Soul reaching Greek songs -- Thread 1 *

Thread: Soul reaching Greek songs -- Thread 1 *

Tags: None

panselinos said:

Quote Originally Posted by quarkie68 View Post
    Do you think that greekmen can easily be teased?
    Positive. I'm married to one.

quarkie68 said:

Default Getting back to the point

I think the song was first performed by Vasillis Lekkas (Βασίλης Λέκκας), who worked extensively with Theodorakis throughout the years. There must be others as well, which is the point of a classic song. Everybody has more or less performed the title. But the most recent one which is also the one you are likely to find is done by Giannis Parios (Γιάννης Πάριος). Giannis performed live many of Theodorakis song during a famous gathering in the ancient theater of Lykabhttos in the Summer of 2001.

I was lucky to be there, I saw both of them performing their art, I felt how they eletrified everyone and IMHO, I can tell you it is the best performance you will ever get for the song. It was recorded on a live CD with title : "O ερωτικός Θεοδωράκης" (the erotic Theodorakis). See the link below

Wait reloading

Quote Originally Posted by alison69 View Post
    ..."quarkie" sounds just about right for somebody like you. Always with an answer. I #will# try harder.

BTW, to get back to the point, do you know who sings your selected song? You mention the composer, the lyrics writer, what about the singer. I want the singer(s) as well. Plural cause I think I have heard many performers. I could be wrong.
    "Είναι αρρώστια τα τραγούδια τι θαρρείς, βρες αγάπες άλλες φώς μου να χαρείς, τα τραγούδια που έχουν αίμα και καρδιά, είναι αρρώστια που δε γίνεται καλά"

quarkie68 said:

Smile OK then

Go on, tease then and get aallll the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by panselinos View Post
    "Είναι αρρώστια τα τραγούδια τι θαρρείς, βρες αγάπες άλλες φώς μου να χαρείς, τα τραγούδια που έχουν αίμα και καρδιά, είναι αρρώστια που δε γίνεται καλά"

quarkie68 said:

Default Greeks and their fears

"Δεν ελπίζω τίποτε. Δεν φοβούμαι τίποτε. Είμαι λεύτερος"

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

said by Nikos Kazantzakis, my favourite !

as for the "fears" (aka reservations) there are some, but not many

Quote Originally Posted by omorfi View Post
    I know what you are talking about! Sometimes I wonder if Greeks have any "fears" at all, LOL.

omorfi said:

"Δεν ελπίζω τίποτε. Δεν φοβούμαι τίποτε. Είμαι λεύτερος"

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

said by Nikos Kazantzakis, my favourite !

as for the "fears" (aka reservations) there are some, but not many
    Oh my God, think I just fainted.... LOL.

One of the few quotes that really made an impression on me. I was asking here a couple of months ago who had said it..

Too bad I can't "live" up to that quote... (except the first one.. I hope for nothing! haha)
    "Ποιος ταξιδεύει στα μάτια σου;
    Και ποιός ξαγρυπνά στο κορμί σου;
    Μάτια μπλε στα μεγάλα ταξίδια σου
    Θα'μαι εδώ θα'μαι πάντα μαζί σου"

panselinos said:

Και βέβαια το διασκεδάζουμε :d

panselinos said:

It's also his epitaph - written on Kazantzakis' tomb in Irakleio, omorfi mou.

quarkie68 said:

Default You can hope for everything

The "hope for nothing" bit has a long story and is not necessarily what it appears to be. Anyway, keep your spitits up omorfi. I sense a bit of pessimism here. I am sure you can hope for everything you wish and are determined to work towards achieving/having.

Oh my God, think I just fainted.... LOL.

Too bad I can't "live" up to that quote... (except the first one.. I hope for nothing! haha)

alison69 said:

Default Efxaristw kai pali quarkie moy

Nomizw tha agorasw to CD :-) . There, tried.

