Tokio Hotel

Thread: Tokio Hotel

Tags: None

tsopana said:

Default Tokio Hotel

Bill Kaulitz......... Tom Kaulitz............ There are just no words to describe them...
    Personally, I believe Bill is better than Tom, because he is more sensitive... judging from what I've read and from some interviews I've watched. What do you think??
    Last edited by tsopana; 05-29-2007 at 11:55 AM.
    Όμορφη μικρή τσοπάνα......

2. vixfix34 said:

I can't speak personally, but my best friend is ABSULOTLY in love with them. I think she likes Bill better (she talks about him all the time) but I'm pretty sure she loves Tom too. Maybe I should start listening to some of their songs, since everyone seems to go effin crazy over the band members. I don't speak German, so do you know of any english songs that could get me started with this band? Thanks

Tahira said:

Giassou Tsopana, hi vixfix34,

you can have a look under the sections "german translation" there you can find some lyrics (from Tokio Hotel) translated into english.

Regards, Tahira

Augusta said:

I have to say, I'm a big Tokio Hotel fan I loved them since the first time i've heard and seen them, that was 2 years ago. I love their style, their music, their personalities... They are great in live concerts, they got A LOT of music awards, now they are even nomineed for Best Band, and InterAct at the EMA's, and i have the feeling they will win at least one of those ...

They have fans all over the world...they had their first european tour this year, and the US are waiting for them next year, too... Like every TH fan, i want them to sing in my country, too, and i hope that next year they'll come here

They just released their english album (a mix-up between their songs from their first and second album, but translated into english). The album is called Monsoon. For the ones who are curious about it, and haven't seen it yet, you can watch the Monsoon video here.
    ...we all shine on...like the moon...and the stars...and the sun...

maria_gr said:

Tsopana mou I love Tokio Hotel too. And you have right Bill is better than Tom!
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

Luvya said:

It's funny that they're so successfull all over the world. In Germany they don't have fans under the age of 13, they're like the ultimate kiddy band *g*

tsopana said:

Yeah, you're right. All my german friends say they hate them. At first I thought, "ok, maybe it's just because they're boys and they can feel a bit competitive", but I now know that girls don't like them either. I just can't see why. I think their music and their lyrics are quite interesting, and especially after considering that they're so young. And, ok, according to the most Bill looks too much like a woman. Even so, who cares? It's the music that matters (to me)..

Luvya said:

hate is maybe a little strong but they're just sooooo kiddy. they're pushed by the biggest german youth magazine called "bravo" - they're on the cover of nearly every issue. they're just a fake little kiddy band thinking they're great with their 16 years. plus the singer is a super-emo which is not apreciated neither. i for myself just can't take them seriously.

tsopana said:

Quote Originally Posted by Luvya View Post
    hate is maybe a little strong but they're just sooooo kiddy. they're pushed by the biggest german youth magazine called "bravo" - they're on the cover of nearly every issue. they're just a fake little kiddy band thinking they're great with their 16 years. plus the singer is a super-emo which is not apreciated neither. i for myself just can't take them seriously.
    When you say "kiddy band" what exactly do you mean? Cause honestly, when I compare their work with those of the teenage bands in my country, it's much more decent and quite more genuine. And, yes, I do hear that thing about Bill being emo all the time, but I'm not so convinced. Well, surely I can see that he has created a whole image, which is not was he's like in real life, it's something he does in order to make the band easily recognisable and profitable. But emo is not just about putting on make-up and looking feminine. Besides, that's what also many important bands and artists have tried (like Green day, Fall Out Boy, Alice Cooper, even Led Zeppelin) and no one sayed anything negative about it!

Luvya said:

with "kiddy band" i mean that nobody over 13 listens to them. i don't want to fight about tokio hotel here. i apreciate that you like them, do whatever you want i for myself couldn't care less about them. but i don't care about "important bands" neither. i'm just telling you why i think they're not that popular in germany (at least not for people over 13). they're lyrics sound fake to us. you see, there is a band of 16 year old guys with make up and they're using sufisticated metaphores and stuff. to me (and many others) this just doesn't seem real. it seems like someone told them how to behave. see, reading the translation is maybe different from understanding the words directly. if i hear a tokio hotel song i get the impression that a little boy baking sand cakes wants to be taken serious by restaurant critics just because he put sugar on top.
    another thing which surely is important too is that it has become cool not to like tokio hotel. i mean like (almost) nobody like g.w.bush. not the half of those knows anything about his politics, it's just because it's cool not to like him. same thing with tokio hotel: many people don't know their music but chose not to like them because nobody likes them. there is a huuuge emo trend going on in germany. skulls, cherries and dots in black, red, wite and violet on jewelery, clothes and accessoires. half of the youth follows, half doesn't. those who follow might like tokio hotel
    but after all it's just a question of taste. and taste, as a german saying says, isn't debatebal.

tsopana said:

