Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Mitropanos - Roza

    I sort of understand the words of this great song by Mitropanos. I get that it's about Roza Luxemburg and that Mitropanos was a lifelong Communist,, but my question is what does the song mean? I find it very beautiful but frustratingly obscure. Can anyone explain what it's about?

    OK, here's my attempt at an English translation:

    Roza
    My dry and parched lips
    Are searching for water on the asphalt
    Vehicles pass close by me
    And you tell me that a downpour is waiting for us
    And drag me off to a dank club.

    We walk together along the same road
    But our cells are separated
    We are going back to a magic country
    I don't want to know any more what we are asking for
    It's enough for you to give me two kisses.

    You play me at roulette and you lose to me
    In a nightmare fairy tale
    My voice is now the voice of an insect
    My life a climbing plant
    You cut me off and throw me into the void.

    How does need become history?
    How does history become silence?
    Why do you look at me, numbed, Roza?
    Forgive me for not understanding
    What the computers and numbers are saying.

    My love made from coal and sulphur
    How has time changed you like this?
    Vehicles pass over us
    and in the fog and the downpour
    I sleep, hungry, by your side.

    How does need become history?
    How does history become silence?
    Why do you look at me, numbed, Roza?
    Forgive me for not understanding
    What the computers and numbers are saying.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to αρτος For This Useful Post:
    Amethystos (06-29-2017)

  3. #2
    Ange ou Demon Amethystos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Thanks
    688
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 674 Posts

    Although in these lyrics there is something that make you think about it, there's no evidence to prove that Roza is actually Roza Luxemburg.
    Mikroutsikos had asked Alkis Alkaios many times about the actual Roza but poet had refused to answer.
    If you found some meaning in these lyrics it's the outcome of your personal effort over the lyrics of a poem which "made" you eager to analyze it.
    Alkis Alkaios lyrics are full of enigmas, the same as Mano Eleftheriou's. Both of them denied to provide hints for a proper analysis of them.

    The one thing that is kinda strange to my eyes is that "Roza" was handed to Mikroutsikos back in 1976.
    Isn't it strange for a poet in Greece to write lyrics such as "What the computers and numbers are saying" when at the time there was no single computer in the whole country?....
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Amethystos For This Useful Post:
    αρτος (06-30-2017)

  5. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Amethystos View Post
    Although in these lyrics there is something that make you think about it, there's no evidence to prove that Roza is actually Roza Luxemburg.
    Mikroutsikos had asked Alkis Alkaios many times about the actual Roza but poet had refused to answer.
    If you found some meaning in these lyrics it's the outcome of your personal effort over the lyrics of a poem which "made" you eager to analyze it.
    Alkis Alkaios lyrics are full of enigmas, the same as Mano Eleftheriou's. Both of them denied to provide hints for a proper analysis of them.

    The one thing that is kinda strange to my eyes is that "Roza" was handed to Mikroutsikos back in 1976.
    Isn't it strange for a poet in Greece to write lyrics such as "What the computers and numbers are saying" when at the time there was no single computer in the whole country?....
    OK thank you very much for your reply.

    Sorry who is Mikroutsikos? Interesting that it may not be about Roza Luxemburg. I wonder how that connection was made? Did Mitropanos ever comment about who Roza is and what the song means or did he interpret it as about Roza L because of his political views? Yes it does seem odd about computers.

  6. #4
    Ange ou Demon Amethystos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Thanks
    688
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 674 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by αρτος View Post
    OK thank you very much for your reply.
    You're welcome my friend.

    Quote Originally Posted by αρτος View Post
    Sorry who is Mikroutsikos? Interesting that it may not be about Roza Luxemburg.I wonder how that connection was made?
    Mikroutsikos is the composer.
    All I'm saying is that we can't be positive about song's protagonist, although certainly Roza Luxemburg is a good candidate....
    I can imagine that if Alkaios' beliefs was "leftish" that may have been the reason behind the myth.

    Quote Originally Posted by αρτος View Post
    Did Mitropanos ever comment about who Roza is and what the song means or did he interpret it as about Roza L because of his political views? Yes it does seem odd about computers.
    I'm unaware about any Mitropanos comment concerning lyrics meaning. Mitropanos in any way is not responsible for it, his character was only the "medium" for the connection between song's creators and the public. Of course he was the absolute match btw.....

    As for the year .... well I'm currently not even sure about the decade.
    Most of the sites write about the exact year as 1976 but Mikroutsikos has said that 10 years prior to Mitropanos' version, he had offered the song to Alexiou. If it was a new song, then we are talking about 1986 which is a period that people could buy some kind of computers.
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

  7. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Amethystos View Post
    You're welcome my friend.



    Mikroutsikos is the composer.
    All I'm saying is that we can't be positive about song's protagonist, although certainly Roza Luxemburg is a good candidate....
    I can imagine that if Alkaios' beliefs was "leftish" that may have been the reason behind the myth.



    I'm unaware about any Mitropanos comment concerning lyrics meaning. Mitropanos in any way is not responsible for it, his character was only the "medium" for the connection between song's creators and the public. Of course he was the absolute match btw.....

    As for the year .... well I'm currently not even sure about the decade.
    Most of the sites write about the exact year as 1976 but Mikroutsikos has said that 10 years prior to Mitropanos' version, he had offered the song to Alexiou. If it was a new song, then we are talking about 1986 which is a period that people could buy some kind of computers.
    Thanks so much once again for your help. Can you recommend any further reading / websites on Alkaios and his songs? I read Greek (not so fluently, but enough).

  8. #6
    Ange ou Demon Amethystos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Thanks
    688
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 674 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by αρτος View Post
    Thanks so much once again for your help. Can you recommend any further reading / websites on Alkaios and his songs? I read Greek (not so fluently, but enough).
    Some of his songs (There are some translations, just click on the english flag to the right column of the table) -> http://www.stixoi.info/stixoi.php?in...lyricist_id=72

    Here's some kind of summary of his work -> http://www.ogdoo.gr/prosopa/afieroma...-grafi-tou-oli

    And here's an effort by some enthusiasts to analyze "Erotiko" (in greek) -> http://www.12830.gr/forum/logotexnia...alkhs-alkaios/
    Last edited by Amethystos; 11-11-2017 at 07:08 PM.
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

  9. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Amethystos View Post
    Some of his songs (There are some translations, just click on the english flag to the right column of the table) -> [url]http://www.stixoi.info/stixoi.php?info=Lyrics&act=index&sort=alpha&lyrici st_id=72[/url]

    Here's some kind of summary of his work -> [url]http://www.ogdoo.gr/prosopa/afieromata/alkis-alkaios-i-grafi-tou-oli[/url]

    And here's an effort by some enthusiasts to analyze "Erotiko" (in greek) -> [url]http://www.12830.gr/forum/logotexnia-poihsh/erwtiko-alkhs-alkaios/[/url]
    Many thanks, Amethystos, for your help. I look forward to reading all of this!

Similar Threads

  1. Dimitris Mitropanos-Roza
    By AlinaBordeanu in forum Greek lyrics translation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
  2. Mitropanos Roza
    By babykoukla in forum Greek lyrics translation
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-21-2008, 01:41 PM
  3. Mitropanos-Roza!!! help
    By emyiakab in forum Greek lyrics translation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 11:40 AM
  4. Dimitris Mitropanos - Roza
    By mitko2025 in forum Tabs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 12:16 PM
  5. mitropanos - roza
    By moro in forum Greek lyrics translation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 01:22 AM

Posting Permissions