Bulgarian to English and a few extras

Thread: Bulgarian to English and a few extras

Tags: None
  1. Lewisn1 said:

Default Bulgarian to English and a few extras

Hi, i love Bulgarian music it is really cool, i have mainly folk music and maybe hip hop or rnb no idea.

Singers like: Ivana Kindl, Ivana, Desislava and Preslava. I don't know any other artists and i'm looking for more Rnb, rapping, and anything like that maybe more folk music.

Is it possible to get these titles translated to English please.

PreSlava

Lei Lei (not sure if this is the name of the song but it is what i have on it when i downloaded it.)

Nemas Pravo

Diavolsko Jelanie

These are only songs i have of preslava.

Ivana Kindl

Da li zelis.
    Malo ljubavi daj.
    Ti si mi u krvi.
    Zvoni Telefon.
    Ne Daj me.
    Ti mi dajes snagu.
    Nocas pokazi sve.
    Tvoja ljubav meni pripada.

Ivana Brkic

Njezno Njeznije.

Also who are these YouTube - Bulgarian Gangsta Rap someone said that they are the hardest men in Bulgaria i don't believe him tho.

I would also like to know more about the Bulgarian Culture and general life off some bulgarians.

1) Is it true you shake your head for "da" and nod for "ne"?.
    2) Is it true all Bulgarians hate turkish people?.
    3) What age do you go to primary school, high school and college?.
    4) What are the exams called that helps you get a job e.g Gcse's (General Certificate of Secondary Education)
    5) Is it true you get 3 months off school for summer holidays?.
    6) Is it true Bulgarian children are beaten in school as punishment? ( a guy in my school says he is bulgarian and he has scares on his back he says the're from whippings from his bulgarian school which i do not believe).
    7) do yous have a naming system?
    8) Do you find it hard to get a job within Bulgaria?.
    9) Is your life style poor in the sense that you can't earn enough money? i say this because i heard Bulgaria is the second poorest nation.
    10) What is the average teperature in Bulgaria and what is the highest temp you get.
    11) How often does it snow?
    12) How do you cope within the heat or the cold?
    13) Name some Bulgarian Chocolate or candy or sweets please put (ч) or (ц) next to them if their chocolate (ч) or candy (ц).
    14)What are Bulgarian traditional foods?.
    15) Is it true women have to cook in Bulgaria as a tradition?.
    16) Do yous have any special celebrations?
    17) How is christmas celebrated in bulgaria what is the traditions?.
    18) Are there any states/districts within bulgaria or is just citys like england.
    19) I hear bulgarian roads are crazy (no lines lumps and half turn up roads)
    20) Whats a tradional Bulgarian wedding like, how is it done what are the traditions?
    21) What age do you need to be for smoking,drinking and sex?.

i cannot think of anything else right now but i will keep adding if i remember anything i will add them.

Please if your Bulgarian and would like to add my msn please it's lewis_n1@hotmail.com

Lewis
    Last edited by Lewisn1; 07-01-2007 at 05:41 PM.

maxsimn said:

wow as tou have so many questions I`ll try to answer to all of them..

First.. Ivana Kindl and Ivana Brkic, arent bulgarian singers...with this "-ic" in the end I suppose that they`re serbian

maxsimn said:

From bulgarian rapp and RnB I prefer:
    Upsurt, Spens, Santra..

