SOLVED: Tom Waits-Esque artist, snippets of lyrics known

Thread: SOLVED: Tom Waits-Esque artist, snippets of lyrics known

Tags: None
  1. Swiff said:

Default SOLVED: Tom Waits-Esque artist, snippets of lyrics known

Heyo! I'm a newcomer on this forum, but I thought maybe you folks might be able to help me stop beating my head against a wall trying to remember the name of a particular song/artist.

A while back, I was tooling around youtube and stumbled across an artist whose vocal and musical style somewhat resembled Tom Waits, albeit appreciably smoother. There were two songs in particular that I greatly enjoyed, neither of which I've had any luck in finding again.

Song 1 was sung from the point of view of a loser about waist deep in booze, blabbing about how problems to a barkeep named Frankie. I actually believe I remember the entire chorus, though typing the lyrics into google got me no results, so it's possible I'm wrong. In any case: "Un mas cerveza Frankie, por favor. I must've left my wallet in my cadillac. I went back home my key don't fit no more. It won't be long until she takes me back." Despite that first sentence, it is NOT the country song titled "Un mas cerveza." I checked.

Song 2 is a dialogue of sorts between a songwriter and their (I assume) lover. Both "characters" are sung by the same person. The lover openly wonders why the Songwriter has never written them a song ("How come you've never wrote a song for me? Spend all your time picking on the guitar strings.") and requests one. I'm afraid I don't remember this one as clearly, save for a few more lines: "Got songs about drinking and songs about dying, but never wrote a song that I could call mine."

I hope that's enough to go on, but please do ask if you have more questions. If I can answer them I will. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: After reading some of the stickies, a bit more info: I heard this song in New Mexico, USA about three months back.
    Last edited by Swiff; 08-16-2014 at 12:35 PM.

2. nobobdylan said:

Swiff,
    Here you go:

I was walkin' in the pourin' rain
    watchin' the water rollin' down the drain
    I was soakin' like an old stray dog
    makes his way home in the mornin' fog

I held a lamppost up and clicked my heels
    There ain't no place like anywhere but here
    I thought about her as a cab rolled by
    I bit my lips just tryin' not to cry

Una cerveza Frankie, por favor
    I must have left my wallet in my cadillac
    I went back home my key don't fit no more
    it won't be long until she takes me back.

Great song. The artist you are looking for is: Jack Marks. The version you heard is probably with his old band out of Toronto Ontario: Lost Wages.
    They are no longer together as Jack is now living in Vancouver B.C. He is kicking around some of the clubs in Vancouver and is in the process of putting a new band together. I saw them play last night at the Savoy Pub on Hastings and Main, which is possibly the seediest intersection in North America (north of Juarez Mexico anyway).

Great music. Well worth tracking down if you are ever up this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiff View Post
    Heyo! I'm a newcomer on this forum, but I thought maybe you folks might be able to help me stop beating my head against a wall trying to remember the name of a particular song/artist.

A while back, I was tooling around youtube and stumbled across an artist whose vocal and musical style somewhat resembled Tom Waits, albeit appreciably smoother. There were two songs in particular that I greatly enjoyed, neither of which I've had any luck in finding again.

Song 1 was sung from the point of view of a loser about waist deep in booze, blabbing about how problems to a barkeep named Frankie. I actually believe I remember the entire chorus, though typing the lyrics into google got me no results, so it's possible I'm wrong. In any case: "Un mas cerveza Frankie, por favor. I must've left my wallet in my cadillac. I went back home my key don't fit no more. It won't be long until she takes me back." Despite that first sentence, it is NOT the country song titled "Un mas cerveza." I checked.

Song 2 is a dialogue of sorts between a songwriter and their (I assume) lover. Both "characters" are sung by the same person. The lover openly wonders why the Songwriter has never written them a song ("How come you've never wrote a song for me? Spend all your time picking on the guitar strings.") and requests one. I'm afraid I don't remember this one as clearly, save for a few more lines: "Got songs about drinking and songs about dying, but never wrote a song that I could call mine."

I hope that's enough to go on, but please do ask if you have more questions. If I can answer them I will. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: After reading some of the stickies, a bit more info: I heard this song in New Mexico, USA about three months back.

Amethystos said:

Quote Originally Posted by nobobdylan View Post
    Great music.

Great spotting nobobdylan
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

4. nobobdylan said:

I realized after going on and on in my post that I hadn't even mentioned the name of the song. Here goes.
    Song: Stray Dog
    Artist: Jack Marks
    Album: Blues Like These

Swiff,
    Here you go:

I was walkin' in the pourin' rain
    watchin' the water rollin' down the drain
    I was soakin' like an old stray dog
    makes his way home in the mornin' fog

I held a lamppost up and clicked my heels
    There ain't no place like anywhere but here
    I thought about her as a cab rolled by
    I bit my lips just tryin' not to cry

Una cerveza Frankie, por favor
    I must have left my wallet in my cadillac
    I went back home my key don't fit no more
    it won't be long until she takes me back.

Great song. The artist you are looking for is: Jack Marks. The version you heard is probably with his old band out of Toronto Ontario: Lost Wages.
    They are no longer together as Jack is now living in Vancouver B.C. He is kicking around some of the clubs in Vancouver and is in the process of putting a new band together. I saw them play last night at the Savoy Pub on Hastings and Main, which is possibly the seediest intersection in North America (north of Juarez Mexico anyway).

Great music. Well worth tracking down if you are ever up this way.

5. Swiff said:

I realized after going on and on in my post that I hadn't even mentioned the name of the song. Here goes.
    Song: Stray Dog
    Artist: Jack Marks
    Album: Blues Like These
    Oh woah! I had totally given up on ever finding it again! Thank you very much for the help, seriously! You're a saint! A Lyrical saint!