Greek Classroom 1

Thread: Greek Classroom 1

Tags: None
  1. Hyperion said:

Dear Philadelphia,
    Dear Dya

Since it seems that this song is kind of important for both of you, allow me to be of some help.
    However, before I say anything else, let me tell you that this kind of songs is not my style at all. And for this reason, I have never listened to the song in question. Never the less, it is not hard for someone who speak Greek to guess which parts of the lyrics provided by Dya should be corrected. For this reason, I think it would be a good idea for me to start, by correcting the lyrics provided by Dya.

τι σε πιάνει και κλαις
    κάτι ώρες τρελές
    και φοβάσαι πως τάχα θα φύγω

πάλι μία φορά
    θα στο πω καθαρά
    και το θέμα ξανά δεν ανοίγω

και να θες, και να θες
    δε σ’ αλλάζω
    πάν’ απ’ όλα, καρδιά μου, σε βάζω

και να θες, και να θες
    δε σ’ αφήνω
    μια ζωή στη ζωή σου θα μείνω.

τι σε πιάνει και κλαις
    και ζητάς αφορμές
    αφού μόνο εσένα αγαπώ

κι άμα έρθει η στιγμή
    που με διώξεις εσύ
    πουθενά δε θα έχω να πάω

I guess that now it is easier for you, Philadelphia, to understand the answers to the questions you have set.
    So…
    1. The word you are looking for is “πάλι” and it means “again”.

2. The verse is “και φοβάσαι πως τάχα θα φύγω”. “Τάχα” is an adverb, and it is used in order to talk about something that is not real. «τάχα θα φύγω” = “that I may/might leave”.

3. You are right. The meaning is “I don’t change you for anybody else”

4. I guess he says “πάν’ απ’ όλα, καρδιά μου, σε βάζω”. In order for you to understand the meaning of this verse, allow me to slightly change the word order: “σε βάζω πάνω από όλα, καρδιά μου”. The he is calling her «καρδία μου”, which literary means “my heart”. This is a way to address to someone with great affection. And he says that she is “on top of everything” (the verb “βάζω” means “to place, to put”)

5. "αφού μόνο εσένα αγαπώ”: In here, the word “αφού” must be translated as “since”. So, you were right: the meaning is, “since only you I love”.
    About your other question, regarding the verbs “αγαπώ” and “αγαπάω”. Both of them are two different types of the same verb. See, the verb “αγαπάω, αγαπώ” belongs to the 2nd conjugational group of verbs, known as “contracted verbs”. And this is, because the ending the stem vowel and the vowel of the ending are contracted to a “long vowel”.
    As far as the verb “αγαπάω” is concerned (and the other verbs which are conjugated in the same pattern), this is the Present tense of the Active voice, in Indicative:

αγαπώ / αγαπάω
    αγαπάς
    αγαπά / αγαπάει
    αγαπούμε / αγαπάμε
    αγαπάτε
    αγαπούν / αγαπάω

6. No comment about the bonus special request. You are right.

I just hope I managed to help you a little bit.

2. Mpagasas said:

Do not fear Mpagasas is here hahahaha

Sorry I maybe not to speak in here but vre paidia ti pragmata einai ayta! You make a parexhghsh! And also this Hyperion! Man! You make the bigest parexhghsh edw mesa! Maybe you are so ekei panw you don't see what is edw katw! Ta paidia kanane ma8hma me ton Philadelphia kai sy evales ta 3era me ta xlwra! Kai na soy pw thn alh8eia tipota den katalaba ap' ayta poy eipes kai egw milaw ellhnika! Don't say Cypriots don't speak greek because 8a plakw8oyme! I tell you Cypriot greek is better greek because more near to original greek >>>> ancient greek! OK file moy? I can say that your name is very good for you!
    Now better I go to work. Geia se oloys sas.

3. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    ... this particular "post" I felt was ... "uncalled for" and quite "un-necessary" ...

... it made me "sad" and "upset", because I felt I was being "cordial" and "affable" ... throughout and with everyone, in this "Greek Lyrics Translations" forum ... or, atleast, I would like to think I tried my very best to be "warm" and "helpful" ...