Theres a diferrence between popfolk music and traditional bulgarian folk music
    The popfolk music is very popular nowadays and has oriental motifs..Preskava,Azis,Gloria are popfolk singers

If you`re interested in popfolk you can try the site of a popfolk music television - www dot planeta dot tv

if you wanna hear normal bulgarian music not this oriental things you can go to www dot mmtv dot bg . The site has an english version and you can watch the TV online

About the translations os Preslava`s songs try the thread "Bulgarian popfolk music" there are translations of many songs..even rap texts like Upsurt

maxsimn said:

1) Is it true you shake your head for "da" and nod for "ne"?.
    when we wanna say "no" we shake the head from left to right , when we wanna say "yes" we shake it from up to down and we smile
    2) Is it true all Bulgarians hate turkish people?.
    We dont hate them..ehh somtimes you know we were turkish slavers for 5 centuries, we have problems sometimes.Turkish people are very very very insolent.For example in my town some new streets were made, when in the mayors house they should give them a name, the turkish people taking part in the municipalitys decision didnt accepted names of Bulgarian warriors for the streets.They said that the turkish citizens wouldnt like them,thats why they put the name Nurai Ibrahim(turkish name) on one of the streets.Do you think that we should blindly like them? Uhh I shouldnt open my mouth on this subject because its really complicated
    3) What age do you go to primary school, high school and college?.
    Kids go to school when they are 7.some parents let their children go to school at 6(like my parents did with me) or at 8.After seven years in the primary school,when the kid is about 14 he goes to a highschool,you should do some exams if you`d like to go to a good highschool.After five years when you`re about 18 you are suppost to have exams again,so that you can go to the university
    4) What are the exams called that helps you get a job e.g Gcse's (General Certificate of Secondary Education)
    I dont know..
    5) Is it true you get 3 months off school for summer holidays?.
    Yes, I just finished school on friday(we learn till the end of June), we start again on the 15th of September
    6) Is it true Bulgarian children are beaten in school as punishment? ( a guy in my school says he is bulgarian and he has scares on his back he says the're from whippings from his bulgarian school which i do not believe).
    No! Nowadays the teacher cant even touch you.I`ve heard from my parents that in the soviet times teachers really had the right to punish the children
    7) do yous have a naming system?
    I dont understand.What you mean?
    8) Do you find it hard to get a job within Bulgaria?.
    Sometimes people find it hard
    9) Is your life style poor in the sense that you can't earn enough money? i say this because i heard Bulgaria is the second poorest nation.
    I`ll just tell you that some people earn 300leva per month which is equal to 150 euro...Thats why we dont like the government.As ya know we were accepted in the EU with romania, but there the poorest wage per month is 200-300 euro
    10) What is the average teperature in Bulgaria and what is the highest temp you get.
    In the summer its about 25-35 degrees,sometimes its very hot 40-45.in the winter it sometimes get untill minus 20
    11) How often does it snow?
    In the north more often, here in my town twice each winter.when I was little a remember that it snowed a lot,I had a sledge,but last year the snow was only about 2-3sentimeter
    12) How do you cope within the heat or the cold?
    Aircondiotioners,in the big cities theres a central heating system, some people has a fire place.and of course in the summer everybody likes cold drinks or ice-ceran
    13) Name some Bulgarian Chocolate or candy or sweets please put (ч) or (ц) next to them if their chocolate (ч) or candy (ц).
    Svoge - the most popular BG chocolate
    Pobeda, Prestige, Sweet + are some of the most popular factories that produse biscuits,waffels and other things from sugar
    14)What are Bulgarian traditional foods?.
