Please help with the lyrics of this very old song

Thread: Please help with the lyrics of this very old song

Tags: china, jazz, majestic hotel, shanghai, whitey smith
  1. Douglas Tam said:

Question Please help with the lyrics of this very old song

Hi, everyone!

I've found a very old song called 'When It's Night Time in Dear Old Shanghai and I am Dancing, Sweetheart, with You', sung by the American singer Whitey Smith. I've also been trying to ascertain the lyrics by listening to the song, as there doesn't seem to be this song's lyrics anywhere on-line. I've been able to identity most of the lyrics, but there're two parts which I really can't identify.

The song is on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8yjzPD5cs (the vocal part starts at 1:17). And the following is what I've got so far:

When it's night time in dear old Shanghai and I am dancing, sweetheart, with you.
    Then it's bright time in dear old Shanghai with our lips [...]:
    In my arms, dear, away from harm, dear, we'll have a rest at the world's 'gold mine'.
    While the moon shines brightly we'll make love – when it's night time in old Shanghai.

Please help me with identifying the underlined bits: I've no idea at all what '[...]' is; and I'm not sure if Whitey Smith did sing 'the world's 'gold mine'' (I think it's 'the world's 'gold mine'' because many Westerners were able to make a lot of money at Shanghai at that time (c. late 1920s)).

Also, feel free to correct me if I've got anything in other parts wrong.

Tahira said:

just a little bit.....

Then it's bright time in dear old Shanghai with our lips [...] so true

3. renaray said:

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Tam View Post
    In my arms, dear, away from harm, dear, we'll have a rest at the world's 'gold mine'.
    I hear:
    In my arms, dear, away from harm, dear, we will let the rest of the world go by.