• Γιώργος Κοινούσης - «Οι Πιτσιρίκοι»
  • Giorgos Kinoussis - «The Little Kids»

Album: “3” (1974) (Zodiac - SYZP 88039)

Music/Lyrics: Giorgos Kinoussis

[gejS6BhM12E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gejS6BhM12E[/video]

There are some words that cannot be translated in english, and thus must be explained:
  • ”Ξυλίκι” (ksiliki) (little wood) was a game that children used to play (mostly boys). There were two or three teams of kids and two woods, a small one (called “kamoudí” and was 10-12cm) and a big one (called “kamoudóxilo and was 40-45cm). They were making a small paddle on the ground where they were placing “kamoudi”. The leader of the first team was hitting it with “kamoudoxilo” three times so it would go as far as it could get. If the players of the second team were managing to catch it in the air, then the game was over. If not, then the second team’s players had to reach “kamoudi” with only three steps. I they could reach it, they were the winners. Those who had lost, had to carry on their backs the kids of the winning team.
  • ”Χατζηκυριάκειο” (Chatzikiriakio) is a district in Piraeus. It got its name from Ioannis Chatzikiriakou (Ιωάννης Χατζηκυριάκου), who established a homonym orphanage in 1889.
  • ”Τερψιθέα” (Terpsithea) is another district of Piraeus, very close to Chatzikiriakio. It could be considered as the center of Piraeus.
  • ”Στάκαμαν” (Stakaman) was also a childrens’ game (again mostly boys’). It was popular from the ‘80s and before. The game was something like hide and seek, where you had to find the other ones. The boy who was managing to say the word “stakaman” first to the other, was the winner. Most of the times, the game ended with fighting. Probably, its name derives whether from the english phrase “Stick ‘em up”, or from the greek word “στάκα” (“staka”, =“wait”) and the word “man”.

Greek Transliterated English
Να ξαναγινόμαστε πάλι πιτσιρίκοι Na ksanayinómaste páli pitsiríki If only we could become again little kids
με κοντοπαντέλονο, μπάλα και ξυλίκι. me kondopandélono, bála ke ksilíki. with shorts, ball, and ksiliki.
Στο Χατζηκυριάκειο και στην Τερψιθέα Sto Hatzikiriákio ke stin Terpsithéa To the Hatzikiriakio and to Terpsithea
”Στάκαμαν” να παίζαμε όλη η παρέα. ”Stakaman” na pézame óli i paréa. all of us to be playing ”Stakaman”.
Να ξαναγινόμαστε πάλι πιτσιρίκοι Na ksanayinómaste páli pitsiríki If only we could become again little kids
με κοντοπαντέλονο, μπάλα και ξυλίκι. me kondopandélono, bála ke ksilíki. with shorts, ball, and ksiliki.
(Ρεφρέν)
(Chorus)
Παίζαμε και γελούσαμε, Pézame ke yeloússame, We were playing and laughing,
ξυπόλητοι γυρνούσαμε. ksipóliti yirnoússame. we were wandering around barefoot.
Παίζαμε και γελούσαμε, Pézame ke yeloússame, We were playing and laughing,
Ξένοιαστα χρόνια ζούσαμε. Kséniasta hrónia zoússame. we were living carefree years.
Η παλιά μας γειτονιά τώρα δεν υπάρχει, I paliá mas yitoniá tóra den ipárhi, Our old neighborhood doesn’t exist now on,
έγινε αγνώριστη, έχει πια αλλάξει. éyine agnóristi, éhi pia alláksi. it has become unrecognized, it has changed.
Κι απ’ τους φίλους τους παλιούς, μόνο τον Δημήτρη Ki ap’ tous fílous tous palioús, móno ton Dimítri And from our old friends, only Dimitris
είδα πέρσυ μια φορά στη Θεσσαλονίκη. ída pérsi mia forá sti Thessaloníki. I saw once last year in Thessaloniki.
Η παλιά μας γειτονιά τώρα δεν υπάρχει, I paliá mas yitoniá tóra den ipárhi, Our old neighborhood doesn’t exist now on,
έγινε αγνώριστη, έχει πια αλλάξει. éyine agnóristi, éhi pia alláksi. it has become unrecognized, it has changed.
(Ρεφρέν)
(Chorus)
Να ξαναγινόμαστε πάλι πιτσιρίκοι, Na ksanayinómaste páli pitsiriki, If only we could become again little kids,
που περνούσε η Κυριακή δίχως χαρτζιλίκι. pou pernoússe i Kiriakí díhos hartzilíki. when Sunday was passing without pocket money.
Στο βρεγμένο το ψωμί, ζάχαρη με λάδι, Sto vregméno to psomí, záhari me ládi, On the wet bread, sugar with olive oil,
τρέχαμε στις γειτονιές μεσημέρι - βράδυ. tréhame stis yitoniés messiméri - vrádi. we were running in the neighborhoods from afternoon until night.
Να ξαναγινόμαστε πάλι πιτσιρίκοι, Na ksanayinómaste páli pitsiriki, If only we could become again little kids,
που περνούσε η Κυριακή δίχως χαρτζιλίκι. pou pernoússe i Kiriakí díhos hartzilíki. when Sunday was passing without pocket money.
(Ρεφρέν)
(Chorus)
Να ξαναγινόμαστε πάλι πιτσιρίκοι Na ksanayinómaste páli pitsiriki, If only we could become again little kids,