ΡΕΜΠΕΤΙΚΑ;

Thread: ΡΕΜΠΕΤΙΚΑ;

Tags: None

panselinos said:

This time our beloved Azim was faster than me.

Hoş geldin, Phyllis. Καλώς ήρθες στην παρέα μας.

2. azimut said:

Quote Originally Posted by phyllis View Post
    And about the pleasure of sharing knowledge...Yes, I totally agree with you..The joy of sharing what you know with a being who would derive pleasure from learning it, or at least somehow benefit from it, is the greatest gift of teaching...

... ...

There are ... "NO TRUER WORDS"... !!! ... *υ* ... !!! ...

(... you "hear" that, adorable dya mou ... ?!? ... )

... ...

To be is to do - Plato
    To do is to be - Socrates
    Do be do be do - Frank Sinatra

3. azimut said:

Quote Originally Posted by panselinos View Post
    This time our beloved Azim was faster than me.

... ...

... RE PANSELINE MOU, RE !!! ... WHERE HAVE YOU "BEEN" ... "MISSING" ... ?!? ... ... ...

... I "HAD" TO "DO" ... ALL THIS "HARD WORK" ... BECAUSE YOU WERE "ABSENT" ... !!! ... !!! ... !!! ...

(... I really "missed" you ... !!! ... how are you "doing", panseline mou ... ?!? ... ... ...)

... ...

To be is to do - Plato

4. phyllis said:

Hoş bulduk Panselinos!! Ευχαριστώ πολύ!! Actually I was hoping to hear from you..People around here are talking about how ADEPT you are..Although Azim managed perfectly well while you were away, I would be thrilled to have YOU around, to help me with my Greek and also with the MISSONS!!!

panselinos said:

*major blush*

People here are just gorgeous, but sometimes overstate it (exactly because they're awesome). :P

I'd love to help in anyway I can, Phyllis.

I'm doing great, Azim mou, been busy with... some activities of life (shhh, Ypne).

It's good to "see" you, paidia.

Φιλάκια

6. azimut said:

... ...

... ...

To be is to do - Plato

tzina772000 said:

Quote Originally Posted by phyllis View Post
    That’s not only because I like the songs and the melodies but also because it was born out of one of the biggest tragedies in history, you know, the big population exchange in 1924.
    Not quite correct. Rembetiko was born long before that in the area of Asia Minor (practically wherever in the coast of Asian Turkey, as we know it now,were Greeks ). It became more known in Greece after 1922 (when the tragedy you talked about happened).
    If you want to learn more about its history (I still haven't found how the find lyrics part works), a good site in English is the following

Rebetiko Online. Where rebetika live online.

Oh and Vamvakaris, Tsitsanis,etc are rembetes, Lidia is not.Τhe kind she sung is called λαϊκό (la-iko) or ελαφρολαϊκό (elafrolaiko). I'm not sure but the difference must be in the type of organs used(electrical in the case of laiko).

Oh and azim your nick doesn't come from αζιμούθιο ?

8. phyllis said:

Hello Tzina..and thank you for the information. In fact I already knew that Rembetiko was originally the music of the people living in Asia Minor (Anatolia) until 1922. The original instruments that were used in rembetiko reveals this fact actually. Bouzouki, tzoura, baglama have been used in Anatolia for centuries and they are in fact relatives with the Turkish “saz”. What I was trying to say is that Rembetiko, which was brought to Greece by the 2 million refugees from Asia Minor, was highly influenced by the oriental elements of the music they were making in their previous homeland. And considering the traumatic experience and all the hardships that they went through, thay naturally clung to the music they had been making since they were born, to express their sorrow, joy, despair,etc. The tragedy of the forced immigration in those people’s souls led to the growth (not the birth!) of Rembetiko..which probably wouldn't grow so much if everyone had stayed where they were and lived happily ever after!! Coming to Yiota Lidia..The very site you suggested, which I frequently visit, presents that particular song of hers (Όταν πέσεις σ' άλλα χέρια) as a rembetiko. So it seems I have been misled by the site. Thank you for the information…Rembetiko, laiko, elafrolaiko…Sometimes it’s not possible or even sensible to make such clear-cut distinctions in music though..Some other sites that I visit are,

Rembetiko Forum
    rebetiko.org
    Welcome

poseidon said:

gia sou.... there is a rebetiko fan, too. I am really crazy about greek music and especially rebetiko.

I am from turkey too. my greek passion started with an anna vissi cassette which I found at home(nearly 10 years ago). I liked it so much and I decided to learn all greek music.

