Help me translate: Proskinima by Nikos Dimitratos

Thread: Help me translate: Proskinima by Nikos Dimitratos

Tags: None
  1. zeeki said:

Default Help me translate: Proskinima by Nikos Dimitratos

I could not find this song already translated over the forum. It's one of my favourite Greek songs but I don't understand the exact translated lyrics.
    The name of the song in Greek is: "Προσκύνημα" and it is by "Νίκος Δημητράτος" You may listen to it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFYhKKQnZxk

Also, if someone could help tell me the background story of what is happening or where this song comes from, that would be awesome!

2. Trelloskilos said:

Quote Originally Posted by zeeki View Post
    I could not find this song already translated over the forum. It's one of my favourite Greek songs but I don't understand the exact translated lyrics.
    The name of the song in Greek is: "Προσκύνημα" and it is by "Νίκος Δημητράτος" You may listen to it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFYhKKQnZxk

Also, if someone could help tell me the background story of what is happening or where this song comes from, that would be awesome!
    Προσκύνημα - Proskinima. Pilgrimage

Πάμε κι εμείς στην αυλή του φθινοπώρου
    Pame ki emeis stin avli tou ftinoporou
    Let us go to the Autumnal gardens
    πίσω απ' τα πετρωμένα στάχυα του καλοκαιριού
    Biso ta petromena stahia to kalokairiou
    Behind the summer's stony ears
    πάμε κι εμείς στα παιδιά που κοιμήθηκαν
    Pame ki emeis sta paidia pou koimithikan
    Let us go to where the children slept
    κάτω απ' τα ματωμένα νύχια του περιστεριού
    Kato ap ta matomena Nihia tou peristeriou
    Under the bloodstained talons of a dove
    πάμε να δεις στην αυλή που μεγάλωσαν
    Pame na theis stin avli pou megalosan
    Let's go so you can see the garden where they grew up

Δυο παιδιά ερωτευμένα
    Dio paidia erotevmena
    Two children in love
    δυο παιδιά του χαμού
    Dio paidia tou kaimou
    Two doomed children

Ορέστη απ' το Βόλο
    Oresti ap to Volo
    Orestes from Volos
    Μαρία απ' τη Σπάρτη
    Maria ap it Sparti
    Maria from Sparta
    γυρεύω το γιο μου
    Ghirevo to yio mou
    I'm looking for my son
    Μαρία απ' τη Σπάρτη
    Maria ap it Sparti
    Maria from Sparta
    Ορέστη απ' το Βόλο
    Oresti ap to Volos
    Orestes from Volos
    την κόρη μου θέλω
    Tin kori mou thelo
    I want my daughter

This is only a rough translation. The song itself is a tribute to the casualties & dead of the Athens polytechnic uprising & massacre in 1973. The uprising occurred almost to the day 41 years ago.

The voices calling out over the end over the song are basically repetitions of the lines of the chorus. I assume they represent the voices of two concerned parents of two children caught up in the protest, trying desperately to find their children. I think Orestes & Maria are fictitious as I can't find any explicit references to them in relation to the significant figures of the event

But you're right. It is a beautiful, sad and poignant song that I can remember from my childhood. I remember asking my father what it was about, and irrespective of whether you speak Greek or not, the use of the 2 people towards the end, desperately calling out for their children, packs an emotional punch which transcends translation.
    Last edited by Trelloskilos; 11-18-2014 at 06:37 AM.

3. zeeki said:

Thanks Trelloskilos - listening to the song now (knowing the translation) gives me goosebumps