me^^

قلب من از صدای تو چه عاشقانه کوک شد
    Ghalb-e man az sedâyeh tow cheh âsheghâneh kook shod
    How amorously my heart has been filled with the warmth of your voice
    تمام پرسه های من کنار تو سلوک شد
    Tamâm-e parseh hâyeh man kenâr-e tow solook shod
    All of my meanderings along you have become my manners^^^

عذاب میکشم ولی عذاب من گناه نیست
    Azvb mikesham vali azâb-e man gonâh nist
    I suffer but this suffering is not for my sins
    وقتی شکنجه گر تویی شکنجه اشتباه نیست
    Vaghti shekanjeh gar towyi, shekanjeh eshtebâh nist
    When you are the torturer, being tortured is justified^^^^

قلب من از صدای تو چه عاشقانه کوک شد
    Ghalb-e man az sedâyeh tow cheh âsheghâneh kook shod
    How amorously my heart has been filled with the warmth of your voice
    تمام پرسه های من کنار تو سلوک شد
    Tamâm-e parseh hâyeh man kenâr-e tow solook shod
    All of my meanderings along you have become my manners

عذاب میکشم ولی عذاب من گناه نیست
    Azvb mikesham vali azâb-e man gonâh nist
    I suffer but this suffering is not for my sins
    وقتی شکنجه گر تویی شکنجه اشتباه نیست
    Vaghti shekanjeh gar towyi, shekanjeh eshtebâh nist
    When you are the torturer, being tortured is justified
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *"Kaaba is a cube-shaped building in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, and is the most sacred site in Islam" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaaba.

In Islam, when people want to pray, they should face the direction of Kaaba. You can see more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salah.

However, this is a metaphoric sentence, and it can be interpreted in two different ways:
    1- Even God doesn't love the poet, so he wants to worship his beloved.
    2- Those people who pretend to worship God are so evil that they take over the holy places. (Here the poet blames pretense)

**This word is a formal word for walking around something. In Islam, if a person "circumambulates the Kaabeh seven times in a counterclockwise direction", the process is called "Tawf". Muslims do this in "the largest annual pilgrimage in the world", which is called Hajj. More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawaf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajj

In Persian culture and language, if you say you want to circumambulate something or someone, it means that someone or something is very dear to you, and you somehow worship it/him/her.

In this poem it means that the poet was so in love with his beloved that he would do anything for her.

*** Again, this line has some allusions to the formal prayer in Islam, when you should face in the direction of Kaaba. The acceptance plays the major role here. It means that the God of poet is his beloved and his prayers should be accepted by her instead of God. This blasphemy shows the losing of faith in the poet. If you look at it with a political point of view, you would see these three lines as an attack to Islam and the Islamic regime in Iran.

^ These two lines with their beautiful paradoxes again show the paradoxical nature of poet's love. At the same time, you can consider them as a way to attack fanatic Islamic beliefs. For example in the first line the poet wants to satirise this Islamic belief that the soul will be free if you yield to Islamic regulations.

^^ Another satire on Islamic beliefs. "Repentance" is when you repent for your sin unto God for purifying your soul. Here it means that the poet would do it only for the sake of his beloved.

^^^ It's a justification for all of Poet's sins and it means that if he did it with his beloved then it would be alright.

^^^^ These two lines attack Islamic regime, and you can find the allusions.
    Last edited by veryclever1980; 05-08-2011 at 03:42 PM.
    ***The translations have been done by Bijan Kardouni AKA veryclever1980***

3. veryclever1980 said:

For sure Pawel, today I will finish Qeysar by Dariush and then this song. Deal?
    Last edited by veryclever1980; 05-02-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Paul Orhan said:

Sure, luv!
    Make, as Italians say, una traduzione perfetta!

Paul Orhan said:

I love the lyrics, canIM!!!

PS. I only wish the lyricist continued the wonderful and meaningful metaphors included in the first two lines... It would make the lyrics so "hafezian".

6. veryclever1980 said:

Thank you so much for your support Pawel. I should also thank you for your useful comments along the way.
    It's ready and surely it needs more comments.

Paul Orhan said:

Cleverim!

Thanks a million for you translation and for your remarks posted below the poem.

I've read them carefully and was so disappointed at my inability of reading poetry, and Persian poetry especially!

You see, I completely misinterpreted this poem. To me, it was either a proper love poem or a painful declaration of love towards the author's motherland by a poet who cannot be there ("all roads to Kaaba are blocked" ... by the regime which prefers that he stays outside) but who is eager to endure every sacrifice to be able to come back to his country from his exile. His thoughts are meandering around his homeland all the time that it's become a ritual, a habit, an obsession.

