please this is not about translation but spanish phrases

Thread: please this is not about translation but spanish phrases

Tags: None

penny said:

Default please this is not about translation but spanish phrases

I have been told that te quiero means I love you but I know that quiero or querer
    means want. how can this happen and what about te amo which also means I love you??? I would appreciate your help!

RominaJuanita said:

Te quiero literally means i want you... but you can see 'i want you' (at least the way I see it, perhaps because i'm spanish) as 'I love you' ... I think to want someone is close to loving someone.. maybe I don't explain it right but maybe you understand the logic of it now...?

So the conclusion is: Te quiero means both I love you and I want you... Te amo is from the word amor which means love.. so that literally means i love you..

Do you understand.. ?

earisu said:

also, te quiero is a way of saying i love you to a friend or a person you care about hm....like it's a non romantical i love you

4. not4u2005 said:

I was always told by my spanish professor, that te quiero is generally used for the beginning of a relationship and or friends... where te amo is more of a respect kinda love that grows in time.

penny said:

Thank you all it was really helpful. something last te amo is only for people in love or you can say it like te quiero to friends, family?You see i'm greek and we have only one expession for I love you.
    Last edited by penny; 04-07-2007 at 04:32 AM.

penny said:

I have something for translation...what means the phrase VOS PODES??? Ιt is in a song

heksje said:

'Vos podes' is mainly used in South america I think, in Spanish from spain that would be: 'Tu puedes' and it means 'you can'

penny said:

oh thanx but there are so many differences from pronounciation to vocabulary... how do you know all of them?

9. not4u2005 said:

for me its because I meet people from different countries and you just pick up on their differences. If you take spanish in a class usually the teacher throws random pronounciation facts at you and you just catch on over time

heksje said:

I learned in South America, just by hearing people speak (no clases), so I'm far more familiar with their way of speaking. But I don't think anyone knows all of the vocabulary from every country, especially if you start checking out slang. You just have to practice I'm afraid. I find music a very good way to learn new stuff !!! Look words up or feel free to ask for their explanation, it is the only way. If I can help ...

penny said:

How these letters are pronoynced in other types of spanish, not castellano:s,c,z,y,ll,g....

heksje said:

s like and s in english (but they tend to swallow the 's' from a word, they almost leave it out)

z same as s

c as in spanish but without the 'th' sound they make in spain

y as in spain but in some countries (eg argentina) they pronounce it 'sh'

ll in some parts they say it as in spain, but in for example argentina they pronounce it like 'sh'

g as in spain i suppose

this probably doesnt make any sense but hey i tried you should try to compare spanish songs with latin american songs
    chau

penny said:

thanx it was good. I'm trying to do that with the songs but then I'm more confused...

penny said:

Question

Quote Originally Posted by not4u2005 View Post
    I was always told by my spanish professor, that te quiero is generally used for the beginning of a relationship and or friends... where te amo is more of a respect kinda love that grows in time.
    something last te amo is only for people in love or you can say it like te quiero to friends, family...?You see i'm greek and we have only one expession for I love you!

penny said:

Vamois que se necesita negros
    o conocido jamás satisfecho
    Can someone trnslate for me these, please.....

heksje said:

Vamos que se necesita negros : Let's go they are in need of black people (that's the best I can make of it without the context)

lo conocido jamás satisfecho: the things you already know, won't do; as to say: the grass is always greener on the other side: to always want more.

penny said:

Aboyt te amo, is it only for people in love or you can say it like te quiero to friends, family...?

RominaJuanita said:

Te amo is like when you love someone really really bad... normally u use te quiero with friends and family.. and te amo is more intimate.. but you CAN say both.. but I would say te amo when I'm in love with someone.. and the rest only te quiero..

penny said:

now it's clear for me,cristal.thanx

penny said:

What is Requete?