please this is not about translation but spanish phrases

Thread: please this is not about translation but spanish phrases

Tags: None

Pau_GyG said:

Hi there! Iīm from Argentina so maybe I can help you with this. "Te quiero" means "I love you" but without a romantic implication, do you know what I mean? You can say "Te quiero" to a friend when you donīt mean to say that you love them in a romantic sense. This verb, "querer", hast at least two meanings: 1) to care about somebody, to "love" somebody; and 2) to want something (or somebody...).
    Hope I helped!

2. emptysky said:

I have a question about pronunciation, just something I am curious about and I don't know anywhere else to ask.

I notice sometimes in songs that the same word is pronounced different ways, even from one line to the next, particularly yo and ella. Sometimes yo sounds like yo in English, but sometimes jo, and sometimes cho. Sometimes ella sounds like a-ya, but sometimes a-zha. Is there a pattern to this? Thank you.

maria_gr said:

Well in Spain and Mexico the -ll is pronounced yo as in the word yogurt. In the other countries of Latin America and especially in Argentina it's pronounced -z and -tz, but I'm not the appropriate person to tell about Argentina, cause I'm learning the pronunciation of Spain.
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

maria_mx said:

But u are right María spanish and castellano are different even in our own cities sometimes u cant understand the meaning of a word example when I was in the university (ppl come from all mexico to this university) I met a classmate that he said "I am a chaca" OMG OMG I said what is that hahahahahahahah " I am the best " I dont understand where they took that word and like this 1000000000
    [bold]Music....... A way to show our feelings[/b]

Pau_GyG said:

Default About pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by emptysky View Post
    I have a question about pronunciation, just something I am curious about and I don't know anywhere else to ask.

I notice sometimes in songs that the same word is pronounced different ways, even from one line to the next, particularly yo and ella. Sometimes yo sounds like yo in English, but sometimes jo, and sometimes cho. Sometimes ella sounds like a-ya, but sometimes a-zha. Is there a pattern to this? Thank you.
    Maybe I can give you some kind of explanation. The pronunciation of this sounds depends on the region/country where the singer/speaker comes from. For example, in Argentina most people pronounce "yo" with the /sh/ sound as in "shoe". And the same goes for the cluster "LL". In some other countries this sound is produced with the semi vowel /j/ (eg: the first sound in "year") in the case of "yo", or /l/ followed by the semi vowel /j/ in the case of the cluster "LL".
    However, you can find different pronunciations of this sound within the same country. For example, as I said before, most people in Argentina use the /sh/ sound, but in the upper clases "Yo" and "eLLa" are pronounced with a similar sound to the first sounds in "genre". This pronunciation is frowned upon by common people, and it is used to make fun of rich people.
    About the songs you heard where the pronunciation changed from one line to the other, I think itīs a matter of rhythm. Probably the pronunciation which is repeated most of the times is the one that the singer actually has.
    So, basically, if you are learning Spanish pronunciation I think itīs a matter of choice... To what kind of native speaker are you aiming to sound like?
    Hope I could help in some way!

6. emptysky said:

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pau_GyG View Post
    Maybe I can give you some kind of explanation. The pronunciation of this sounds depends on the region/country where the singer/speaker comes from. For example, in Argentina most people pronounce "yo" with the /sh/ sound as in "shoe". And the same goes for the cluster "LL". In some other countries this sound is produced with the semi vowel /j/ (eg: the first sound in "year") in the case of "yo", or /l/ followed by the semi vowel /j/ in the case of the cluster "LL".
    However, you can find different pronunciations of this sound within the same country. For example, as I said before, most people in Argentina use the /sh/ sound, but in the upper clases "Yo" and "eLLa" are pronounced with a similar sound to the first sounds in "genre". This pronunciation is frowned upon by common people, and it is used to make fun of rich people.
    About the songs you heard where the pronunciation changed from one line to the other, I think itīs a matter of rhythm. Probably the pronunciation which is repeated most of the times is the one that the singer actually has.
    So, basically, if you are learning Spanish pronunciation I think itīs a matter of choice... To what kind of native speaker are you aiming to sound like?
    Hope I could help in some way!
    That is very helpful, thank you! I noticed from watching movies that certain words vary from country to country, but the singing confused me. I can't think of any words in English that I could pronounce 2 ways in the same sentence and still mean the same form of the word. I could use a different accent from another part of the US, but that would sound strange. I guess rules of singing are more flexible than the rules of speaking in a conversation. Artistic freedom!

Pau_GyG said:

Glad I could help! I wasn´t sure that my explanations were clear, but I guess you could understand it. If you have any other doubts about pronunciation, just ask! Or any other kind of doubts, for that matter
    See u!

maria_mx said:

They are very clear and u are a very nice helpful girl glad to meet u
    [bold]Music....... A way to show our feelings[/b]

Pau_GyG said:

Thanx! We´re all here to learn, I´m glad I can help a little! Nice to meet u too!