80s song... but you're going to hate me for this!

Thread: 80s song... but you're going to hate me for this!

Tags: None
  1. spectragirl said:

Default 80s song... but you're going to hate me for this!

All I remember is the lyric: "whoa OH oh oh". I only heard a male voice(s). It's definitely 80s because it was on an 80s only music station (played at someone's house, not sure what station so I can't look it up). It's a little slow and sad sounding and has a Tears for Fears kind of vibe. The "whoa's" take up a lot of the entire song - like whoa OH (upper note) oh oh (all drawn out, 2 beats each) and it sounds echoed or layered. Before that were six syllables that go up and come down. I know it's *very* little to go by, but it was so nice I had to ask. It sounded like a very simple 2/4 or 4/4 song.

It's not Tarzan Boy and it's not Things Can Only Get Better... hmm.
    Last edited by spectragirl; 04-20-2014 at 02:26 AM.

2. wurzlsepp said:

3. spectragirl said:

Quote Originally Posted by wurzlsepp View Post
    No, that's more upbeat than the one I heard! Thanks though

atmaestro said:

"The Longest Time" by Billy Joel was released in 1984.
    Other possibilities (not all are 80's groups)...

"Sweetness" by JIMMY EAT WORLD
    "Home" by Kelis
    Whoa Oh Oh Oh Oh" The Ascetic Junkies
    "Love Like Whoa" by The Ready Set
    "Stay Positive" by THE HOLD STEADY
    "Tonight Is The Night" by Outasight
    "Sierra Leone" by Mt Eden
    "Whoa Oh" by Selena Gomez
    "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon
    "You've Got Me Singing (Whoa Oh)" by HAVE YOU HEARD
    "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons
    "Good Time" by Carly Rae Jepson and Owl City
    "Whoa Oh Oh Oh" by Zombie Nation
    "I Will Show You" by From Ashes to New
    "Top Of The World" by OWL CITY
    "Whoa!" by BROKENCYDE
    "Some Nights" by FUN
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

5. wurzlsepp said:

my last stab in the dark before i give up: John Farnham - You're The Voice

6. spectragirl said:

Quote Originally Posted by wurzlsepp View Post
    my last stab in the dark before i give up: John Farnham - You're The Voice
    Has that same kind of sound, but no that is not it! Thanks, though!

As for the poster above, most of those were very modern lol. This was an 80s station on Galaxie radio, but it was too far back to find in the past 24 hours.

7. Chobot said:

Quote Originally Posted by spectragirl View Post
    All I remember is the lyric: "whoa OH oh oh". I only heard a male voice(s). It's definitely 80s because it was on an 80s only music station (played at someone's house, not sure what station so I can't look it up). It's a little slow and sad sounding and has a Tears for Fears kind of vibe. The "whoa's" take up a lot of the entire song - like whoa OH (upper note) oh oh (all drawn out, 2 beats each) and it sounds echoed or layered. Before that were six syllables that go up and come down. I know it's *very* little to go by, but it was so nice I had to ask. It sounded like a very simple 2/4 or 4/4 song.

The only song with Woooo WO WO WO I knew is Cheb Mami:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBRFxC7_3PA

8. RobbyT said:

Hmmmm, you never know:

Stranglers - Skin deep (1984)

Captain sensible - The Kamikaze millionaire (1989) a "ooh ooh"-rip off of the first song

9. wurzlsepp said:

Has that same kind of sound, but no that is not it! Thanks, though!...
    Okay, here's my very last try. I came across a song today which is very similar to "You're The Voice" also with lots of Whoa's. It's called "Man With A Vision" by the band Seven. Even the lead voice sounds like John Parr's one. Imho he lent his voice to the singer, since Parr produced and co-wrote the song (and indeed 1 year later he recorded the song under his own name).

Seven - Man With A Vision
    Last edited by wurzlsepp; 05-27-2014 at 10:36 AM.

10. D.j. Ant said:

Default The song u looking for

all i remember is the lyric: "whoa oh oh oh". I only heard a male voice(s). It's definitely 80s because it was on an 80s only music station (played at someone's house, not sure what station so i can't look it up). It's a little slow and sad sounding and has a tears for fears kind of vibe. The "whoa's" take up a lot of the entire song - like whoa oh (upper note) oh oh (all drawn out, 2 beats each) and it sounds echoed or layered. Before that were six syllables that go up and come down. I know it's *very* little to go by, but it was so nice i had to ask. It sounded like a very simple 2/4 or 4/4 song.

It's not tarzan boy and it's not things can only get better... Hmm.
    rick james you and i maybe what ou are looking for @djant863

11. gravy said:

Laura Branigan - Self Control

12. Claybricks said:

13. bodewalla said:

All I remember is the lyric: "whoa OH oh oh". I only heard a male voice(s). It's definitely 80s ...
    I have been looking for this song too. I believe you are asking for Tarzan Boy, by Baltimora. Great song!

14. bodewalla said:

Or it could be "Self Control" by Laura Branigan, another grat song from 80's.
    [p8-pP4VboBk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=85114404&x-yt-ts=1422579428&v=p8-pP4VboBk[/video]

15. Jkmuff said:

It's not an 80's song, but Swingtown by The Steve Miller Band would be worth a shot:

http://youtu.be/UbXx2ag6L4I

16. 80'sgirl said:

Default Mr. Mister - Kyrie

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9NDjt4FzFWY

17. savea said:

Default is it ..

I can't wait by Nu Shooz

18. the25thbus said:

Default Is it this?

https://youtu.be/BA65lg1HWt4
    I was looking for it myself aswell. Thought I'd help you.
    It has the really high oh.

19. robtitanrealtor said:

Default I think i found your 80s song cause i was looking for it too

Camouflage - That Smiling Face

20. robtitanrealtor said:

Default Let me know if this is the one

Camouflage - That Smiling Face

Slow, kind of sad, sounds like TFF or DPMode