52 of years Mingo San Francisco lyric/melody

Thread: 52 of years Mingo San Francisco lyric/melody

Tags: None
  1. hiumus said:

Default 52 of years Mingo San Francisco lyric/melody

I was just a kid listening to am radio in the Pacific NW around 1960...I heard this song a few times but never got the title or artist...It was kind of a folky, poppy ballad, mid-tempo, male singer...I've Googled this to death...I must solve this before I die...It's been 52 years of this lyric and melody...Please help the old guy...

Is this from Johnny Ashcroft's "Twilight Bar In Frisco (Frank Gardiner Song)"?

"Down on the barbary coast of San Francisco,
    there lived.....................a girl named Mingo...."

(circa early '60's)
    Last edited by Mixalopoulos; 08-17-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Mixalopoulos said:

Some people think that it is "Ming Lo" not "Mingo"

This would fit in with the song having an Oriental feel to it, as you have mentioned in other forums.

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/Befo...33688075.shtml
    Last edited by Mixalopoulos; 08-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    Ρεμπέτικο για πάντα. Μάγκες είμαστε.
  3. Claybricks said:

Quote Originally Posted by hiumus View Post
    I was just a kid listening to am radio in the Pacific NW around 1960...I heard this song a few times but never got the title or artist...It was kind of a folky, poppy ballad, mid-tempo, male singer...I've Googled this to death...I must solve this before I die...It's been 52 years of this lyric and melody...Please help the old guy...

Is this from Johnny Ashcroft's "Twilight Bar In Frisco (Frank Gardiner Song)"?

"Down on the barbary coast of San Francisco,
    there lived.....................a girl named Mingo...."

(circa early '60's)

??

Wade Ray - Ming-Lo {1963}

Note: This song was released as a 45 single. Song is also listed on other 45 records as Minglo

Wade Ray is on Youtube in other songs. Here's another song so you can hear his voice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8u002rvXYQ

I'll ask my music collector friend in Canada if he can confirm this song.

Dan
  4. hiumus said:

At last I have relief! Thank you so much... Went to Golden Oldies in Seattle this morning and managed to find it, took it home and dropped it onto the turntable. It was just as I remembered it. I must have come very close to finding it before because I thought that local legend Bonnie Guitar might have produced it... I guess she didn't but she did record her big hit "Dark Moon" on the Fabor label. Thanks again!