omorfi said:

hahaha... Maybe that's true
    "Ποιος ταξιδεύει στα μάτια σου;
    Και ποιός ξαγρυπνά στο κορμί σου;
    Μάτια μπλε στα μεγάλα ταξίδια σου
    Θα'μαι εδώ θα'μαι πάντα μαζί σου"

2. Philadelphia said:

You both are so sweet !!!

It's a "Greekism" ... ΄"όπως εδώ, πουθενά" ... literally translated by Mazonakis "like here, nowhere" (I guess being sarcastic about the Greek "kamakia" on tourists of Summer especially!!!)

It actually means "there is no place like here" ... It's how you would say THAT in Greek ("like here, nowhere") ...

Or, maybe you both know all that already ... apologies if I "repeat" any "lessons" ...

3. dya said:

"όπως εδώ, πουθενά" This is something new! Thank you!

"kamakia" on the other hand is completely unknown to me! What does it mean and how do you write it in greek?

4. Philadelphia said:

"Kamaki" is a "plain" word !!! ... lol ... (Young children when they start learning to write, call words that are written with just the "ι", "ε" and "ο" as "plain" ...

So, "καμάκι" literally means "hook", the kind one uses for fishing ...

To "do kamaki", "go for kamaki", "be a kamaki" in Greek slang means to "go fishing for girls" (as it is mainly used as a "male" characteristic, without ofcourse suggesting that it would not be used by "females", NOR by a "male on a male" or "female on female" etc.) ... !!! In fact, to be "a kamaki", (ABSOLUTELY REGARDLESS of gender or sexual orientation), is to be the kind of person that is not serious about relationships and have only "flings", as the Americans would say ...

Does that explain it ok ?! ...

5. Philadelphia said:

Oh! It is NOT a BAD word ... !!!

This kind of thing is very "endearing" in the Greek culture ...

That's what Mazonaki's song is ALL about !!!!!

6. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    Oh! It is NOT a BAD word ... !!!

This kind of thing is very "endearing" in the Greek culture ...
    Ohh, I could see that in his eyes! expressive eyes, by the way! LOL! That's a challange!

7. Philadelphia said:

... As I feared !!! I meantion HIS "name" and you DON'T pay ANY attention to ANYTHING else .... !!!! o_O !!!!

Further up, I tried to explain what "kamaki" is!!! DID YOU NOTICE ATALL ?!?

8. dya said:

Of course I noticed! Didn't you see that I immediately made a connection there?! LOL! See, I learn fast! Keep giving examples like this and I'm not only gonna speak greek , I'm going to also dream in greek!!!

9. Philadelphia said:

Actually, I DO think you were dreaming in Greek, before even understanding a SINGLE word of Greek BECAUSE (as I understand it !) you were dreaming of MAzonakis ever since you heard of him ... lol ...
    (Mazonakis is Greek, therefore your dreams of him would also be Greek, get it ?!) ... lol ....

(I'm joking ... I know you would get the "connection" ofcourse!!!)

10. dya said:

Well, what can I say to this? I was dreaming in greek but not understanding a single word out of it! So I decided to start learning in order to be able to translate my own dreams! LOL!!!

Yeah, right, I'm way over that period when it was commonly accepted to dream my favourite actor/singer at night. Actually, if I come to remember, I never dreamt like this at night! Now, I'm just too old for this!

omorfi said:

I know everything there is to know about the kamakis, hahah. And nobody told me that "like here, no where" means "there is no place like here", but I understood it that way anyway. "όπως εδώ, πουθενά", that expression I haven't heard. So thanks!

We should introduce you to some new potensial Greek "teachers", not only Mazonakis
    "Ποιος ταξιδεύει στα μάτια σου;
    Και ποιός ξαγρυπνά στο κορμί σου;
    Μάτια μπλε στα μεγάλα ταξίδια σου
    Θα'μαι εδώ θα'μαι πάντα μαζί σου"