Romanian zone ;)

Thread: Romanian zone ;)

Tags: None

gossip-girl said:

Naaaah, it can't be!
    Really? ^^
  2. dya said:

Trust me! If you can understand this "language" and "convert" in into correct Romanian, it means that you are already familiarised with Romanian words and you "recognize" them even if they are written like this. Which, YES, means that you know Romanian!

Of course you need a life time to learn all the words from a language. So if you're gonna tell me that you need a dictionary to actually understand words, I'm answering you that the use of a dictionary is absolutely normal and it doesn't prove that you don't know the language.

Knowing what to look up for in a dictionary MEANS that you know the language. Especially a language like Romanian, which has different endings for all cases, for all tenses, for all persons, genders, numbers, ETC.

The fact that you know the "root" of a word, no matter in what "form" you find it in a song, means that you know exactly what you need to know.

From now on, all you need to do is to learn more and more words, but as I said, that is a "never ending" job.

CONGRATULATIONS

Talk to you later, now I have to go.

gossip-girl said:

You're right, for the first time when I tried to translate something I always had problems with "roots" of words (esp. verbs =_=)... I was like "How to the hell I can guess what's the infinitve of this verb?!" But it seems that step by step I have learned how to do it

Yesterday I bought myself a romanian-polish dictionary - it may sound strange but before that time I was using an on-line one and it was romanian-english

I really don't know how I came to catch romanian so fast! My english teacher says I'm a person with a talent to learn languages, but, for example, I have learned german since I was 10 and I think that I would never learn this language at all! :/

Maybe I was born to know romanian, haha?
  4. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by gossip-girl View Post
    I was like "How to the hell I can guess what's the infinitve of this verb?!"
    That is one legitimate question for someone trying to learn Romanian!

But it seems that step by step I have learned how to do it
    And I am soooooo proud of you!!!

I really don't know how I came to catch romanian so fast! My english teacher says I'm a person with a talent to learn languages, but, for example, I have learned german since I was 10 and I think that I would never learn this language at all! :/
    You are most certainly a talented person in learning foreign lanuages, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to understand Romanian so quickly. And when I say understand, I don't mean the words. I mean the structure of the language and the way the language functions. That's the most difficult and that's what you already know very well!

Maybe I was born to know romanian, haha?
    I think many people from this forum live with the impression that they were born to speak another language than their own. LOL! I'm no exception, that's why I am to be found in the Greek lyrics section of the forum!

gossip-girl said:

You're learning greek? Wow! Is it difficult?

Romanian has simmilar structure to my native language - polish Maybe that's why it's easier for me to understand all the rules. You may not know it, but you have a lot of words in romanian that mean the same things in polish (or just look simmilar) I can even give you some examples if you want!
  6. dya said:

First: don't get me started with Greek!! LOL! But so to answer your question: it is and it isn't difficult depending from what point of view you are talking. It's difficult as any other foreign language that you start from zero, it's not difficult because the grammar part is somehow similar to romanian.

Now, about Romanian and Polish. Romanian is a latin language in structure, but the slavic influence was very important at the vocabulary level. Till the XVIIIth century the slavic was used in the religious service, not Romanian. Consequently a lot of words were assimilated in the language.

It is estimated that 10% of the modern vocabulary is of slavic descent.

So, yes from the vocabulary point of view, you'll bump into many surprises

gossip-girl said:

The biggest surprise I bumped into was when I was trying to find out how to swear (oh, I'm such a a bad girl! )
    And I know now that I shouldn't swear in Romania in my native language

I found out that the more languages to become to know the more simmilar they seem - romanian is very simmilar to latin, french, even spanish or italian, so learning it I'm becoming to understand these languages also - it's perfect!
    I'm becoming such a language-lover
  8. dya said:

The biggest surprise I bumped into was when I was trying to find out how to swear (oh, I'm such a a bad girl! )
    And I know now that I shouldn't swear in Romania in my native language
    Well, one of the first things to learn in a foreign language is swearing! LOL! Luckily, you don't have to bother too much with this!

As for this:
    I found out that the more languages to become to know the more simmilar they seem - romanian is very simmilar to latin, french, even spanish or italian, so learning it I'm becoming to understand these languages also - it's perfect!
    Here's a quote from Wikipedia, which explains what you noticed already:

Romanian is a Romance language, belonging to the Italic branch of the Indo-European language family, having much in common with languages such as French, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.

zAgatka said:

Hello girls, I'm back. Finally I have holidays and I can do what I like best - learning languages

I'm becoming such a language-lover
    I strongly agree with you !
    I know English, Italian, French, Latin (-diffrent level) and now when I'm lookig at Romanian words I know the meaning (some of them)...
    Sometimes my friend writes to me in Romanian and suprisingly I understand him...It suprise me because I've (occasionally) learnt romanian for 3 months....

