Ζηλεύω & Σάββατο(Μαζωνάκης)- εξηγήσεις *

Thread: Ζηλεύω & Σάββατο(Μαζωνάκης)- εξηγήσεις *

Tags: None
  1. dya said:

Default Ζηλεύω & Σάββατο(Μαζωνάκης)- εξηγήσεις *

Ok, to be honest here, everything started with Ζηλεύω !!!I had it translated by a very nice person in here, at a moment when I didn't know anything in greek except kalimera! I was interested in the translation only. Now, looking over the translation, I have some doubts related to word-by-word interpretation.

As for Σάββατο, chronologically, it's the second song I found translated. The same, looking at it now, I have some questions.

Could someone be so kind as to take a look and make the necessary corrections/explanations/etc?

Ζηλεύω

Πάει πάλι πέντε, παρά πέντε It's 4.55, almost 5 (am)
    ργησες καρδιά μου, στην υγειά μου you are late, my sweetheart, cheers (to me)
    Ξέσπασα I relieved my feelings
    Πήγε πλέον έξι, ποιός ν αντέξει Now it's 6, who can stand this?
    κι έχω γίνει χάλια και μπουκάλια I'm a mess and bottles
    έσπασα I broke

Ζηλεύω, ζηλεύω I'm jealous, I'm jealous
    εσένα π' αγαπάω και λατρεύω, ζηλεύω of you that I love and I adore, I'm jealous
    Μου λείπεις και τα σπάω και χορεύω, ζηλεύω I miss you and I smash everything and I dance, I'm jealous
    Γιατί ακόμα θέλω ν' αγαπώ Because I still want to love
    Ζηλεύω, ζηλεύω I'm jealous, I'm jealous
    εσένα π' αγαπάω και λατρεύω, ζηλεύω of you that I love and I adore, I'm jealous
    Μου λείπεις και τα σπάω και χορεύω, ζηλεύω I miss you and I smash everything and I dance, I'm jealous
    Γιατί κοντά σου έτσι μόνο ζω Because this is the way I live with you

Έχει γίνει μέρα, φεύγω σφαίρα It's morning, I leave quickly /*faster than a speeding bullet ;-) */
    Φεύγω απ' το σπίτι, κι ας μου λείπει I leave the house, even If I miss her
    Χάθηκα I'm lost
    Πήρα τα κλειδιά μου, την καρδιά μου I took my keys and my heart
    Είπα να ξεφύγω, πριν να φύγω I thought I had to get away, but before I leave
    Στάθηκα I stood by...

Σάββατο

Μεσοβδόμαδο κάθε απόβραδο Middle of the week, every night,
    Σε θυμάμαι και βασανίζομαι I think of you and I suffer
    Κι η Παρασκευή μέρα θλιβερή And the Friday, is a sad day
    Του φινάλε μας η παραμονή I remember our sojourn

Κάθε βράδυ του Σαββάτου Every saturday's night
    Κλαίω και είμαι του θανάτου I cry and i am nearly dead
    εξαιτίας σου Because of you
    Τέτοια μέρα βγαίναμε έξω Such day we used to go out,
    τώρα μόνος πως ν’ αντέξω How should i overcome now
    Την απουσία σου your absence
    Την απουσία σου
    Την απουσία σου

Πέμπτη το πρωί λίγη συννεφιά Wednesday morning, a little cloudy,
    Μια γεύση από μοναξιά a touch of lonelyness
    Κι η Παρασκευή μέρα βροχερή And the friday, a rainy day,
    Κλαίει κι ο θεός που είμαι μοναχός God is crying because i am alone

2. Philadelphia said:

... to be honest, I only see few and minor "discrepancies" ... let me know when you are "ON" ... we can "talk" about it "live" ... maybe you can raise your "doubts" and explain what you need, then ?!? ...

3. dya said:

So:
    1: Χάθηκα= I'm lost, but Στάθηκα = I stood by. The first one is a participle and the second one a past tense? cause they seem to have the same ending...
    For example Ξέσπασα(I relieved my feelings) and έσπασα(I broke) have the same ending and are both translated with past tense. By the way, they kind of look the same to me, except one has Ξ at the beginning. Is just a coincidence or they derive one from the other(in meaning, i say)

2. How do you translate Πάει, exactly? What does it come from?

3. κάθε απόβραδο = every night, but Κάθε βράδυ= every night, too! κάθε= every, I know that. What about the two different forms of "night"?

4. εξαιτίας σου= Because of you. εξαιτίας is another way of saying "because" besides γαιτι?

5. Κλαίει κι ο θεός που είμαι μοναχός . Does this have the meaning of " Even God cryes because I'm alone"? I know about the use of κι to express the idea of "him/her too" .

6. I have a problem with matching the greek words to their english counterparts, in these phrases: 1. Του φινάλε μας η παραμονή & 2. Γιατί κοντά σου έτσι μόνο ζω

That would be all

4. Philadelphia said:

sorry, my server connections are too slow where I am now ... so, it always takes me time to go in and out threadss ... PLUS, I have to go in and out threads to "properly refresh" my "view of things" .... grrrr !!! ...

