Acoustic/Instrumental Track with Whistling - Please Help!

Thread: Acoustic/Instrumental Track with Whistling - Please Help!

Tags: None
  1. dollstarsugar said:

Default Acoustic/Instrumental Track with Whistling - Please Help!

I was out in a restaurant last night and heard a track that i recognise and really love but cannot find a trace of anywhere! Chances are it may've been on a commericial or something, i'm 99% sure it's a fairly modern track.
    It's completely instrumental, kind of acoustic-y track and throughout it there's a guy whistling this tune over the top of it. It sounds like it should be a band like air or album leaf but i've had a quick search through their tracks and can't find it. Any help would be very much appreciated!

2. Fence Sitter said:

"Alpha Beta Gaga" by Air.

Don't know if you've found it, it was 3 years ago but ...

You've got a good ear to pick the band.

Just happened to find this because I'm still looking for an "apparently" rare remix of "All I need" by Air which was favoured by Triplej Australia.

3. dollstarsugar said:

Hey, thanks for your suggestion - unfortunately that's not it - and sadly, after three years i am still on an eternal hunt to find out what it was!

It wasn't quite as upbeat as that, a bit more meloncholy...

So hard to find a song when it has no lyrics!

4. Fence Sitter said:

Well it was time to give the thread a bump again ;-)

It might be commercial - got me thinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Bird

Seems a lot of his songs are in commercials and he whistles. I note that in the wikipedia entry - "Five of his songs — "Banking on a Myth" from The Mysterious Production of Eggs, a medley of "I" from Weather Systems and "Imitosis" from Armchair Apocrypha, and "Skin" and "Weather Systems" from Weather Systems — have been licensed for use by Marriott Residence Inn"

I was also keeping in mind "strangely familiar" and happened to chance upon Bernard Herrmann - Twisted Nerve, film score~Theme and Variations - Kill Bill. as part of various results.

5. dollstarsugar said:

Well thanks for the bump!

Unfortunately it now means I've spent half my working day googling 'acoustic tracks with whistling' and still having no luck!

Thanks for the suggestions though - if nothing else I am widening my musical horizons!

And the search continues...

6. Fence Sitter said:

I meant to ask, how much of it is acoustic and how much would be blended in with electronic instruments and how pronounced is percussion, if any.

7. dollstarsugar said:

Hey - from memory (as obviously it's been a good few years since I heard it!) it's just acoustic guitar and maybe some light percussion?

I would say I thought it wasn't that popular a song (as the restaurant I heard it in was pretty obscure!) However, I heard it a year or so ago whilst shopping in a mall so it can't be that unheard of.

I even resorted to this earlier: http://www.bored.com/songtapper/ but still no luck!

It's a pretty mellow tune which made me think it would be someone like Air (in an 'All I Need' vein rather than the more upbeat stuff...) but I'm obviously barking up the wrong tree!

8. Fence Sitter said:

Sorry one more question, how distinctly is the whistling, actual "whistling" or could it have been otherwise by an instrument?

At a distance from the sound source or at low volumes it would be hard to tell the difference in some instances. Eg. Mothers of Intention-Travelling Song (Which sort of reminds me of what I hear playing in the background of malls. )

9. dollstarsugar said:

It's definately a person whistling - couldn't tell you whether it was male or female but it's really prominent, it's basically what makes the song and the acoustic music is just in the background.

If I had to try and type it out substituting the whistling for 'do's' (bear with me!) it would look something like this:

"do, do....do...do...do, do" - and tone wise kind of - high, low...low...lower...high, low - the same tune pretty much repeats through the whole thing - there are variations but that's the gist!

DJ Maxx said:

Have you checked out any of these whistling sites ? I assume you have, so I don't want to waste your time offering suggestions that are easily found with a search.

http://www.whistlersnet.com/profiles...13:BlogPost:41

And I also want to say.....thanks for coming back after 3 years.
    A lot of people totally disappear after 3 minutes......

11. dollstarsugar said:

Well to be honest I'd kinda forgotten I'd even posted about it on this website! I'm more amazed that someone found my post after three years...

Thanks for the whistling site but no luck there either - I found this site:

http://www.melodycatcher.com/

Which at least allows me to get the tune out of my head and down in writing! (To some extent)

Basically the whistling follows these notes: (if you tap it out on the virtual keyboard it starts from the farthest key to the right...)

G3, E3... D3... C3... G3, E3

Beginning to think I made this tune up in my head though I gotta say...!
    Last edited by dollstarsugar; 05-24-2010 at 06:59 PM.

atmaestro said:

The tune played on the melody catcher site reminds me of an acoustic version I once heard of the old Frank Sinatra song, "The Girl from Ipanema" (may be by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass?).
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

13. Monica A. Orduno said:

The name of the song is Wanted (Se Busca) by Doogy Degli Armonium. It took me until today to find it as well, I'm probably late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2OCHGVHoCE
    Last edited by Mixalopoulos; 10-14-2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: added link

14. Miguel Lozano said:

Amazing. I was looking for the exact same song and was desperate. I looked through every list of whistling songs. Couln't find it. "Se busca" is the right name. Thank you very much!