/Translantion of a new song is on the way /

You may not know it, but you have a lot of words in romanian that mean the same things in polish (or just look simmilar) I can even give you some examples if you want!
    I want, I want ...
    ...as far I know sens = sens
    bluza, granica -> my friend understand this words, but I don't know how to wrire it in romanian, dya any ideas ?

gossip-girl said:

Hey, what about "bilet"? Tramvai, plaja, mama, tata, cenzura, autobus, atmosfera, etc., etc... Do you want me to go on, haha?

zAgatka said:

Do you want me to go on, haha?
    Yes, till you get bored

So my homework....

.:: TNT - Numai a ta ::. Only yours

I:
    E ora 8 si astept sa sun //It's 8 and I'm waiting for your call
    Nu mai rezist deloc...//I can't stand it anymore
    Si ma gandesc// and I think
    Esti atat de dulce...//You are so sweet
    Ma faci sa zambesc...//You make me smile

Prerefren:
    U-u, nu pot sa trai daca nu suni//u-u I can't live you don't call
    La fel mi-ai spus ca simti si tu...// you told me that you feel too
    U-u, mi-e dor sa imi alinti sufletul//u-u I miss my calm soul ???
    La fel mi-ai spus ca simti si tu...//

Refren:
    Da, da, sunt doar a ta...// yes, yes I'm only yours
    Nu, nu, numai a ta //No, no only yours
    Nu pot nici respira// I can't even breath
    Esti aerul din viatza mea...//You are the air of(for/in/to ??) my life
    Da, da, visez mereu//Yes, yes I always dream (about)
    Nu, nu, numele tau...//No, no your name
    Cand noaptea vine as vrea//When the night comes I want to
    Sa fim noi doi in camera mea...//be with you in my room

III:
    Nici nu mai stiu // I don't know anything
    Cum sa-ti spun sa te apropii//??
    Nu-i tarziu...//??
    Si ma gandesc//and I think
    Esti atat de aproape//you are
    Simt ca ma topesc...//I feel you join me (or) I feel we fuse

It seemed to be easier to translate....

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post

And pay attention to this kind of spelling: ascultzi the group of letters tz does not exist in Romanian, it stands for the letter ţ, which is read like tz. This spelling is usually used by Romanians on messenger to reproduce graphically a sound.
    You may also find sh for ş. But hopefully, you won't encounter this kind of writing in lyrics too often.

Esti aerul din viatza mea... another example....

And 1 question - words doar and numai - sometimes meaning is the same - only - it's any difference in using it ?

zAgatka said:

And I have one more task for you girls...Translation from English into Romanian...for me it's impossible...

I feel you - Schiller (te simt ?)

I feel you
    in every stone
    in every leaf of every tree
    if ever grown
    I feel you
    in everything
    in every river that might flow
    in every seed you might have sown
    I feel you 2X
    in every stone
    in every leaf of every tree
    that you ever might have grow
    I feel you
    in everything
    and every river that might flow
    in every seed you might have sown

I feel you
    in every vain
    in every beating of my heart
    each breath i take
    I feel you
    anyway
    in every tear the time I shed
    in every word I`ve never said
    I feel you 5X
    in every vain
    in every beating of my hart
    in in every breath I ever take
    i feel you
    any way
    in ever tear that I shed
    in every word I`ve never said
  13. dya said:

Hi girls! Starting from Monday, I'll take care of your requests.

I was on holiday and didn't have acces to internet and this weekend I'm not too much at home, but on Monday I'll be here.
  14. jenmac11 said:

HI, i just came acrossed this song on myspace. I love the beat but have absolutley no clue to what it says. I goggled and found you all talking about it. Do you have a complete lyric of this song?

Ochi Verzi?

tjamls

sandhy said:

hello!I saw this thread and I thought to myself "what an interesting thing to learn romanian through this column! I'm romanian and I love english .I hope I wouldn't be bothering anyone (especially dya,as I can see she's "the boss" here :P) if I gave a hepling hand.so I translated Schiller-I feel you in romanian
    I feel you - Schiller

I feel you /te simt
    in every stone /in fiecare piatra
    in every leaf of every tree /in fiecare frunza a fiecarui copac
    if ever grown / daca vreodata a crescut
    I feel you / te simt
    in everything /in tot
    in every river that might flow /in fiecare rau care ar putea curge
    in every seed you might have sown /in fiecare samanta pe care ai fi putut sa o semeni
    I feel you 2X /te simt
    in every stone /in fiecare piatra
    in every leaf of every tree /in fiecare frunza a fiecarui copac
    that you ever might have grow /pe care l-ai fi putut sa-l cresti
    I feel you /te simt
    in everything /in tot
    and every river that might flow /in fiecare rau care ar putea curge
    in every seed you might have sown /in fieacre samanta pe care ai fi putut sa o semeni