    Tarator, Banitsa, Shopska salata, Musaka.. you can see them in wikipedia or google.I can prepare you them too I like cooking
    15) Is it true women have to cook in Bulgaria as a tradition?.
    Again nowadays no.In the past it used to be like this.But as you know the world is in globalisation, no1, nowhere doesnt do things of this type any more, for example women work, they arent just housewives
    16) Do yous have any special celebrations?
    Well iif we start from the beggining of the year:
    14th of February- Saint Valentines day. Before 10-15 years people havent even heard for this one but in the last 5-6 ages it has become very popular,everybody is byuing hearts,toys,presents.you know that before 1989 the comunnist had forbidden all these west celebratings
    3rd of March - the national celebrating day(like 4th of July for the americans).On this date(1878) the San Stefano contract was sighed, it was saying thet Bulgaria is now a free country,bulgarians arent in the borders of the Ottoman empire any more.
    8th of March - we celebrate the day of the women(the mother) kids do/prepare greeting cards at school(with the help of their teachers) or they can also do some other presents.women receive flower from their children from their husband from the boss.Last year the mayor gave a free day to all the women who work in the town hall
    24th of May - the day of the Bulgarian alphabet and of the culture.Also day of Kiril and Metodii and their students,they created our alphabet.
    2nd of June - day of Hristo Botev, and all the people who died for the freedomk of Bulgaria in the wars with the Ottoman empire
    3rd of June - my birthday
    15th of September - the school starts again
    1st of November - day of the teacher,writers,artists, all the people who in 16,17,18 centuries woke up the bulgarians,and gave them the desire and the power to get free.We call this period the Bulgarian revival(renaissance)
    24th,25th,26th - the Christmas days
    31th - New year
    Of course we celebrate Easter too, but each year - different day
    17) How is christmas celebrated in bulgaria what is the traditions?.
    Welll on the night of 24th we eat this banitza,beans and many other fruits and salads the meat is forbidden.Some people(mostly grandparents) dont eat meat 1 month before Christmas.The young people we do it only 24th night.We put Christmas trees.Under them we put the presents for the kids.usually the kids should wait till the morning 25th to see their presents..but often they open them on 24th at midnight.
    18) Are there any states/districts within bulgaria or is just citys like england.
    I dont know what you mean under states, but we have towns and probabli sofia, Plovdiv or Varna can be called city
    19) I hear bulgarian roads are crazy (no lines lumps and half turn up roads)
    There are lines but the cinditipn isnt good.There are many holes..
    20) Whats a tradional Bulgarian wedding like, how is it done what are the traditions?
    Hmm...Ive seen only couple of weddings.Well the wife is in white dress,sometimes pink or some other colour.The husband is in black.Like in america I think in the films they`re wearing the same things.First is the ritual hall, they do the wedding contract there.Then they go to the church.and after this comes the restaurant the fun..There are many traditions.For example in the rituial hall theres a monet where they should be very fast.they should step each other.If the women steps first on the foot of her husbands it means that she will take the decisons in the family...for me thats a bullshit an old thing.After all the ceremony the hudband takes the wife in his hands they go out,where kids are threwing candies,coins..and they go to the church.In the restaurant there are also traditions.Theres a ritual sweet bread.The husband and the wife both catch it, and pull it to themself.If the husband breaks a bigger part it means again that he`ll be the leading one in the family.I think that this are old things.
    21) What age do you need to be for smoking,drinking and sex?.
    You need to be 18.Many childre have already tasted alcohol and cigarettes at 15 even some 14.I think that its like that almost everywhere in the world

