Trying to pinpoint 80s song...

Thread: Trying to pinpoint 80s song...

Tags: None
  1. Cabiria said:

Default Trying to pinpoint 80s song...

Hey! 👋🏾

So I was at a restaurant in Chicago (I was told to specify where I heard it since that may factor in...makes sense) today and a song came on that I'm fairly certain is from the 80s. The best thing I got right now is that the song ended with someone going "ba da da da, buh ba da da da, buh ba da da da, buh ba da da da..."

It's similar in tempo to something like "Don't You" by Simple Minds. It's definitely a synthpop, new wave sound. And I've definitely heard the song before. I imagine it was at minimum a moderate hit. I don't hear it as much as most staple 80s songs, but it should be fairly recognized upon listening to it.

I tried all of the usual suspects that I could have thought may have sung it. Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, A Flock of Seagulls, etc. and couldn't find it. That's not to say that one of these bands couldn't have sung the song, because I naturally wasn't able to listen to all of their catalogue, but just giving an idea of my trail as I searched. I didn't bother with bands like The Smiths and New Order since I'm fairly knowledgeable about both their catalogues and recognize their sound enough to know that it wasn't them. I'm not a huge 80s junkie but the bands from the 80s that I do enjoy I tend to know pretty thoroughly. So I can confidently remove New Order and The Smiths from the equation.

I will provide more info as I remember it. In the meantime, thank you very much for your time! 😁

2. jp123456 said:

The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) ?

3. Cabiria said:

Quote Originally Posted by jp123456 View Post
    The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) ?
    No, it's not that upbeat. The tempo is slower. But it does end with the ba da bop thing. The tempo is similar to "Don't You". I would say it's love ballad-ish but not fully. There's room for debate there.