I feel you /te simt
    in every vain /in orice inutilitale (sau mandrie)
    in every beating of my heart /in fiecare bataie a inimii mele
    each breath i take /in fiecare inspirare
    I feel you /te simt
    anyway /oricum
    in every tear the time I shed /in fiecare lacrima cand am varsat-o
    in every word I`ve never said /in fiecare cuvant pe care nu l am spus niciodata
    I feel you 5X /te simt
    in every vain /in orice inutilitale (sau mandrie)
    in every beating of my heart /in fiecare bataie a inimii mele
    in every breath I ever take /in fiecare inspirare pe care o fac vreodata
    i feel you /te simt
    any way /oricum
    in ever tear that I shed /in fiecare lacrima pe care am varsat-o
    in every word I`ve never said/in fiecare cuvant pe care nu l-am spus niciodata

sandhy said:

and here are the lyrics for ochi verzi(green eyes)
    HI Q-ochi verzi /green eyes
    Refren:/Chorus
    Eu sunt tot ce ai visat/I'm everything you've dreamt of
    Am ochii verzi, sunt bun la pat/I have green eyes,I'm good in bed
    Nici tu nu crezi ce spui/even you don't believe what you say
    Cand spui ca m-ai uitat./when you say you have forgotten me
    Tu esti tot ce am visat/you're everything I've dreamt of
    Ai ochii verzi, esti bun la pat/you have green eyes,you're good in bed
    Nici eu nu cred ce spun/even I don't believe what I say
    Cand spun ca te-am uitat./when I say I have forgotten you.

Postrefren:
    Tu esti a mea, ahah/you're mine
    Eu sunt a ta, ahah/I'm yours
    Te vreau neincetat/I want you ceaselessly
    Nu pot sa cred ca ai uitat./I can't believe you forgot

I:
    In clipele cand eram doar noi doi/ in the moments when we were just the two of us
    Si cerul plangea pentru noi/and the sky cried for us
    Imi spuneai ca nu vei pleca/you told me you weren't going to leave
    Dar te vad mereu cu altcineva./but I always see you with someone else
    II:
    Spune-mi ce s-a-ntamplat/tell me what has happened
    Spune-mi de ce-ai uitat/tell why did you forget
    De ce n-asculti ce spun/why don't you listen to what I say
    Nici tu nu crezi ce spui acum./even you don't believe what you say right now.
    III:
    E noapte si plang dupa tine/it's night and I'm crying for you
    E noapte si ma intreb de ce-ai uitat ca:/it's night and I wonder why did you forget that

Refren:..
    Postrefren:..

IV:
    In zilele cand priveam doar spre nori/in the days when we looked only towards the clouds
    Si noaptea ne prindea in zori/and the night caught us in the dawn
    M-ai spus ca nu vei uita/you told me you wouldn't forget
    Dar m-ai lasat in urma ta./but you left me behind you.
    V:
    Spune-mi ca nu-i adevarat/tell me it's not true
    De ce-ai uitat cum ai uitat/why did you forget,how did you forget
    De ce n-asculti ce spun/why don't you listen to what I say
    Nici tu nu crezi ce spui acum./even you don't believe what you say right now.
    III:..
    Refren:..
    Postrefren:..
    III:..
    Refren(x2):..
  17. dya said:

Hello Sandhy!

You don't bother me at all! On the contrary, I am the one who should thank you for your help. I was very busy this week and although I had promised the girls I would be here to help them, I wasn't able to do so.

So, thank you for translating the songs

And girls: forgive me for not being here lately, but as I said, I had pretty busy days myself.

Now, to answer this question:
    And 1 question - words doar and numai - sometimes meaning is the same - only - it's any difference in using it ?

I'm not going to start a real grammar/linguistics lesson, because sometimes these two words are used incorectly even by Romanians.

What you need to know is that:
    - in english they can be both translated as "only"

BUT

- the literal translations would be
    doar--->just
    numai---->only

In contexts like:
    1. doar:
    Vine doar pentru o zi--- She/He is coming just for one day.

Numai ea stie--- Only she knows.

Best to remember and understand is that:

doar implies the idea of something happening just in one way, or just for a certain amount of time, etc. The focus is more on the " just this/then/that much/etc----> more it's not possible although it may be desirable"

while

numai is restrictive---> only in one way, only then something is happening, only that thing is happening. The focus is on the idea of restriction: "only this/then/etc. ----> we don't even take in the consideration the idea of more."
    Last edited by dya; 07-05-2007 at 12:52 AM.
  18. dya said:

Another answer:

...as far I know sens = sens
    bluza, granica -> my friend understand this words, but I don't know how to wrire it in romanian, dya any ideas ?

True: sens=sens

bluză-- blouse
    graniță--- border

sandhy said:

somehow this thread makes me proud of speaking romanian .Dya you're doing such a great job with explaining the girls these grammatical issues which only few native romanian speakers would know how to explain. You girls carry on !
  20. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by sandhy View Post
    somehow this thread makes me proud of speaking romanian
    I know exactly what you mean I feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sandhy View Post
    .Dya you're doing such a great job with explaining the girls these grammatical issues which only few native romanian speakers would know how to explain. You girls carry on !

Thank you very much. I'm doing my best and I'm glad I can help people learning our language