... I, SPECIFICALLY, chose THIS name, to represent what I feel I am about ...

and now, I feel I lost the JOY this "name" gave me ...

I wanted to say "thank you" (in all the languages I learned from you), for all that I learned and received from you all ... you were, extremely generous with your OWN selves ... and I am grateful to you for that ...

Νά 'στε πάντα καλά !!!

Philadelphia

Well, talking about "clear communication", I can't leave things like this.
    First of all, there wasn't the slightest intention to offend you with my message. On the contrary, I may say, but obviously, I didn't manage that.

The first part of my message, about giving up on that verse, couldn't have possibly made you upset. It was a rational, logical thing to do. I said it before, and I'm saying it now again: apart for all the fun making about me and my Mazonakis threads, I DO NOT post songs in here because I'm dying to find out what he sings about. I use them for learning. Therefore, it's not a tragedy if I don't understand ONE verse. My learning on greek won't be affected at all by that. Besides, it was only obvious that the verse had something unusual, it was what is called "poetic licence", therefore it was not helping my purpose at all. I'm still struggling with greek basics so "poetic" ways of expressing things are not exactly what I have to learn at this moment.

If my saying that you can choose to ignore my next thread was the one that got you so upset, I apologise. But I didn't want you to believe I'm taking advantage of the situation and ask you to translate anything I post. Besides, it was clear enough for me that you were upset, so it felt necessary to tell you that I will understand if you choose to ignore my threads from now on.

You are and have been a warm, cordial, helpful person on this forum, and there are many others on this forum who could testify to that. I'm sorry that you lost the joy because of all the silly situation of last night. Or because of me.

I hope, as Omorfi said, too, that your message was not meant as a good-bye. People still need your presence around here. Omorfi is waiting for your long night-conversations, sirenceto is waiting for another lesson in greek basics, just to give you only two examples. If I'm the one who makes you feel uncomfortable, just ignore me. I wouldn't want the others to curse on me! I'll get out of the picture, because the others are not guilty of anything so they shouldn't suffer.

I don't know what else I could tell you as I already apologised and tried to explain things. And I meant everything I said.

If your name really represents you, you'll come back on the forum again, cause there are people here who will make you smile again. And whom you can help with your presence, your words, your lessons.

4. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Dear Philadelphia,

I guess that now it is easier for you, Philadelphia, to understand the answers to the questions you have set.

I guess he says “πάν’ απ’ όλα, καρδιά μου, σε βάζω”. In order for you to understand the meaning of this verse, allow me to slightly change the word order: “σε βάζω πάνω από όλα, καρδιά μου”. The he is calling her «καρδία μου”, which literary means “my heart”. This is a way to address to someone with great affection. And he says that she is “on top of everything” (the verb “βάζω” means “to place, to put”)
    Just to straighten things around here, a little.
    I was the one asking all the questions. This thread is derived from another one and Philadelphia copy-pasted my questions in here, maybe that's what led you into believing he was the one asking. In fact, if you had read carefully, you'd have seen he was the one answering. I'm the one who learns greek, he is a native speaker.
    And he's not listening to this kind of music either, that's why he couldn't tell about the verse as he didn't know the song. I'm the one who listens(which you could realise if you look at my threads )

Thank you for taking the trouble to answer all the questions, but again, if you had read carefully, you would have spared yourself from that: Philadelphia had already answered all of them.

As for the "dam-n" verse: YOU ARE RIGHT! That is what he says there. Now that I see it written, I realise it. I could understand na, pola but couldn't understand how they were related. THANK YOU for clarifying that for us! And thank you for your explanation of the entire verse. Now it makes sense!

5. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by Mpagasas View Post

Sorry I maybe not to speak in here but vre paidia ti pragmata einai ayta! You make a parexhghsh! And also this Hyperion! Man! You make the bigest parexhghsh edw mesa! Maybe you are so ekei panw you don't see what is edw katw! Ta paidia kanane ma8hma me ton Philadelphia kai sy evales ta 3era me ta xlwra! Kai na soy pw thn alh8eia tipota den katalaba ap' ayta poy eipes kai egw milaw ellhnika! Don't say Cypriots don't speak greek because 8a plakw8oyme! I tell you Cypriot greek is better greek because more near to original greek >>>> ancient greek! OK file moy? I can say that your name is very good for you!
    Maybe I would answer something to your post, IF I could understand it! Which I don't! You should have written it in greek characters, at least!
    The only thing I understand is your agressive attitude towards Hyperion, and I don't understand that cause he/she didn't say anything offensive....
    Then again, considering I don't understand your post, I'd better shut up!

omorfi said:

Hyperion might have been misunderstanding, but still came with some helpful information. As far as I understand it, Hyperion didn't say Cypriot-Greek wasn't Greek. Probably just missed the fact that Philadelphia is from Cyprus

Anyway, maybe I'm off "line" here... Just had to add that
    "Ποιος ταξιδεύει στα μάτια σου;
    Και ποιός ξαγρυπνά στο κορμί σου;
    Μάτια μπλε στα μεγάλα ταξίδια σου
    Θα'μαι εδώ θα'μαι πάντα μαζί σου"

7. Hyperion said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
    It seems that my previous post caused a misunderstanding in here. For this reason, I feel that I should explain myself.
    But before that, I feel the need to apologise to Philadelphia; because, for sure I did not mean to offend you, all the more to insinuate that his Greek is not good.
    In fact, here is how things are.
    Last night, I was looking for a translation for a Greek song. I was kind of sleepy, and for this reason not in the best possible condition to think clearly and to start translating. That’s how I found your site.
    I entered your site; I found the translation I wanted… And then, I saw this “Greek Classroom”. I must admit that I did not read every single post very carefully, since at that time, it was around 2-3 am in Greece. And for this reason, I got several things wrong.
    For example, I got the impression that both dya and Philadelphia were trying to understand what the song in question is talking about. Furthermore, the nickname “Philadelphia” made me think that Philadelphia lives in the US, in Philadelphia. And that’s why I was saying in my post “Never the less, it is not hard for someone who speak Greek…” I just thought that Philadelphia was a second or third generation Greek-American. And this is just because I didn’t read veeeeeeeeery carefully all of the posts of the thread. And of course I didn’t know that Philadelphia is Cypriot (How could I, after all? A mere “Junior member” I am, and in Philadelphia’s location is written “3rd planet from our Sun”.) And, of course, I didn’t get that it was Philadelphia answering to dya’s question.
    For all this “mess” my post created, once again I apologise; to all the people who are attending the “Greek Classroom”, and – most of all – to Philadelphia. I am really sorry; I just got wrong what I read. I just hope that my apology will be accepted.
    I would also want to add something more. Since, dya, you said that you are learning Greek, here are two books that might be proven of some help in the future:
    1. “Νεοελληνική Γραμματική, Αναπροσαρμογή της Μικρής Νεοελληνικής Γραμματικής του Μανόλη Τριανταφυλλίδη”
    2. “Συντακτικό της Νέας Ελληνικής”.
    Both these books are written in Greek, and for this reason they may be not of great help in your first steps in learning Greek. However, both of these books are used by all the High school pupils in Greece, and that’s why I am telling you about this. In case you want to download them, you can use the following link:

RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting

As far as what Mpagasas wrote is concerned, I do not intend to enter a fight with him for sure. I am not in here to fight with people. Besides, I wrote my previous post in my attempt to be of some help.
    For this reason, and in accordance with my will to be of some help, since Mpagasas says “Kai na soy pw thn alh8eia tipota den katalaba ap' ayta poy eipes kai egw milaw ellhnika!” I suggest that he should download the aforementioned books too, in order for him to learn about the conjugational groups of verbs, about what Indicative and Active voice are. In addition, I suggest that he should check a book of Ancient Greek Grammar (The book of Achilleas Tzartzanos would be a good choice), in order for him to learn what contracted verbs are. (Perhaps, I should have been more clear on a little something: the second congugational group of modern Greek verbs, corresponds to the group of the contracted verbs of the ancient Greek language. Perhaps this is the reason Mpagasas got confused.) In any case, since Mpagasas claims that his Greek are far better, I guess it is for him to illuminate us.

omorfi said:

Well we wont have any fights in our class room for sure...

