Song For A Memorial Video...

Thread: Song For A Memorial Video...

Tags: None

Thistle said:

Arrow Song For A Memorial Video...

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a song that I could put on a video I'm making for my family. My grandfather passed away this week and I will be flying to Scotland tomorrow evening for the funeral. I decided to put together a short video of all his happy times for over 20 years and wanted to try and give my family something to remember him by, and not how he was when he died. I woud like the song to be happy, cheerful, and not too sad or slow. Any ideas? I woud greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,
    Thistle

2. batto said:

How about "The Living Years" by Mike and The Mechanics ?

Thistle said:

It is a nice song, but I'm trying to keep the beat pretty fast and uplifting and not have sad (or "touching") lyrics. I don't want everyone to cry too much; I wan't people to see how great of a life he had and how happy he was. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Thistle

4. Ozzpot said:

With a handle like "Thistle" and a flag of St. Andrews avatar, you're clearly a patriotic Scot. Is the rest of your family (and was your grandfather) the same? More to the point, would something patriotically Scottish be in order?

5. ardalan said:

1-queen-the show must go on
    2-nirvana- the man who sold the world
    3-yesterday when i was young by royclark here is the linkhttp://www.4shared.com/file/9649764/b4d905b9/Roy_Clark_-_Yesterday_When_I_Was_Young.html
    4-poets of the fall-late goodbye(maxpayne 2 theme)
    5-slipknot-cricle lyrics starts by(give me the dust of my father....)
    excuse me if they are irrelative!

logan01 said:

This is a bit difficult, however, I think "River of Dreams" by Billy Joel is softly upbeat and inspirational.

Thistle said:

Ozzpot...yes I am a patriotic Scot...along with everyone else in my family. I have been looking for a Scottish song as well...but the bagpipes and things like that are a bit too... "close to home" for us. Thank you though.

Thank you Ardalan too for your suggestions. Number three was one of my grandfather's favourites! (He liked the one by Charles Aznavour).

Logan01, that is the type of "up-beat" song I was looking for. I'll try it with the video and see if it goes.

Thistle

8. Ozzpot said:

I am a bit of a rocker, so this may be my own preference, but if I were a proud Scot I'd want;

Yngwie Malmsteen's "Braveheart" or Iron Maiden's "The Clansman"

played at my funeral.

Braveheart is a fast and powerful song with a very Gaelic feel, and obvious overtones of freedom, immortality, defiance etc.. given the subject. It's a great song that gives me goosebumps, and I sadly don't have a drop of Scottish blood.

The Clansman is perhaps even better. It starts with a beautiful, gentle, melody, evocative of the highlands, and builds to a powerful and rousing, fast paced song of Scottish pride and defiance, with an amazingly uplifting, freewheeling solo.

I think it's what I'd want if it were me in the box, as I'm sure it'd make my relatives feel proud and happy. But then, as I say, I am a rocker. Give 'em a listen though!

Thistle said:

Ozzpot...I like those songs...but not for the video. They give me goosebumps too at certain parts and I'm glad you mentioned them! Great for rockers though

Cheers!
    Thistle

10. Ozzpot said:

Yeah, I guess for a younger man maybe! Glad you like 'em too!

All the best, Ozz

SOULstice said:

Question

What about the theme song to "Boondock Saints"?? Just throwing it out there...