Well in the end about all these customs and traditions I think that if 20 years ago there were any differences in celebrating the, now everywhere we do the same things on Christmas on weddings..

maxsimn said:

Ohh I missed this with the rap singers..no these arent the strongest men in Bulgaria.Though as you can see in the clip they arent weak

maxsimn said:

I hope that I answered your questions now I have to goo

See ya soon!

7. Lewisn1 said:

Thank you very much Maxsimn, that was very helpful and appreciated.

Could i add you to my Msn contacts please?.

Also could i have these lyrics translated:

Upsurt 3v1: Upsurt 3in1

Ne ne ne, Tova e Upsurt.
    Ne moga da uchastvam v takiva raboti.

- Sega den, vseki chas na vsqkade ima matrial!

Piem, peem, pushim 3 v 1 iskam az i ti v leglo,
    neka da sym ti sedlo are pokaji mi bedro.

Ti kakyv beshe kogato nqmashe nishto ?
    - Normalen Sofiiski drishlio.
    A oshte pushish li kosche ?
    Popitai me nqkoi drugo vyprosche.
    A, che nqmash 1 stotinka verno li ?
    - Pritejavam desetki levove !
    Kqrime kolko Brithney ako ne vervash ela me ritni.
    Macki s caisi 500 marki macki s janti 19-ki.
    Skriise idva gost, 30 euro in da nos.
    Bih piinal edin sex on da beach odih malko na dole do Petrich.
    Promociq UNSS 3 izpita za 200 marki i edno prase.
    Presa i partiq jylta taq plue a onaq gylta, 3 v 1 gubeci vseki den rapadjiq kradec i djentelmen.

Pripev:
    Hey, gledash men eei nali kak go pravq nejvo stava.
    Nedei djentylmen eei ti si mek i nejen, leko smeshen agent.

Piem, peem, pushim 3 v 1 iskam az i ti v leglo!
    Snoshti v kyshti pirshestvo, az piq kafe a ti tsveklo.
    Ti si pisi - maco golema, az sym Venci 10 leva.
    Pisti misli imam kolega, samo nekak si az da q vzema.
    Shte ti kupq dva sladoleda, neka pusnem Guantalamera.
    Sys pylna usta mi vikash "mersi", vdigam ryka i vikam taxi.
    Macki vinagi ima jandni s maiini imame malki taini.
    Ujni dushici neposlushni, morski a i sofianki.
    Dve otvoreni dyrti chanti, otvarqm skyrcat panti.
    Neochakvana kombinaciq, ne 3 a 2 v felacio.

Pripev:

Nedei pritisnen eei ti si mek i nejen, leko smeshen agent!

Ne ne molqte prosti mi, izpil sym 5 mastiki.
    3 v 1 intriganti, muzikanti i indiqnci.
    Nqmat krai tvoite gluposti, zatova broq do 3 i spri.
    Vibratori, Bankomati !
    Da ne bi me vide da ti voza jena ti ...
    s mazerati ili golf edenichaka.
    Iska i verbati da q kalati.
    Nov stil, higiena nuleva se edno che sym bil s Albena Byleva.
    Iskate zimni letni, fonokarti - toaletni.
    Nie sme danachni - reviziq!
    30 hilqdi za evroviziq!
    Kato kafence diga mi go, ili imitira tiramisu.

- Sega vseki den, vseki chas na vsqkade ima matrial!

Pripev:

Gledash men eei nali kak go pravq ne ostavqsh za men.
    Djentylmen eei ti si mek i nejen, leko smeshen agent!

Eiii ... Leko smeshen agent!
    Auuu ...

veronika_pooh said:

Quote Originally Posted by Lewisn1 View Post
    Thank you very much Maxsimn, that was very helpful and appreciated.

Could i add you to my Msn contacts please?.

Also could i have these lyrics translated:

Upsurt 3v1: Upsurt 3in1

Ne ne ne, Tova e Upsurt.
    NO,NO,NO,THAT'S UPSURT
    Ne moga da uchastvam v takiva raboti.
    i CAN'T BE A PART OF SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

- Sega den, vseki chas na vsqkade ima matrial!
    EVERY DAY,EVERYWHERE,THERE IS MATERIAL!

Piem, peem, pushim 3 v 1 iskam az i ti v leglo,
    WE'R DRINKING,SINGING,SMOKIKING,3 IN 1,I WANT ME AND U IN BED
    neka da sym ti sedlo are pokaji mi bedro.
    LET ME BE UR SEAT,CUMON SHOW ME UR LEG.

Ti kakyv beshe kogato nqmashe nishto ?
    WHAT WERE U LIKE,WHEN U DIDN'T HAD A THINK?
    - Normalen Sofiiski drishlio.
    A NORMAL **** FROM SOFIA.
    A oshte pushish li kosche ?
    AND R U STILL SMOKING WEET?
    Popitai me nqkoi drugo vyprosche.
    ASK ME SOME OTHER QUESTION.
    A, che nqmash 1 stotinka verno li ?
    AND IS IT TRUE U DON'T HAVE A CENT(STOTINKA IS BULGARIAN CENT)
    - Pritejavam desetki levove !
    I OWN A LOT OF MONEY!
    Kqrime kolko Brithney ako ne vervash ela me ritni.
    I EAR AS MUCH AS BRITNEY,IF U DON'T BELIEVE ME COME AND KICK ME!
    Macki s caisi 500 marki macki s janti 19-ki.
    CHIKS WITH SUNGLASSES 500 MARKS,CHIKS WITH WEEL RIMS 19!(I THINK HE MEANS SOMETHING LIKE NICE GIRL )
    Skriise idva gost, 30 euro in da nos.
    HIDE,A GUEST IS COMING,30 EURO IN THE NOSE.
    Bih piinal edin sex on da beach odih malko na dole do Petrich.
    I WOULD DRINK ONE SEX ON THE BEACH,I WENT DOWN TO PETRICH(BULGARIAN SITY FAMOUS WITH THE DRUG DEALERS)
    Promociq UNSS 3 izpita za 200 marki i edno prase.
    PROMOTION IN UNSS(UNIVERSITY IN SOFIA) 3 EXAMS FOR 200 MARKS AND ONE PIG
    Presa i partiq jylta taq plue a onaq gylta, 3 v 1 gubeci vseki den rapadjiq kradec i djentelmen.
    PRESS AND YELLOW PARTY,THIS ONE SPITS AND THE OTHER SWALLOWS(TALKING BOUT A GIRL),3 IN 1 BELLY DANCES EVERY DAY,RAPER THEAF AND JENTLEMAN

Pripev:
    HEY,U R WATCHING ME,EI RN'T U,THE WAY i'M DOING IT IT IS GENTLE
    DON'T GENTLEMAN,EII U R SOFT AND GENTLE,LITTLE FUNNY AGENT

Snoshti v kyshti pirshestvo, az piq kafe a ti tsveklo.
    LAST NIGHT AT HOME PARTY,i'M DRINKING CAFFE AND U beetroot
    Ti si pisi - maco golema, az sym Venci 10 leva.
    U R A CITTY-BIG CAT,I'M VENCI WITH 10 LEVA(OUR MONEY HERE )
    Pisti misli imam kolega, samo nekak si az da q vzema.
    PISTI MISTI(CAN'T UNDERSTAND THAT)I HAVE A COLEGUE,ONLY IF THERE IS A WAY ME TO HAKE HER
    Shte ti kupq dva sladoleda, neka pusnem Guantalamera.
    I'LL BUY U 2 ICECREAMS,LET'S PLAY GUANTANAMERA(SPANISH SONG)
    Sys pylna usta mi vikash "mersi", vdigam ryka i vikam taxi.
    WITH FULL MOUTH IS TELLING ME @THANKS@,I'M RISEING A HAND AND CALLING A CAP.
    Macki vinagi ima jandni s maiini imame malki taini.
    THERE R ALWAYS THIRSTY CHICKS,WITH MAINI(A WAY PPL CALL THEMSELF IN ONE SITY HERE) WE HAVE SECRETS
    Ujni dushici neposlushni, morski a i sofianki.
    SOUTH SOULS NAUGHTY,FROM THE SEA AND FROM SOFIA(THE CAPITAL)
    Dve otvoreni dyrti chanti, otvarqm skyrcat panti.
    2 OPEN OLD WEEL RIMS(MEAND WOMEN),I'M OPENING squeakING hinge
    Neochakvana kombinaciq, ne 3 a 2 v felacio.
    UNEXPECTED COMBINATION,NOT 3 BUT 2 IN FELACIO

Pripev:

Nedei pritisnen eei ti si mek i nejen, leko smeshen agent!

