A few more, then its bedtime!

Thread: A few more, then its bedtime!

Tags: None
  1. breakfast11 said:

Default A few more, then its bedtime!

These songs were put out by more well known groups, but my versions are not those and my source is from a 60's mp3 cd that a friend gave me....

Dont let me be misunderstood (not Animals)

Needles and Pins (not Searchers)

House of the Rising Sun (not Animals)

Shaking all Over (not Searchers or Swinging Blue Jeans)

2. breakfast11 said:

Default oh - one more

I forgot to add...

Everlasting Love - seems as though every TD&H has recorded it - male solo singer from 60's this one

lollipop said:

all covers information:

1. don't let me be misunderstood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Let_Me_Be_Misunderstood (copy and paste full link to your browser address bar, i can't link straight because of that don't word in there.
    2. needles and pins: Needles and Pins (1963 song - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    3. house of the rising sun: The House of the Rising Sun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

F A B Scott said:

Quote Originally Posted by breakfast11 View Post
    Dont let me be misunderstood (not Animals)
    Needles and Pins (not Searchers)
    House of the Rising Sun (not Animals)
    Shaking all Over (not Searchers or Swinging Blue Jeans)
    Quite a lot of versions of Misunderstood - here's a list.

Needles And Pins was done by The Ramones. [maybe not old enough for your query tho]

House of the Rising Sun was done by many others too - Bob Dylan,The Stones....the best version IMO and one of my favourite songs of all time is by Frijid Pink.

Johnny Kidd and the Pirates did Shaking All Over....
    mind you, so did Led Zep I think.

Let me know which of these are wrong and I'll have another try.

5. Grendl2000 said:

Original version of "Everlasting Love" was by Robert Knight in 1967.

F A B Scott said:

Everlasting Love was a huge hit in England in the '60s by Love Affair. The singer was Steve Ellis.

ps.well done lollipop you beat me again [2 minutes lol]

Tahira said:

Hi breakfast,
    Don´t let me be misunderstood = SANTA ESMERALDA (and I think it´s still the best version of all)

Tahira

8. breakfast11 said:

Hey folks this feedback is great - still some uncertainties though - I think I might ftp a snippet of them and maybe if you have time you can listen to them! - plus others from other threads

B11
    :-)

9. breakfast11 said:

Dont let me be misunderstood
    http://des.murrin.net/files/Misunderstood.mp3

Needles and Pins
    http://des.murrin.net/files/Needles.mp3

House of the Rising Sun
    http://des.murrin.net/files/House.mp3

Shaking all Over
    http://des.murrin.net/files/Shaking.mp3

Everlasting Love
    http://des.murrin.net/files/Love.mp3

Wishing and Hoping
    http://des.murrin.net/files/Wishing.mp3
    Merseybeats I'd say

Twist and Shout
    http://des.murrin.net/files/Shout.mp3
    think its brian poole et al

atmaestro said:

Well folks, I believe the music industry has pulled a fast one on us.

When I listened to the mp3 versions that breakfast11 provided, it was clear that these were cover versions (duh). However, I was so impressed with how the vocalist for the two old Animals songs (Dont Let Me Be Misunderstood and House of the Rising Sun) had nailed his "impression" of Eric Burdon's voice, I started digging.

Apparently some of these songs are covers by the original artists!

The new version of "Needles and Pins" is a 1997-8 collaborative effort by Mike Pender (lead vocals and guitar for The Searchers) and Herman's Hermits. I found this version on several post 1997 CD's including "I Love Music 1960-1964: Shakin All Over" and "Hits of the '60s [Legacy Entertainment]". Mike Pender left the original group, The Searchers, and is presently touring with Mike Pender's Searchers. Trivia warning... Sonny Bono is a co-writer of "Needles and Pins".

For the version of "Wishing and Hoping" that breakfast11 provided, The Merseybeats are a close match but I'm not convinced.

The CD "I Love Music 1960-1964: Shakin All Over" contains several of the songs provided by breakfast11 but I can't find any samples from the CD.

I have listened to over 50 versions of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" mostly by Eric Burdon but can't find an exact match to the sample provided by breakfast11.

That's my best shot, I gotta go to bed now...
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

11. breakfast11 said:

That would have kept you busy for a while. I am now scratching my head as to whether I got all those songs from the same source, it would appear so if they are cover type songs.

I agree about Needles and Pins as when I was editing it I realised it didnt have the original 60's sound- definitely something more contemporary.

My Wishing and Hoping sounds more as though its one guy singing with a backing as opposed to three guys singing together as in the u-tube version. To me, however, the accompaniment is the same.

One question - are you guys as old as me to remember all this stuff!?!

ok - I'll own up -

Born 1948

F A B Scott said:

I'm almost certain Shakin' All Over is the Johnny Kidd and the Pirates version.

And the Twist and Shout is surely Brian Poole's version.

As for the rest, I agree with atmaster.
    They used to do covers like this a lot in "them days"

At last - someone admitting they are older than me ...

Not by much though...
    Last edited by F A B Scott; 07-10-2007 at 12:53 AM.

13. breakfast11 said:

Quote Originally Posted by F A B Scott View Post
    I have to honest I'm never heard of them. Actually the 1st version I ever heard was by Normie Rowe here in Oz.

F A B Scott said:

15. breakfast11 said:

Quote Originally Posted by F A B Scott View Post

And the Twist and Shout is surely Brian Poole's version.

As for the rest, I agree with atmaster.
    They used to do covers like this a lot in "them days"

At last - someone admitting they are older than me ...

Not by much though...
    I'll go along with all that which leaves us really with this version of Everlasting Love - