Συννεφιασμένη Κυριακή - Tsitsanhs

Thread: Συννεφιασμένη Κυριακή - Tsitsanhs

Tags: None
  1. mitso_80 said:

Default Συννεφιασμένη Κυριακή - Tsitsanhs

Yeia sas ola, could someone please translate this song into english, euxaristw poly

Συννεφιασμένη Κυριακή, μοιάζεις με την καρδιά μου
    που έχει πάντα συννεφιά, συννεφιά
    Χριστέ και Πα-, Χριστέ και Παναγιά μου

Είσαι μια μέρα σαν κι αυτή που ’χασα την χαρά μου
    Συννεφιασμένη Κυριακή, Κυριακή
    ματώνεις την, ματώνεις την καρδιά μου

Όταν σε βλέπω βροχερή, στιγμή δεν ησυχάζω
    Μαύρη μου κάνεις τη ζωή, τη ζωή
    και βαριανα-, και βαριαναστενάζω

panselinos said:

Cloudy Sunday

Cloudy Sunday,
    you're like my heart
    that's always cloudy.
    Christ and Holy Virgin!

You are a day like that day
    in which I lost my joy.
    Cloudy Sunday,
    you make my heart bleed.

When I see you that rainy,
    I can't rest even for a moment.
    You make my life black
    and I deeply sigh.

Deep Greek said:

Great song! National anthem, somehow, for most of greeks!
    Γυναίκα που λαμπάδιασε σαν άχυρο

tzina772000 said:

Tsitsanis wrote it during the II World War, talks about a dead person(executed from the Germans). For us I think represents all the things Greeks in the big cities passed during that era (at least that's how the song was remembered till some years ago)

5. reaper 7 said:

Probably one of the greatest songs ever written, certainly an incredibly example of simple yet deeply meaningful words and a killer opening on the bouzouki.

Amethystos said:

Yes it's considered to be one of the most known songs to all Hellines

But i must say that Markos Vamvakaris' "frangosiriani" it would probably be one of the three songs i would suggest to a foreign friend to approach greek music.
    For those who haven't heard it here is a link with a version by Marko's son.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fGFtIAtA2H0
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

7. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by Amethystos View Post
    But i must say that Markos Vamvakaris' "frangosiriani" it would probably be one of the three songs i would suggest to a foreign friend to approach greek music.
    Which is the third song you'd suggest? Frangosiriani and Sinefiasmeni Kuriaki I already know(absolutely wonderful both of them), so...which would be the third?

Amethystos said:

As i already mentioned there are 3 songs i would suggest to someone for approaching greek music.

Since i've not studied music or music's history it's only my point of view about making thinks easier to someone that knows nothing about greek music.

So my first choice would be fragkosiriani as mentioned already.It's a Chasapiko.

My second choice would be Theodorakis zorbas . It's a Sirtaki
    The most honest version I've found in you tube, was not a greek one and i was surprised about this (in the synonymous movie the sound gets too low cause of the dialogues)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ia34kknFpk0

The last one would be "To zeibekiko tis eydokias" by Manos Loizos.
    Loizos was a composer that never studied music. He was a self-taught musician who managed to write this song (it has no lyrics btw) which i believe to be a must-hear zeibekiko.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=z1cfln_sV44

Enjoy the listening

9. dya said:

Ευχαριστώ

I guess everybody knows Zorbas. I have Theodorakis' version( it's the best version, after all The one you posted from youtube is indeed an honest one, but Theodorakis' is the original and thus, the best)

I didn't know "To zeibekiko tis eydokias" so, thank you for this one.

Not that I am an authority in the matter(especially when it comes to icon songs in another country) but if I am to "corrupt" someone into Greek music, I would also include "Ta paidia tou Peiraia"(Melina Mercouri's interpretation) in an "unofficial Top Ten"

Amethystos said:

You can also listen to those few songs:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LLaCQrBRTh4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3MCcidTCeBQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PJlZbTm2W-4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zfhEJJAq7t4

They are all taken from greek movies (including the last one which i haven't found the clip from the movie in youtube)

Believe me that, about at least the 3 of them, 99% of Hellines know the lyrics.

The other one was a big international hit at the 60's when Brenda Lee sung it as "all alone am i". (I prefer the version with Karezi )
    here is the link for Brenda lee's Version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phJuVomEmAY

Always have more recommendations and willing to answer to any questions!

11. dya said:

I already knew "Brexei fotia stin strata mou". Great song. I wish I could see the movie...

The rest of the songs you posted I didn't know and I thank you for them

tzina772000 said:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LLaCQrBRTh4 the beginning must be from Peiraias(until it shows the Hotel sign). See some kind of difference???No cars parked in the side-walks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phJuVomEmAY to tragoudi fisika kai to kserw, alla an perimeneis na thimamai kai ton titlo sothikes. Please elliniko titlo

Amethystos said:

1) Η ταινία "Λολα" γυρίστηκε στην Τρουμπα! Οπότε σαφώς και έχεις δίκιο!!!

2) Τι θες να πεις? Το τραγούδι της Καρέζη είναι το ίδιο με αυτό της Brenda Lee...
    Αν δεις το 3ο link αναφέρει πως είναι το "Μην το ρωτάς τον ουρανό" από την ταινιά "Το νησί των γενναίων" (πολύ πριν την διασκευή της Brenda Lee!!!!)
    Η μουσική είναι του Χατζιδάκι εννοείται.....