Ne ne molqte prosti mi, izpil sym 5 mastiki.
    NO NO PLEASE FORGIVE ME,I'VE GRANK 5 anisettes
    3 v 1 intriganti, muzikanti i indiqnci.
    3 in 1 intrigants,musicians and indians
    Nqmat krai tvoite gluposti, zatova broq do 3 i spri.
    there is no end of ur bulshits,that's y i'm counting to 3,stop
    Vibratori, Bankomati !
    vibrators,bankomats(IF THIS WORD EVER EXISTS)

Da ne bi me vide da ti voza jena ti ...
    DID U SAW ME DRIVING UR WIFE...
    s mazerati ili golf edenichaka.
    WITH MEZERATTI OR GORLF 1
    Iska i verbati da q kalati.
    SHE WANTS VERBATI?(i THOUGHT THEY SING BERBATI-A BULGARIAN FOOTBALL PLAYER,BUT i MAY BE WRONG)
    Nov stil, higiena nuleva se edno che sym bil s Albena Byleva.
    NEW STYLE,NO HYGIENE,LIKE I'VE BEEN WITH ALBENA VULEVA( A TV LEADER OF A YELLOW TV SHOW,TAKLINK TOO BRUTAL AND EVERYONE HERE HATES HER)
    Iskate zimni letni, fonokarti - toaletni.
    U WANT WINTER,SUMMER,PHONE CARDS-WCs
    Nie sme danachni - reviziq!
    WE R TAXATION AGENTS-REVISION!
    30 hilqdi za evroviziq!
    30 000 FOR EUROVISION!
    Kato kafence diga mi go, ili imitira tiramisu.
    LIKE COFFE IT TURNS ME ON,OR IT IS IMITATING TIRAMISU

- Sega vseki den, vseki chas na vsqkade ima matrial!
    NOW EVERY DAY,EVERYWHERE,THERE IS MATERIAL!

Pripev:

Gledash men eei nali kak go pravq ne ostavqsh za men.
    Djentylmen eei ti si mek i nejen, leko smeshen agent!

Eiii ... Leko smeshen agent!
    Auuu ...
    Soo lil help from me tooI'm really happy to meet anothe BG fan and will be glad to help u with what U needthe song is full of bulgarian slag I've tryed to make it more clear to u if u don't understand something askUpsurt r singing most of the time bout the bulgarian reality,which is not sooo pratty as u can see,so their song r not meanless but not very welcomed by the leaders of our country
    well that's from me,going to bed!Hope I helped!
    !!!Ζήσε κάθε σου στιγμή η ζωή φεύγει με χίλια!!!

maria_gr said:

Did you get Preslava's translations? Cause I have the translation of "Diavolsko Jelanie". And you must hear "Tazi nosht bezumna" (it's my favourite!), "mili moi", "obicham te", "luja e".
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

10. *Kally* said:

pls give me the translations of this song..on english =D

Кой ще изяде маслинката зелена?
    ..свалячи си пробват на мене номерата...

Сядам и пия питие на бара,
    да пробвам мъжете вадя си цигара.
    Запалки веднага блясват в тъмнината,
    свалячи ме гледат жадно в устата.

Припев:
    Кой ще изяде маслинката зелена
    от устата ми червена, на луди ги правя аз.
    Хей, мойто момче, ако те хване страх,
    недей да си играеш на мъже,
    надувай мускули у вас.
    от устата ми червена на луди ги правя аз.

Обичам за срещи някой да ме моли
    хайде мъжете кой ще проговори
    ей беиби ей секси се чува в тъмнината

Припев:
    Хей, мойто момче ако те хване страх,
    надувай мускули у вас.

Stela said:

*Kally* here is the translation.

Who is going to eat the green olive?
    Who is going to eat the green olive?
    ...charmers are trying their hypes on me...

Сядам и пия питие на бара,
    I'm sitting down and drinking on the bar,
    да пробвам мъжете вадя си цигара.
    to try men I'm taking out a cigarette.
    Запалки веднага блясват в тъмнината,
    Lighters flash in the dark
    свалячи ме гледат жадно в устата.
    charmers are wathing me in the mouth.