And Hyperion, I'm sorry that you had to EXPLAIN yourself! Anyone can misunderstand, but to "attack" someone for that is another issue...

9. dya said:

Hyperion, thank you for the rapidshare link. I downloaded the books, and I can tell you for sure that, in this particular case, "everything looks greek to me"!!!LOL! But I'm sure they will be of great help a little bit later! I owe you! Not that I could be of much help, but anyway.....
    Ευχαριστώ πολύ!

As for your explanations, sorry you ended up in this situation. I, from my part, understood exactly where was the misunderstanding, therefore I took it as it was: a simple, non-offensive mistake. And I agree you shouldn't start a fight over this. It would be completely useless.

10. Mpagasas said:

Cool The Scoundrel returns!

Quote Originally Posted by Mpagasas View Post

First of all, allow me to introduce myself: my name is Mpagasas and I am a man that doesn’t like ASSUMPTIONS or, HYPOTHESES expressly regarding other persons, or indeed, other person‘s PROFICIENCIES! My name means a scoundrel or a mischief and was given to me by my friends in a jesting manner. My friends, who know my attributes, also appreciate that I can smell something’s “gone bad” from a long way away and that in addition, I am a very happy-go-lucky kind of guy!
    Since this is a forum for Greek lyrics translations I would like to make a rendition of the quoted passage and then leave this classroom that Philadelphia opened to help his friends and now they and others mouth off in his absence!

“…
    Do not be alarmed the Scoundrel is present being humorous

A courteous apology for the intrusion in this contained cheerful place of learning but, come on now guys it’s a shame; that’s not how good companies part! There is really a misapprehension of the situation! In fact, this ‘over-and-above-man’ utterly beyond belief, made the most colossal misconstruction within this place of engagement! This may be caused by the fact that you are up there and probably your prospect is hindered towards what is underneath! These guys were having a tutorial by ‘brother-loving-man’ and you discredited the ‘ripe with the young‘, as it were! And to tell you the truth, your account of exposition and reproduction of the Greek Language and Grammar, was uncomprehending and impassive, EVEN to someone who is quite cognizant and informed of what the Greek Language and Grammar entails! Please, abstain from suggesting that just because I am of Cypriot decent, I am therefore in no position to have knowledge of the Greek Language and Grammar, because that would be disastrous to your own prestige! I will have you know and it is as a matter of fact very well documented that, the Cypriot dialect and idiomatic nature is more closely associated and interconnected to the source and foundation of Modern Greek -the Ancient Greek Language-, than any other Greek vernacular of the present day! Do we understand each other, old chap? May I also add that, the ‘title’ you have assigned yourself (id est ‘over-and-above-man’), is indeed very befitting!
    Given the current situation that I am in, I have to dash to get to my place of employment.
    Cheerio to you all.
    …”

I do hope that the language I have used is comprehensive because, there are some whose English IS not so good, amongst other things!

And simply because I am such a Scoundrel : “Thank you for lending me your ears!” LOL LOL LOL

11. MariaJ said:

((**)) Mpagasas you are very funny guy!!!!!!!!!! hihihihi

12. Mpagasas said:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MariaJ View Post
    ((**)) Mpagasas you are very funny guy!!!!!!!!!! hihihihi

Why, thank you very much me lady! And may I say what an exquisite sense of humour you have!

13. palio said:

by the way thank you for the book.

14. kaenouryio said:

That is really weird! I haven't met anyone who speaks Greek as 1st language and doesn't know this book! And haven't met anyone who speaks Greek as a 2nd (etc,) language that would find this book useful! You must be the old exception of the rule!

omorfi said:

Well I had a class in Modern Greek, and we used a book that was only in Greek. We learned something at least

16. kaenouryio said:

Yes, my dear, I'm sure you did! But, it's probably NOT THIS particular book!

omorfi said:

Hehe, no it wasn't this book...