Shakespearean Sonnet Based on Tabib Garah (George Wassouf)

Thread: Shakespearean Sonnet Based on Tabib Garah (George Wassouf)

Tags: None
  1. Georgig Wassoufian said:

Thumbs up Shakespearean Sonnet Based on Tabib Garah (George Wassouf)

Hi everyone,

So I had an assignment in my English class where we had to re-write a pop song into Shakespearean English, following William Shakespeare's rhyme scheme and use of the iambic pentameter. Naturally, I despise American pop music, so I chose an English translation of "Tabib Garah," by George Wassouf; now, I'd like to share the poem with you. It doesn't include EVERY lyric, as I was limited to only fourteen lines, but it still includes the majority of them. It was a bit of a challenge, but I think it came out well!

Here's my poem:

'Thou know’st mine art as a surgeon for hearts.
    I can heal those who find themselves infirm;
    But, alas, I remain awake at night,
    With the wounds that doth cause my mind to squirm.
    They hath seen me, thinking I live with wealth,
    Serenading with happiness and glee...
    Nay; pray ask in regards to my rough state.
    No medico can fix mine injuries.
    Thou know’st mine art as a surgeon for hearts,
    But come night I conceal my fateful pain.
    Mine darlings, I remain a broken man;
    How could ye relinquish mine love so plain?
    Much I’ve ached in biting ruination,
    Mine laugh a mere moan of desolation.'

These are the lyrics from which I worked:

'Tabib garra7, oloub en-nas adaweeha / I'm a surgeon, that cures people's hearts
    yama graa7, sehert el-leil adareeha / but I've stayed up all night to hide many wounds
    (2x)
    Shafouny 2alo methanny / they saw me and said that I was living in luxury...
    men kotr el far7 beyghanny / ... singing from all the happiness
    (2x)
    ta3alo wes2alo 3anny / come and ask about me
    (2x)
    ana elly beya graa7 ateba el kon ma teshfeeny / I have many wounds in me that all the doctors of the world couldn't heal

tabib garra7, oloub en-nas adaweeha / I'm a surgeon, that cures people's hearts
    w yama graa7, sehert el-leil adareeha / but I've stayed up all night to hide many wounds

ya 3ashe2een alby, zay el gharee, / oh lovers, my heart is like a wounded man
    zay el ghareeb ba2alo zaman / like a wounded man for a long time now
    ya nasyeen 7oby, neseeto ezzay, / oh you who forgotten my love, how could you forget it
    neseeto ezzay 7oby elly kan / how could you forget my love that used to be...
    (2x)
    feen el wo3ood, feen el 3ohood / where are the promises, where are the treaties
    (2x)
    feen el ma7aba wel 7anan, wel 7anan / where is the love and kindness, and the kindness

ya 3ashe2een alby, zay el gharee, / oh lovers, my heart is like a wounded man
    zay el ghareeb ba2alo zaman / like a wounded man for a long time now
    ya nasyeen 7oby, neseeto ezzay, / oh you who forgotten my love, how could you forget it
    neseeto ezzay 7oby elly kan / how could you forget my love that used to be...
    (2x)
    feen el ma7aba wel 7anan, wel 7anan / where is the love and kindness, and the kindness

(2x)
    (2x)
    ana elly beya graa7 ateba el kon ma teshfeeny / I have many wounds in me that all the doctors of the world couldn't heal

w yama graa7, sehert el-leil adareeha / but I've stayed up all night to hide many wounds

yama 2aseet yama, samty maraar, / I've suffered a lot, my silence is bitter
    samty maraar, de7ky aneen / my silence is bitter, my laugh is a moan
    da3et lebtesama, wel atr faat, / the smile was lost, and the train has left
    el atr faat men seneen / the train has left years ago (an expression means it's too late)
    (2x)
    (2x)

yama 2aseet yama, samty maraar, / I've suffered a lot, my silence is bitter
    samty maraar, de7ky aneen / my silence is bitter, my laugh is a moan
    da3et lebtesama, wel atr faat, / the smile was lost, and the train has left
    el atr faat men seneen / the train has left years ago (an expression means it's too late)
    (2x)

(2x)
    (2x)

yama graa7, sehert el-leil adareeha / but I've stayed up all night to hide many wounds'

-----------------
    What made is so difficult to create is that, for one, the English translation from which I was working was not done in the most perfect English; also, the format I had to follow was restrictive. I had to make 12 lines of quatrains, with a couplet at the end. Each line could have no more (and no fewer) than ten syllables, and there was a specific rhyme scheme associated with it. And, of course, I had to use that archaic-sounding English.

Anyway, 'Thank' me if you found it interesting, and please leave some feedback. I'd like to know what others think!

amira_daou313 said:

wow, this is really good!! Amazing job!!!! must have been SUPER tough doing this - i can't even make Shakespearean poems out of English songs themselves, but Arabic??? WOWWWWWWW. Respect.
    ♦ Fais de ta vie un rêve, et d'un rêve, une réalité ♦

Thank You Allah Life Is AMAZING.........
    miss you Lebanon ♥

Ana Lebnaniye <3 #turnup

3. Georgig Wassoufian said:

I did not see your message earlier! Thank you for reading and enjoying. I am now in the process of learning Arabic in college, so perhaps I can one day read Arabic lyrics themselves instead of using translations/transliterations.

Cheers!