Припев:
    Who is going to eat the green olive
    from my red mouth, I make them crazy.
    Hey, my boy, if you are already scared,
    stop plaiyng like a men,
    надувай мускули у вас.
    fill out muscles at home.
    от устата ми червена на луди ги правя аз.

Обичам за срещи някой да ме моли
    I like when someone is inviting me on a date
    хайде мъжете кой ще проговори
    comon guys who'll talk first
    ей беиби ей секси се чува в тъмнината
    hey baby, hey sexy is hearing in the dark
    charmers are trying their hypes in me...

Припев:
    Hey, my boy, if you are already scared,
    stop plaiyng like a men,
    надувай мускули у вас.
    fill out muscles at home.
    charmers are trying their hypes in me...

12. *Kally* said:

Tnx a lot Stela

13. Cesarinkis said:

hi:
    im from mexico an i like the bulgarian music and the the singer ivana. i have a song of she with name "live is life" of the album single and the best collection. I think that is a error .but i want the transliteration of this song, the pronuntiation say" nai nai nai nai nai nai na...neneis kan daublicha..neneis kan daubicha...neneis kan disemsdrite...iubishkudeuvite...shi bop shi bop" ..more less, please hep me with this question.
    Thanks

sweety_09 said:

this song has already been translated..you can find the lyrics and the translation here:
    http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/sl...op-folk-4.html

lopatka said:

Lewisn1, if you're interested in Bulgarian hip-hop & rap music, I can send you some good Bulgarian stuff, it's quite different from these "tough" guys that somebody has shown you on YouTube ... :]

+ Bulgaria has 28 provinces (called "област" (singular); "области" (plural)), but they're not soooo important as the states in USA or the Canadian provinces. It's just an organizational thing ... Most of the bigger cities serve as capitals of these provinces.

++ we have a Certificate of Secondary Education, which is given upon finishing grade 12, but it doesn't really serve for anything. If we want to go to university (generally, everyone wants, because there are some universities where you can pay to eneter (or if you have connections - enter directly, or ... if you're braver and have no other options (e.g - brains or money) and are really in desperate need to go to university - there sure will be a teacher who'll enjoy your servicees) .. yep ... corrupted people - you can meet them everywhere ;] So, as I was talking, if you want to go to university, you have to take a "Матура"; which is an exam on .. I don't know actually what, I never needed it, cuz I don't live in Bulgaria, but I've heard it's awfully difficult :] You also have to take the particular university's exam, which costs quite a sum of money :] And .. of course, if you have a diploma for post-secondary education, you'll get e better job, which cannot always be guaranteed in Bulgaria.
    Ungir kallar, kátir kallar, gangiđ upp á gólv dansiđ lystilig!

16. DoriHG said:

Default Lewisn1

Actually, there are times when we nod for a 'no' and shake our head left and right as a 'yes' without even realizing it. I've caught my friends, family members and even myself doing it after a friend of mine pointed it out to me.
    About the secondary school, do you by any chance mean high schools?
    There are a few things you have to understand first - americans go through kindergarden, elementary school, middle school and high school. Bulgarians have kindegardens, than school that includes both your elementary and middle school (meaning that it's not divided) and than kids have to take these exams called "kandidat-gimnazitstki ispit" that places you in a high school depending on the score.
    A guy before mentioned that kids have to take the exam if they want to get into better high schools but I'm from Sofia and have never seen a kid not taking the exam unless they don't want to go to a high school. I also don't know of any high school that accept you without it. I might be wrong for the other cities though.
    Also, no, we don't have states because a state implies having laws that don't apply to other states. We simply have cities and villages, like most of the European countries.
    Also, about the beatings, it's officially illegal to beat kids in school and especially whip them. It happened during communistic times but nowadays it is highly unlikely. Of course, there are exceptions. In my high school (SMG for you bulgarians reading this), there is a teacher that likes beating kids and the school board has received many complaints about him but has done nothing about it simply because he's a genious and the best mathematician I have ever seen. So it does happen.