Help identifying rock song I heard on the radio 3-4 years ago - 'TV is...'

Thread: Help identifying rock song I heard on the radio 3-4 years ago - 'TV is...'

Tags: identify, rock, unknown
  1. Skulltabular said:

Question Help identifying rock song I heard on the radio 3-4 years ago - 'TV is...'

Hey I'm new here and I thought I might have a chance at finding this song I've been searching to find for like 3-4 years now. I need help identifying a rock song I heard a few years ago on the radio. The lyrics I heard (or at least I think I heard) are very limited so I will include a few more details, because it has been about 3-4 years since I last heard this song on Q Radio UK and it is a song that I try to find all the time. It was so wacky and melodic. When I first heard it, it instantly became one of my favourite songs, which is sad as I have only heard it once.

Genre: Funk/Worldbeat/Avant Garde - Definitely a sub genre of rock

Year: 80's or 90's, although this is a guess

Song Length: 3-4 mins

Year I heard it: Roughly around 2010-2012

Sounded Like: The Residents, Mr. Bungle, Les Claypool, The Beta Band, Early Peter Gabriel, They Might Be Giants (Melody Wise)

Please note: Although it is definitely NOT any of these bands or artists as I have personally checked myself.

The verse started with 'TV is...' or something that sounded like 'TV is...' and then gradually spewed out more nonsense lyrics as the background melody kept going up in pitch as the voice remained the same. It sounded a bit like this.

TV is...
    dah dah dah
    dah dah dah dah
    dah dah dah
    dah dah dah
    dah dah dah

And this is kinda of embarrassing but here's a video of the kind of sound that played in the verse background, it's from Rugrats. It's like a deep mans voice that has been altered in some way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJHHAd_tmLo There was a bit of that going on in the song, as I thought to myself, 'hey it kinda sounds like something from early Rugrats.'

But regarding the verse, the 'dahs' represent lyrics I couldn't comprehend in the song. As for the chorus, it went a little something like the following as a rough guide.

We are the people
    We are the world [2x]

Although of course it could've been something that rhymed with that, as I have had little luck searching those lyrics for the last few years. Most people have suggested it is that song by Empire of the Sun, or that charity song by Michael Jackson or whatever, this is not true. The chorus was very melodic, and I think it repeated itself 2 or 3 times.

I now have little hope that any one will know this song, as it's probably not very mainstream, but I thought I'd give it a go. I would be over the moon if someone could identify the song with these details. Help is massively appreciated.
    Last edited by Skulltabular; 02-12-2015 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Additional info I forgot to add.

atmaestro said:

This may be a wild goose chase but "Juliet Bravo" was a British television series on BBC1 between 1980 and 1985. One of the episodes was called "We are the People" (Episode 11, Season 6). Maybe there was a song produced for just that show/episode.
    Last edited by atmaestro; 02-13-2015 at 10:05 AM.
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

3. bugmenot1 said:

What about this song?

"The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" by The Flaming Lips
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjrUOlK2714

4. Skulltabular said:

@atmaster, Thanks for for the tip, I will see if I can find that episode anywhere to confirm whether the song is on there. But I must say that I have my doubts though as the song was on a proper radio station that only ever played real songs.

@bugmenot1, It's not that, but I actually quite like the sound of that song so I might check out that band, so thanks for that.

I will still have to keep looking, so any further help from anyone would be hugely appreciated!

5. bugmenot1 said:

"We are the people, we rule the world"

"Hungry Hearts" by Nause
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfzumrMG0a4

6. Skulltabular said:

@bugmenot1, It isn't that song but thanks for trying.