I think the song was first performed by Vasillis Lekkas (Βασίλης Λέκκας), who worked extensively with Theodorakis throughout the years. There must be others as well, which is the point of a classic song. Everybody has more or less performed the title. But the most recent one which is also the one you are likely to find is done by Giannis Parios (Γιάννης Πάριος). Giannis performed live many of Theodorakis song during a famous gathering in the ancient theater of Lykabhttos in the Summer of 2001.

I was lucky to be there, I saw both of them performing their art, I felt how they eletrified everyone and IMHO, I can tell you it is the best performance you will ever get for the song. It was recorded on a live CD with title : "O ερωτικός Θεοδωράκης" (the erotic Theodorakis). See the link below

Wait reloading
    ---
    "Paizeis mazi moy san th broxh, kai egw perimenw th dikh mas stigmh"

omorfi said:

It's also his epitaph - written on Kazantzakis' tomb in Irakleio, omorfi mou.
    Yes, that's how I got to know about it... (only seen a photo of it though )..

omorfi said:

The "hope for nothing" bit has a long story and is not necessarily what it appears to be. Anyway, keep your spitits up omorfi. I sense a bit of pessimism here. I am sure you can hope for everything you wish and are determined to work towards achieving/having.
    Well, and my story of "hope for nothing" is long too... And if you sense pessimism, it's because you are right..

Anyway, not the right subject to talk about..

quarkie68 said:

Default Να σαι καλά

και πάλι, και πάντα.

Quote Originally Posted by alison69 View Post
    Nomizw tha agorasw to CD :-) . There, tried.

panselinos said:

Speaking of classics, I'll put here some of my favourite ones.
    Most of these are well known poems by famous poets, set to music and turned into songs.
    I'll start, of course, with Odysseas Elytis. The music is by Mikis Theodorakis and the artist (at least the first one to sing it) is Grigoris Mpithikotsis - colossi.
    /Other artists: Giorgos Ntalaras, Giannis Kotsiras, Alkinoos Ioannidis/

Ένα το χελιδόνι

Ένα το χελιδόνι κι η άνοιξη ακριβή
    Гια να γυρίσει ο ήλιος θέλει δουλειά πολλή.
    Θέλει νεκροί χιλιάδες να ‘ναι στους Τροχούς
    Θέλει κι οι ζωντανοί να δίνουν το αίμα τους

Θέ μου Πρωτομάστορα, μ’ έχτισες μέσα στα βουνά.
    Θέ μου Πρωτομάστορα, μ’ έριξες μες στη θάλασσα.

Πάρθηκεν απ’ τους μάγους το σώμα του Μαγιού
    Тο ‘χουνε θάψει σ’ ένα μνήμα του πέλαγου
    Σ’ ένα βαθύ πηγάδι το ‘χουνε κλειστό
    Мύρισε το σκοτάδι κι όλη η άβυσσο

Θέ μου Πρωτομάστορα, μέσα στις πασχαλιές και Συ
    Θέ μου Πρωτομάστορα, μύρισες την Ανάσταση

Nikos Kavvadias - another exceptional poet.

Fata Morgana

Θα μεταλάβω με νερό θαλασσινό
    στάλα τη στάλα συναγμένο απ' το κορμί σου
    σε τάσι αρχαίο, μπακιρένιο αλγερινό,
    που κοινωνούσαν πειρατές πριν πολεμήσουν.

Πούθ' έρχεσαι; Απ' τη Βαβυλώνα.
    Πού πας; Στο μάτι του κυκλώνα.
    Ποιαν αγαπάς; Κάποια τσιγγάνα.
    Πώς τη λένε; Φάτα Μοργκάνα.

Πανί δερμάτινο, αλειμμένο με κερί,
    οσμή από κέδρο, από λιβάνι, από βερνίκι,
    όπως μυρίζει αμπάρι σε παλιό σκαρί
    χτισμένο τότε στον Ευφράτη στη Φοινίκη.