5. Philadelphia said:

Lightbulb

1: Χάθηκα= I'm lost, but Στάθηκα = I stood by. The first one is a participle and the second one a past tense? cause they seem to have the same ending...
    For example Ξέσπασα(I relieved my feelings) and έσπασα(I broke) have the same ending and are both translated with past tense. By the way, they kind of look the same to me, except one has Ξ at the beginning. Is just a coincidence or they derive one from the other(in meaning, i say)

"Χάθηκα" is ALSO "past tense" ... "χαμέν-ος, χαμέν-η, χαμέν-ο" would be the "participle/adjective" ...

"Ξέσπασα" ... you have made a very good remark !!! Well done! The word (Greeks not even realise it !) literally means "=to flow without any obstacles" ... so yes, it's sort of "breaking the boundaries and letting steam off" as the English would say ...

6. Philadelphia said:

By the way, "Στάθηκα" is "past tense" of "Στέκομαι" , (= to stand) ... and has like in English the meaning of "standing by" > "pausing" ... meaning "you don't walk anymore, you stand" , therefore the sense of "holding and pausing from whatever it was you were doing" ... you see ?!

7. dya said:

I'm right here, following your explanations!Thank you!

8. Philadelphia said:

ok ... any further questions ?! .. I am going to proceed and if you have any more inquiries, you let me know ...

9. dya said:

Up until here, everything makes sense! Go on!

10. Philadelphia said:

Lightbulb

2. How do you translate Πάει, exactly? What does it come from?

ok ... "πάω" derives from the ancient verb of "υπάγω" ... it's the same verb for "πηγαίνω" ... I guess used VERY commonly in Greek "verbalisms" because it's "shorter" (?!?) ...

As in English, "to go", it is also used in phrases like "μου πάει", literally meaning "(it) goes (with) me" > "it suits me" ... or, "σου πάω", literally "I go (with) you" > "I suit you" > "we are a match" sort of thing ...

ok, so far ... ?!

... "πάει" ... to explain next ...

11. dya said:

Yes, and if you get there, maybe you can translate this
    Πάει πάλι πέντε, παρά πέντε
    word-by-word, even if it doesn't make sense in english.

12. Philadelphia said:

... back ...

ok ... "πάει" is obviously in "singular third person" ... therefore, to mean =(it) goes ...

As explained (in a previous lesson about "time") ... "the passage of time" is "expressed by words that mean "to go" ...

... so, again instead of using the verb "πηγαίνω" ... yet another "Greekism" is using the "πάω" > "πάει" , to mean "(it =) the time, goes"

Subsequently, the phrase "Πάει πάλι πέντε, παρά πέντε" would literally translate to "it goes again five, five to" , to mean "yet again, the time went five to five" ...

... are we ok so far ?!

13. dya said:

OK! Now I got the meaning!

Hmmmm!!!!......I know THIS doesn't make any sense, but I'm a woman, therefore no need to try to understand what is going on in my head, right now!

So, I was just listening to a song (of course it's Mazonakis, no need to ask)- το λάθος μου το τελευταίο. I don't have the lyrics, so what's written below it's written by me from what I heard(if it's mispelt, sorry). Question: did I understand right the words?

Εισαι το λάθος μου το τελευταίο You are my last mistake? Which is better said to be: You are my mistake, the last one
    Εισαι το λάθος μου το πιο μεγάλο You are my biggest mistake? Which is better said: You are my mistake, the biggest one?

I can't really explain why I wrote this, I think it's just that it surprised me to realise I really start to understand words from songs! I just want to check if I understood correctly, and there was no need to open a new thread(!!!) for two lines, picked by me.

14. Philadelphia said:

Lightbulb

3. κάθε απόβραδο = every night, but Κάθε βράδυ= every night, too! κάθε= every, I know that. What about the two different forms of "night"?

ok ... actually, the word "απόβραδο" , does NOT mean "every night" ...

... "απόβραδο" means "late evening" > "before the very dark of night's time"

it's a "poetic" word, to describe the "time of night where heavy thoughts come to life" ... I would say that "απόβραδο" is the equivalent of "late-night", or even "twilight" (?!?) ...

yes ?! ...

15. Philadelphia said:

OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!

dya mou, this is SOOOOOOOO excellent !!! ....

YES !!! You ARE able to understand the songs now !!!!!!!!!!!!

BRAVOOOOOOOOOOO SOU !!!!!!!!!!!

16. dya said:

Ναι, ναι!

17. dya said:

The message above was the answer for your explanation.

My answer to your last messge, regarding my correct understanding of those lines will be: ΝΑΙ, ΝΑΙ, ΝΑΙ, ΝΑΙ!!!!!!!

18. Philadelphia said:

AND, by the way, STOP USING YOUR FEMALENESS AS IF IT IS AN "INCAPACITY" !!!!!!!!!!!

It is PRECISELY because of the WONDER of femaleness, that you are the way you are ... which is BEAUTIFUL ... !!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Philadelphia said:

Ref: your ORGASMS !!!

hahahahahahahaha

You are a very "capable woman", and very much entitled to her "ecstasy" ... VERY well deserved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am extremely happy for you .... !!!!!!!!!

20. Philadelphia said:

... dya mou, are you still there ?!? ...