In summers I go to "yenisakran" a holiday village near İzmir(Smyrna). at there there are a lot of greek radio channels. So I can listen more and more greek music. especially rebetiko. I like it so much. my favourite composer is tsitsanis. I usually listen one or more song from him before sleep.

10. azimut said:

Quote Originally Posted by tzina772000 View Post

Oh and azim your nick doesn't come from αζιμούθιο ?

... ...

... yes !!! ... actually, (among other "things"), it "does" ... !!! ...

... ...

To be is to do - Plato

11. phyllis said:

Γεια σου Poseidon..Then let the following be your Sunday gift!! Fits perfectly for your taste and also for the gloomy and grey Sunday we're having here in Turkiye, at least that's the case where I am..I'm not very competent in Greek but I did my best. Perhaps some others who are more competent than me would make some corrections on it. Hope you enjoy it and also hope you can read Greek letters..If not, let me know..

Συννεφιασμένη Κυριακή (Sinefiasmeni Kiriaki)
    (Cloudy Sunday)

Συννεφιασμένη Κυριακή,
    μοιάζεις με την καρδιά μου
    που έχει πάντα συννεφιά, συννεφιά
    Χριστέ και Πα-, Χριστέ και Παναγιά μου

Είσαι μια μέρα σαν κι αυτή
    που ’χασα την χαρά μου
    Συννεφιασμένη Κυριακή, Κυριακή
    ματώνεις την, ματώνεις την καρδιά μου

Όταν σε βλέπω βροχερή,
    στιγμή δεν ησυχάζω
    Μαύρη μου κάνεις τη ζωή, τη ζωή
    και βαριανα-, και βαριαναστενάζω

TSITSANIS

Cloudy Sunday
    You are just like my heart
    which is cloudy all the time
    O dear Jesus and Mother Mary

You are such a (cloudy) day
    that I’ve lost my joy
    Cloudy Sunday, Sunday
    You make my heart bleed

When I see you raining
    I don’t feel at peace for a single moment
    You darken my life, my life
    And I sigh in grief…

12. azimut said:

... ...

ΑΑΑΑχχχχχ RE "phyllis" mou, RE ... !!! ... ... ...

... WHAT a "song" you "posted" out "there" ... ... ... !!! ... ... ...

... μ' έκανες να "μερακλώσω", ... τραγουδώντας το ... !!! ... *υ* ... !!! ...

(... although the "verb" does not "apply" in its "merry disposition" on me right now, ... the song's "outlook", ... "does" ... !!! ... ... ...

... it has been a "Cloudy Sunday" over "here", aswell ... !!! ... *υ* ... !!! ...)

... είναι αδύνατον να "βρεθεί" αυτό το "τραγούδι" μπροστά σου ... και να ΜΗΝ το "τραγουδήσεις" ... !!! ... *υ* ... !!! ...

... Ευχαριστώ ... !!! ... *υ* ... !!! ...

... ...

To be is to do - Plato

poseidon said:

Wink

Phyllis thnx so much for you sunday present. it is on of my favourite songs. Also I can read greek alphabet. i mean there is no problem. with the lyrics. Kali vradi. efharisto para poli

14. phyllis said:

Δεν πειράζει Poseidon..Any time..Αντίο...

15. phyllis said:

Azimcim,
    As far as I can figure out from your message, you seem to have liked to see this song here! And that's the only main idea I can get from your post..The rest...still vague!! Why are you doing this to me? Do I make an upper-intermediate impression on you? You know what really happens to me whenever you write such complicated sentences in Greek?? I go like "Oh my God, oh my God! What is he saying? What does he mean? Where's my dictionary?" I'm too old for this kind of excitement!! And I'm quite slow as you know. Let's just take it easy for me!!! So ,
    1. μερακλώσω ? ( something like "be curious" I guess, but doesn't help within the whole of the sentence!!)
    2. τραγουδώντας ? (something about singing but doesn't help either!)
    3. βρεθεί ? ( Are you sure this is the correct spelling???)

Ευχαριστώ....

16. phyllis said:

got you again!!

17. azimut said:

... ...

... are you "referring" to "these" in "here" ... ?!? ... ... ...

... ...

To be is to do - Plato

18. azimut said:

... ...

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

... "NICE CATCH", ... "phyllis" mou ... !!! ... !!! ... !!! ...

(... and, ... "nice to get caught again ... !!! ... )

... ...

To be is to do - Plato

19. phyllis said:

Ναι ναι! I'm referring the ones right above your head!!

20. phyllis said:

And I'v already mentioned in to dwmatio thread that it seems like one of the questions has already been answered!! I'll leave you the other two if you don't mind!!!