Σκουριά πυρόχρωμη στις μίνες του Σινά.
    Οι κάβες της Γερακινής και το Στρατόνι.
    Το επίχρισμά τ', αγιά σκουριά που μας γερνά,
    μας τρέφει, τρέφεται από μας και μας σκοτώνει.

The whole poem is much longer, but here I present it as it is sung by Mariza Kox (and Marios Fragkoulis, Alkinoos Ioannidis).

To be continued...

quarkie68 said:

Πολύ ωραίες οι επιλογές σου!

Speaking of classics, I'll put here some of my favourite ones.
    Most of these are well known poems by famous poets, set to music and turned into songs.
    I'll start, of course, with Odysseas Elytis. The music is by Mikis Theodorakis and the artist (at least the first one to sing it) is Grigoris Mpithikotsis - colossi.
    /Other artists: Giorgos Ntalaras, Giannis Kotsiras, Alkinoos Ioannidis/

Ένα το χελιδόνι

Ένα το χελιδόνι κι η άνοιξη ακριβή
    Гια να γυρίσει ο ήλιος θέλει δουλειά πολλή.
    Θέλει νεκροί χιλιάδες να ‘ναι στους Τροχούς
    Θέλει κι οι ζωντανοί να δίνουν το αίμα τους

Θέ μου Πρωτομάστορα, μ’ έχτισες μέσα στα βουνά.
    Θέ μου Πρωτομάστορα, μ’ έριξες μες στη θάλασσα.

Πάρθηκεν απ’ τους μάγους το σώμα του Μαγιού
    Тο ‘χουνε θάψει σ’ ένα μνήμα του πέλαγου
    Σ’ ένα βαθύ πηγάδι το ‘χουνε κλειστό
    Мύρισε το σκοτάδι κι όλη η άβυσσο

Θέ μου Πρωτομάστορα, μέσα στις πασχαλιές και Συ
    Θέ μου Πρωτομάστορα, μύρισες την Ανάσταση

Nikos Kavvadias - another exceptional poet.

Fata Morgana

Θα μεταλάβω με νερό θαλασσινό
    στάλα τη στάλα συναγμένο απ' το κορμί σου
    σε τάσι αρχαίο, μπακιρένιο αλγερινό,
    που κοινωνούσαν πειρατές πριν πολεμήσουν.

Πανί δερμάτινο, αλειμμένο με κερί,
    οσμή από κέδρο, από λιβάνι, από βερνίκι,
    όπως μυρίζει αμπάρι σε παλιό σκαρί
    χτισμένο τότε στον Ευφράτη στη Φοινίκη.

Σκουριά πυρόχρωμη στις μίνες του Σινά.
    Οι κάβες της Γερακινής και το Στρατόνι.
    Το επίχρισμά τ', αγιά σκουριά που μας γερνά,
    μας τρέφει, τρέφεται από μας και μας σκοτώνει.

The whole poem is much longer, but here I present it as it is sung by Mariza Kox (and Marios Fragkoulis, Alkinoos Ioannidis).

To be continued...

15. azimut said:

Lightbulb Glorious "Full Moon" !!!

... ...

Glorious "panseline" mou ...

May I "add" this "originality" ... to the "breathtaking" artstry you are "revealing" for us ... within the "moonshine" of the NIGHT ... !!! ...

... ...

To be is to do - Plato
    To do is to be - Socrates
    Do be do be do - Frank Sinatra

quarkie68 said:

