χρονια τωρα μακρια σου - (help!)

Thread: χρονια τωρα μακρια σου - (help!)

Tags: None
  1. Eli_Bantu said:

Smile χρονια τωρα μακρια σου - (help!)

Hello, everybody!

Need help! I decided sometimes ago to start learning Greek language on my own. I love Greece and I'd like to understand the language. I also like the music and, with few exceptions, the lyrics tell beautiful stories. So, I decided to ask for help starting now. I find the posts about the correspondence for the Greek alphabet (transliteration, pronunciation) and thank you again for that, but I have some questions. The lyrics below, for example, I made transliteration, but...

When "y" become "g"? And where can I find some grammar rules (verbs, times, etc.). At least some basic information.
    And of course I am in difficult with the correct translation of the lyrics. I believe I understand the idea, but is not enough (it's frustrating, actually ). Please, help me!

χρονια τωρα μακρια σου λιονω
    hronia tora makria sou liono
    στη καρδια μου εχεις βαλει πονο
    Sti kardia mou eheis(!) valei pono
    παντα εσενα σιλογειμαι μονο
    Panta esena siloyeimai (! "silogeimai" Y=g, when?) mono
    εφυγες και μερα νηχτα λιονω
    efiyes kai mera nihta liono

απ' το πονο της αγαπης κλαιω
    ap' to pono tis ayapis ("agapis", why "g"?) klaio
    το ονομα σου μερα νηχτα λεω
    to onoma sou mera nihta leo
    για το χωρισμο μας εγω φταιω
    gia (?) horismo mas ego (?) ftaio
    απ' το πονο της αγαπης κλαιω
    ap' to pono tis agapis klaio

ελα γυρνα πια κοντα μου λιωνω
    ela yirna pia konta mou liono
    τωρα δεν αντεχω αλλο πονο
    tora den anteho allo pono
    η χαρα εση μου δινεις μονο
    i hara edi mou dineis mono
    ελα γυρνα πια κοντα μου λιωνω
    ela girna (?) pia konta liono

(Some time ago I learn Russian, and I was even able to speak it well enough. But there was none to talk with, so... I still know the alphabet so it was easy for me to read in Greek - some letters looks like letters from Russian alphabet) - but still... I need some directions. If there are someone that could help me, I'll be grateful.
    Thank you!

Best wishes,
    Eli

2. Eli_Bantu said:

Hello!

Regarding my request, I find something useful for learning Greek language: http://www.greekgrammar.eu/.
    But until I become a Greek language speaker, please translate the song above for me ("Xρονια τωρα μακρια σου ").
    Thank you very much!

All the best,
    Eli

Amethystos said:

Quote Originally Posted by Eli_Bantu View Post
    Hello, everybody!

Need help! I decided sometimes ago to start learning Greek language on my own. I love Greece and I'd like to understand the language. I also like the music and, with few exceptions, the lyrics tell beautiful stories. So, I decided to ask for help starting now. I find the posts about the correspondence for the Greek alphabet (transliteration, pronunciation) and thank you again for that, but I have some questions. The lyrics below, for example, I made transliteration, but...

When "y" become "g"
    ? And where can I find some grammar rules (verbs, times, etc.). At least some basic information.
    And of course I am in difficult with the correct translation of the lyrics. I believe I understand the idea, but is not enough (it's frustrating, actually ). Please, help me!

(Some time ago I learn Russian, and I was even able to speak it well enough. But there was none to talk with, so... I still know the alphabet so it was easy for me to read in Greek - some letters looks like letters from Russian alphabet) - but still... I need some directions. If there are someone that could help me, I'll be grateful.
    Thank you!

Best wishes,
    Eli
    Well my friend, since there's no common transliteration rules for us to follow in every translation we create, if someone wants to define how every word's being spoken, then he/she should simply read the following -> http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=137502

As I wrote in there, Greek letters or double-letters have ONLY ONE way to be pronounced.

I'm glad you wanna try and learn Greek and I'll be happy to translate your request in a following post of mine.

