Early 60's pop, not much to go on.

Thread: Early 60's pop, not much to go on.

Tags: None
  1. batto said:

Default Early 60's pop, not much to go on.

Please help me I.D. title/artist of song whose falsetto chorus consists of, "So, I cry-ay-ay-ay-ed, woe-a-woe-woe, my blues away !". The voice is somewhat similar to The Velvets ("Tonight, could be the ni-i-i-i-, night!") as opposed to Frankie Valli. Thanks.............P.S., I still can't believe you guys got "Jose, he say". I had tried all of the 45 rpm record stores in the Midwest for an I.D., in the last two years, with no success.)

2. Ozzpot said:

Haha, I used to run a record store here in London - I've heard it all. It's what I actually remember that counts though, which isn't as much as I'd like.

This one is tricky. The only thing I can think of, and I don't think it's right, is

"I cried" by The Videls. It was released around 1960.

It's obviously (as it's the Videls) sung in harmony, and I wouldn't exactly describe it as falsetto, but it's the only thing with a similar lyric that I can recall.

atmaestro said:

Following up on Ozzpot's lead (excellent find!), the following are links to 30 second samples of potential candidates (I could not find any lyrics). Unfortunately, The Videls' song cuts out off right as they sing "So I cried..."

"So I Cried" by The Videls
    allmusic

"I Cried" by The Velvets
    allmusic

If neither of those songs is the one you are looking for, my next 50 wild guesses can be found on the following link. Obviously, there were lots of unhappy people in the "Doo ***" era...
    Doo *** Shoo Bop Various Artist CDs by Title
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

4. batto said:

The Videls song is not the one I'm looking for. (Neither is The Velvets tune.) I'll just keep looking. Again, "So, I cried" or "and so I cried" is just in the chorus. It might not be the title. Thank you very much anyway.