Default To omorfi about pessimism

"Οι όμορφοι άνθρωποι έχουν ένα έργο σκληρό, δύσκολο στη φύση του. Να χαμογελάνε. Και εσωτερικά και εξωτερικά. Για όλους εμάς, τους λιγότερο όμορφους και να μας δίνουν κουράγιο, δύναμη για να αντιμετωπίζουμε τις ασχήμιες της ζωής. Οι ασχήμιες είναι όμως ανάλογες των αισθήσεων και ψευδαισθήσεων. Άλλοτε πραγματικές και άλλοτε παράγωγα ιδεολογιών, συνήθειας, ιδιοσυγκρασίας και συνείδησης. Γιατί το λέω αυτό. Απλούστατα, διότι για να αισθανθείς την ασχήμια και να καταβληθείς από αυτή, πρέπει να έχεις απολαύσει τις ομορφιές. Και το αντίστροφο. Η ισορροπία όμως έχει φάρο την ομορφιά. Οι όμορφοι κοιτάζουν τον ευατό τους και εμείς αυτούς. Και η ζωή κυλά, και τα τραγούδια έρχονται..."

Μάνος Χατζιδάκις (κατά τη διάρκεια συνένετυξης στην ελληνική υπηρεσία του ΒΒC στο Λονδίνο)

Translation

Note: From the context of the discussion, "beautiful" refers to internal and external beauty

"Beautiful people have a tough task, difficult in its nature. To smile. Internally and externally. For all of us, the less beautiful and give us courage and strength to tackle the ugly things in life. However, the ugly things in life are relative to the senses and hallucinations. Sometimes they are are real and other times they are the products of ideologies, habbits, idiosyncrasies and consciousness. Why I am saying all these things. Simply because, in order to feel the ugliness and wear yourslef down by it, you must have enjoyed the beauties. And the other way around. However, the balance (between ugliness and beauty) has beauty as its beacon. Beautiful people look to themselves and we look at them. And life goes on, and songs are created..."

Manos Xatzidakis (during an interview with the Greek BBC service in London)

Well, and my story of "hope for nothing" is long too... And if you sense pessimism, it's because you are right..

Anyway, not the right subject to talk about..

omorfi said:

"Οι όμορφοι άνθρωποι έχουν ένα έργο σκληρό, δύσκολο στη φύση του. Να χαμογελάνε. Και εσωτερικά και εξωτερικά. Για όλους εμάς, τους λιγότερο όμορφους και να μας δίνουν κουράγιο, δύναμη για να αντιμετωπίζουμε τις ασχήμιες της ζωής. Οι ασχήμιες είναι όμως ανάλογες των αισθήσεων και ψευδαισθήσεων. Άλλοτε πραγματικές και άλλοτε παράγωγα ιδεολογιών, συνήθειας, ιδιοσυγκρασίας και συνείδησης. Γιατί το λέω αυτό. Απλούστατα, διότι για να αισθανθείς την ασχήμια και να καταβληθείς από αυτή, πρέπει να έχεις απολαύσει τις ομορφιές. Και το αντίστροφο. Η ισορροπία όμως έχει φάρο την ομορφιά. Οι όμορφοι κοιτάζουν τον ευατό τους και εμείς αυτούς. Και η ζωή κυλά, και τα τραγούδια έρχονται..."

Μάνος Χατζιδάκις (κατά τη διάρκεια συνένετυξης στην ελληνική υπηρεσία του ΒΒC στο Λονδίνο)

Translation

Note: From the context of the discussion, "beautiful" refers to internal and external beauty

"Beautiful people have a tough task, difficult in its nature. To smile. Internally and externally. For all of us, the less beautiful and give us courage and strength to tackle the ugly things in life. However, the ugly things in life are relative to the senses and hallucinations. Sometimes they are are real and other times they are the products of ideologies, habbits, idiosyncrasies and consciousness. Why I am saying all these things. Simply because, in order to feel the ugliness and wear yourslef down by it, you must have enjoyed the beauties. And the other way around. However, the balance (between ugliness and beauty) has beauty as its beacon. Beautiful people look to themselves and we look at them. And life goes on, and songs are created..."

quarkie68 said:

Default Αυτό είναι!

Έτσι μπράβο. Καλό βράδι.

alison69 said:

Thumbs up

That's very beautiful!

Translation

---
    "Paizeis mazi moy san th broxh, kai egw perimenw th dikh mas stigmh"