Ps. Finally, to simply respond to your "G vs Y" question I'll describe the following example:

Γιώργος is a Greek common masculine name.
    While it is pronounced as "Yioryos" on his ID card written with Latin characters you can read "Giorgos".
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

Amethystos said:

Default Panta esena silogieme

[NfbpgSM8FjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfbpgSM8FjI[/video]

This is a cover of a song called "DADDY LOLO"

Χρόνια τώρα μακριά σου λιώνω
    Στην καρδιά μου έχεις βάλει πόνο
    Πάντα εσένα συλλογιέμαι μόνο
    Έφυγες και μέρα νύχτα λιώνω

Απ’ τον πόνο της αγάπης κλαίω
    τ’ όνομά σου μέρα νύχτα λέω
    Για το χωρισμό μας εγώ φταίω

Έλα γύρνα πια κοντά μου, λιώνω
    τώρα δεν αντέχω άλλο πόνο
    Τη χαρά εσύ μου δίνεις μόνο
    Έλα, γύρνα πια κοντά μου, λιώνω

For years I'm melting while away from you
    you've added pain on my heart
    I always think only about you
    You left and I'm melting night and day.

I'm crying cause of love's pain
    speaking out your name night and day
    Our breaking up was my fault

Enough! come back to me, I'm melting
    I now can't stand pain any more
    You're the only one to give me joy

5. Eli_Bantu said:

Hello, Amethystos

Thank you for advice, of course I saw your post, but it wasn't enough for me because I really want to learn Greek language and I'm doing it using the link mentioned above. It's excellent for anyone who want to learn this language. So, I've already learn the rule of Y before "i" and "o". And so many more. I'm excited, sorry if I was carried away. The grammar is easy, I also speak Romanian language, so I believe that's way it seems easy for me the Greek grammar. I saw some connections between the two languages, but I have to recognize I have to learn very well the Greek alphabet. And I will! (The Latin language grammar is harder then Greek language grammar. And I still know poetry's in Latin! ).
    I dare to ask: do you mind if I ask you for direction during my learning Greek language process? (Since you was the only one who answer my request... )
    Thank you very much!
    Best thoughts,
    Eli

6. Eli_Bantu said:

Quote Originally Posted by Amethystos View Post
    [NfbpgSM8FjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfbpgSM8FjI[/video]

This is a cover of a song called "DADDY LOLO"

Χρόνια τώρα μακριά σου λιώνω
    Στην καρδιά μου έχεις βάλει πόνο
    Πάντα εσένα συλλογιέμαι μόνο
    Έφυγες και μέρα νύχτα λιώνω

τ’ όνομά σου μέρα νύχτα λέω
    Για το χωρισμό μας εγώ φταίω

Έλα γύρνα πια κοντά μου, λιώνω
    τώρα δεν αντέχω άλλο πόνο
    Τη χαρά εσύ μου δίνεις μόνο
    Έλα, γύρνα πια κοντά μου, λιώνω

For years I'm melting while away from you
    you've added pain on my heart
    I always think only about you
    You left and I'm melting night and day.

speaking out your name night and day
    Our breaking up was my fault

I now can't stand pain any more
    You're the only one to give me joy
    Thank you for translation! I cannot help wonder what was in the soul and heart of the one who wrote this lyrics... The message is simple, but he/she use powerful words: love, pain, heart, cry. (I was carried away, of course. )

Eli

Amethystos said:

So, I've already learn the rule of Y before "i" and "o".
    As I already mentioned there's no rule for letter's pronunciation other than these on the link I provided;
    so of course there's NO rule like the "before or after any "i" and "o"" you wrote.

I dare to ask: do you mind if I ask you for direction during my learning Greek language process? (Since you was the only one who answer my request... )
    Thank you very much!
    Eli

You're welcome my friend, and of course you can freely post any of your questions in any of the two Greek sub-forums and either me or kmmy (who also knows Romanian) will respond

8. Eli_Bantu said:

[QUOTE=Amethystos;1033688]As I already mentioned there's no rule for letter's pronunciation other than these on the link I provided;
    so of course there's NO rule like the "before or after any "i" and "o"" you wrote.

I finally understand. I even listen to Afroditi too. Yes, no rules. Thanks!
    I still have some questions, but first I want to find the answer by myself. See you soon!

Eli

9. Erevos said:

Hello there,

I am an economist and i just quit my job, so i got some free time. I have already started give lessons of mathemacis (voluntarily) to pupils that can not afford private lessons (through a local non-profit organization here in my town). I got some more free time, so whoever needs some help with greek language or mathematics or anything i would be glad to help . I guess skype can do the job

Whoever needs some help, contact me. My skype: estranged_1