14. dya said:

1) Η ταινία "Λολα"
    That's what I wanted to know

Amethystos said:

No my dya. Those answers were for tzina.
    The "Brexei fotia stin stata mou" is in the movie "Ορατότης μηδέν".

Dya you can look at the link of the song and there you can see that if you click on "more" under the "About this video" column you will find some interesting details IN ENGLISH as well as the translation of the song.

16. dya said:

No my dya. Those answers were for tzina.
    I know. But I also wanted to know the title of the movie from which Χαθηκε το φεγγαρι-Βικυ Μοσχολιου was taken.

The "Brexei fotia stin stata mou" is in the movie "Ορατότης μηδέν".
    That I know. I also found the movie, but unfortunately it doesn't have english subtitles, and I'm obviously not capable of watching an entire movie in Greek. Yet

Dya you can look at the link of the song and there you can see that if you click on "more" under the "About this video" column you will find some interesting details IN ENGLISH as well as the translation of the song.
    I already read that, thank you. And about the translation of the song given there, I'm not completely convinced that "it's raining fire on my way" is the best way to say it. Cause actually strata means street and I'm not sure it also has the conotation of "way". I guess "dromo" would be closer to "way", in the meaning intended in that translation.

Again I'm comparing languages here, because in Romanian we have strada and drum and if I want to say "It's raining fire on my way" I chose drum not strada. If I intend a more "poetical" and subtle choice of words, I could use strada but not with the meaning of "the street where I live", but with the meaning of "my environement/around me/the place where I am/my neighbourhood".

Amethystos said:

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post
    I know. But I also wanted to know the title of the movie from which Χαθηκε το φεγγαρι-Βικυ Μοσχολιου was taken.
    Then that's ok

That I know. I also found the movie, but unfortunately it doesn't have english subtitles, and I'm obviously not capable of watching an entire movie in Greek. Yet
    You should try to watch greek movies WITHOUT subtitles and try to catch the meaning. If you see a movie at about 3 times you will learn 10 times more fast than if you try to translate a greek text word by word using dictionaries....
    It has some more fun also btw....
    And remember that we're here to answer to ANY question you have.

I already read that, thank you. And about the translation of the song given there, I'm not completely convinced that "it's raining fire on my way" is the best way to say it. Cause actually strata means street and I'm not sure it also has the conotation of "way". I guess "dromo" would be closer to "way", in the meaning intended in that translation.
    Sorry to disagree with you but the word "Strata" is used in the song to give the meaning of "a lifetimes destiny"... So the word way is the most accurate in this case. He could had also said "path" but certainly not "street" or "road".

Come again with another question or disagreement as it really has fun making
    these conversations.

18. dya said:

You should try to watch greek movies WITHOUT subtitles and try to catch the meaning. If you see a movie at about 3 times you will learn 10 times more fast than if you try to translate a greek text word by word using dictionaries....
    It has some more fun also btw....
    Yes, I agree that's a better method of learning a foreign language, but it's not quite functional yet for me. Most of the exposure I have to Greek language is with written texts. And it's obviously easier to get the meanig this way. I can analyse it till I get it. While spoken Greek...well that's different The only exposure is to songs, which most of them have quite the same vocabulary. I tried to watch news and,as Soso said in another thread, all I completely understand is Kalimera/Kalispera! LOL!!!
    But I'll try to watch an entire movie without english subtitles. Just for the fun of it!

And remember that we're here to answer to ANY question you have.
    Ευχαριστώ!

Sorry to disagree with you but the word "Strata" is used in the song to give the meaning of "a lifetimes destiny"... So the word way is the most accurate in this case. He could had also said "path" but certainly not "street" or "road".
    Ok, I learnt something new: the word strata DOES have the meaning of way/path/life destiny. Thank you

Come again with another question or disagreement as it really has fun making these conversations.
    I'm sure it is!! LOL! And I will ask again, whenever there's something I'm not sure about.

tzina772000 said:

1) Η ταινία "Λολα" γυρίστηκε στην Τρουμπα! Οπότε σαφώς και έχεις δίκιο!!!

2) Τι θες να πεις? Το τραγούδι της Καρέζη είναι το ίδιο με αυτό της Brenda Lee...
    Αν δεις το 3ο link αναφέρει πως είναι το "Μην το ρωτάς τον ουρανό" από την ταινιά "Το νησί των γενναίων" (πολύ πριν την διασκευή της Brenda Lee!!!!)
    Η μουσική είναι του Χατζιδάκι εννοείται.....
    Δεν σου είπα ότι το τραγούδησε η Brenda Lee πρώτα. Σε τίποτα δεν κοιτάω ημερομηνίες, γιατί ποτέ δεν πρόκειται να τις θυμηθώ. Το post μου μήπως είχε σχέση με κάποιο άλλο που σβήστηκε???Γιάτι έτσι όπως το'δα ψιλοάσχετο μου φάνηκε (καλά και χόντροάσχετο μπορείς να το πεις, αλλά λέμε τώρα).

panselinos said:

Probably because of the name, "Συννεφιασμένη Κυριακή" has always brought me associations with "Szomorú vasárnap" ("Gloomy Sunday" a.k.a "The Hungarian suicide song") written by the Hungarian composer Rezső Seress in 1933. Since then this song has been covered by like thousands of artists.
    It has nothing to do with "Συννεφιασμένη Κυριακή" of course, just reminds me of it.