His motherland is like a God to him and when he prays he tries to face into his country's direction. If he has to repent and be tortured for the sake of his motherland then he's prepared to do this 'cos he's so obsessed with it. The warm voice agreed so much, too - remembering all the lovely tunes, melodies and sounds of his country (perhaps from his childhood and youth) fills his heart with even more love.

I never saw any irony in the lines you pointed out - rather a proof of his true love for his country that no suffering/torturing/enslaving could destroy.

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyy

8. veryclever1980 said:

Don't get disappointed Pawel. Your interpretation can be one of the possible interpretations of this poem. Persian language is filled with ambiguity, so any word and any concept can have so many meanings.

According to the fact that the poet lives in Iran and he's sent his poetry to Dariush, we can see it from different points of view. You know, it could be just a tale of exile or a tile of "the alienation of the artist".

You're amazing, I'm proud of you.

Paul Orhan said:

Quote Originally Posted by One of Iran's Most Gifted Men
    Don't get disappointed Pawel. Your interpretation can be one of the possible interpretations of this poem. Persian language is filled with ambiguity, so any word and any concept can have so many meanings.
    Ufff, I'm saved then [Victory 1!]
    Well, no matter how we interpret it one thing's certain - the song's absolutely great! Both in terms of music and lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by One of Iran's Greatest Treasures
    You're amazing, I'm proud of you.
    I was just about to protest and write my usual stuff in such instances but then remembered the lessons I was giving you the other day so let me only say:

Thank you, my Friend! You're most kind! [Victory 2!]

amaryn said:

ambiguity is the cradle of the worlds' really beautiful languages - to them belongs the outstanding Farsi language, no doubt

being humble and yet proud of one's achievements will help even further to achieve what one's after: Bijan: I admire you with
    all my heart

11. veryclever1980 said:

Thank you so much Pawel and Amaryn. Ambiguity is an unalterable part of Persian poetry. Even in the weakest lyrics you can find this element. I always try so hard to transfer those ambiguities in my translations but I know that most of the times I fail to do this. Sorry about that

Paul Orhan said:

Quote Originally Posted by veryclever1980 View Post
    I always try so hard to transfer those ambiguities in my translations but I know that most of the times I fail to do this. Sorry about that
    Oh, STFU, Bij, just STFU!
    If only everyone "failed" the way you do...
    I forbid you to speak like that about your magnificent works here, you hear me???

amaryn said:

Bijanam! How else would I have discovered this ambiguity in the Farsi tongue if not by your translations? Ever thought about that?

Paul Orhan said:

Quote Originally Posted by amaryn View Post
    Bijanam! How else would I have discovered this ambiguity in the Farsi tongue if not by your translations? Ever thought about that?
    Totally, utterly, completely, undoubtedly SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kudos to you, Amaryn!

amaryn said:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Orhan View Post
    Totally, utterly, completely, undoubtedly SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kudos to you, Amaryn!
    kheyli mamnoon, Pawelam!

desert rose said:

Hi guys! Wanna thank dear Veryclever for this wonderful translation, and of course special thanks to Paul jan who posted that amazing Dariush's song. Wow, i'm so surprised cause the other day i was listening to Shekanjegar all day long! I translated it in general for myself but Veryclever's poetic translation is uncompareable and the notes to the song are just amazing! Dobareh mamnoon duste azizam <3
    عمیق ترین درد زندگی مردن نیست بلکه نداشتن کسی است که الفبای دوست داشتن را برایت تکرار کند و تو از او رسم محبت را بیاموزی

17. veryclever1980 said:

Quote Originally Posted by desert rose View Post
    Hi guys! Wanna thank dear Veryclever for this wonderful translation, and of course special thanks to Paul jan who posted that amazing Dariush's song. Wow, i'm so surprised cause the other day i was listening to Shekanjegar all day long! I translated it in general for myself but Veryclever's poetic translation is uncompareable and the notes to the song are just amazing! Dobareh mamnoon duste azizam <3
    Mamnoonam duste khoobam, Svetlana-ye aziz

Thank you so much for your nice and kind words. It's a very sophisticated song and I'm so happy you like it that much. I've had Pawel as my editor too, and with the help pf him I could do it.

You know my dear Svetlana, you can see it either as a pure love song or a very political one. In both cases, its beauty would haunt you for sure.

Thank you once again.