Hello!
This is my first post. I work overnight as a nurse's assistant, so I don't have a measurable grasp on society.

A month or two ago, I was working and I had to stop what I was doing and listen to this woman sing. It was simply playing on the TV during a late night talk show's musical guest portion. I remember being mesmerized to the point where I was starting to choke a bit. Then I was interrupted and reality came rushing in, and it was back to work for me.

I regret not taking note of the singer's name or the show she was on. Tonight (I realize it's day but this is the middle of the night for me--I can't sleep), I decided to find this song. I thought it was going to be very easy but I remember so little about it.

The things I know:
She was a young solo artist. Light skinned black female singer. She had a commanding natural afro that I think was pulled back with a clip. She was a thick woman, and I think she was sitting. I think she played guitar. She wore red lipstick and sang with her eyes closed.
Her style was kind of a snappy soulful jazz. She had a phrase in the chorus that she repeated in a rapid-fire set; I can't remember the exact phrase. I think it was "Don't fight no more" or something similar.

It might have been the same night as the big dog show in Madison Square Garden this year.
Narrowed this down to February 16th or 17th on a late night talk show.

Hooray! I am excited to finally get some closure on this.
Maggie