Quote Originally Posted by Luvya View Post
    with "kiddy band" i mean that nobody over 13 listens to them. i don't want to fight about tokio hotel here. i apreciate that you like them, do whatever you want i for myself couldn't care less about them. but i don't care about "important bands" neither. i'm just telling you why i think they're not that popular in germany (at least not for people over 13). they're lyrics sound fake to us. you see, there is a band of 16 year old guys with make up and they're using sufisticated metaphores and stuff. to me (and many others) this just doesn't seem real. it seems like someone told them how to behave. see, reading the translation is maybe different from understanding the words directly. if i hear a tokio hotel song i get the impression that a little boy baking sand cakes wants to be taken serious by restaurant critics just because he put sugar on top.
    another thing which surely is important too is that it has become cool not to like tokio hotel. i mean like (almost) nobody like g.w.bush. not the half of those knows anything about his politics, it's just because it's cool not to like him. same thing with tokio hotel: many people don't know their music but chose not to like them because nobody likes them. there is a huuuge emo trend going on in germany. skulls, cherries and dots in black, red, wite and violet on jewelery, clothes and accessoires. half of the youth follows, half doesn't. those who follow might like tokio hotel
    but after all it's just a question of taste. and taste, as a german saying says, isn't debatebal.
    I think that's the whole point actually. To me, for a along time now, tokio hotel was a great way to refresh my german, apart from liking the music, too. But the truth is if I lived in Germany, I might have had a different opinion, if things are the way you describe them (since I hate "emoism"). Although, you can't imagine what I have to put up with every time I tell sb I listen to them. Especially some of my friends that breathe for metal music, never have enough of giving me a hard time. And that's because the emo stupid kids here consider Tokio Hotel as a 100% emo band! It's like an accessory, as you said, like hair covering the face and cutting themselves.
    Anyway... thank you so much for enlightening me and dedicating time to talk about a band you don't even like! Tschüss!!

Luvya said:

as our discussion here made me thoughtful, i asked a 14 or 15 year old student of mine (who has a punk/emo - style) what music she listens to and what she thinks about tokio hotel. she explained to me that tokio hotel is seen as totally fake in the scene and that only those who just follow the emo trend listen to it. it's not original but invented by bravo and tv. in other countries this might just be the other way round as you told me of greece. but hey, why do you bother? if you like the music and it helps you to improve your german, so what? let them talk. i listen to hiphop and have only rock/metal friends, i know what a hard time in music discussions is and it's true, i met some french kids who were crazy about tokio hotel and there german was so much better than any i had heard in france before. just to encourage you keeping listening to them. and: maybe you can find even more german bands you like

tsopana said:

em.. actually i could use a little help with that well, except for tokio hotel, the only german bands i know are Rammstein and scorpions (but scorpions sing in english so..). oh, and a singer named "lafee" who I guess is sth like tokio.. Could you help me out a bit by proposing some good rock bands..?

Tahira said:

Hi tsopana,
    LaFee is half greek, did you know?
    Maybe you like to listen to BONFIRE, they also exist at least for 20 years and as far as I know they are very successfull in the USA. I like this song very much, I have already posted it in another thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir-BF571APM

Udo Lindenberg is also very wellknown and exist for many many years, also Peter Maffey , BAP, Marius MÜller-Westernhagen, die Toten Hosen, die Ärzte; (the last 2 ones are more punk/alternative rock music)
    younger bands are: juli, silbermond

If you go on looking in youtube with those names, you will find some songs to listen to. Enjoy it.

Tahira

tsopana said:

Thanx!!!

Luvya said:

BAP might be a little difficult as they sing in the dialect of cologne
    Maybe Herbert Grönemeyer should be mentioned too. Then there are Die Prinzen, Wise Guys, Wir sind Helden (which I like a lot ). A lot of my rock-friends listen to Clueso too, although he goes more towards HipHop.

Tahira said:

I love BAP a lot, although I live right in the heart of south germany. LOL
    Yes, I forgot Herbert Groenemeyer (how could I). From the other bands you hav mentioned I know only die Prinzen, but I would call their music more pop than rock.
    So I think we gave tsopana a good range through german rock music !

Have a nice evening, Tahira

tsopana said:

Thank you so much, both of you!!! Germany rules

Luvya said:

Wie du kennst die Helden nich? o_O Du hörst aber schon ab und zu Radio, wa?
    The Wise Guys are a Cologne A Capella Band with really sweet songs. Not that rocking though. But easy to understand and straight from the heart.

Tahira said:

Hi Luvya, habe gerade auf youtube geguckt... ich kenne sie (wir sind Helden) tatsächlich nicht! Außer dem Lied "eiskgekühlter Bommerlunder" aber das kenne ich ursprünlich von den Toten Hosen. Ich muß auch gestehen, daß ich selten Radio höre; bin ein CD-Hörer und höre da fast ausschließlich arabische und griechische Musik - so bin ich auch auf dieses Forum gestoßen.
    Aber das macht dieses Forum so interessant, daß man immer wieder auf neue Gruppen und Musik stößt.
    LG Tahira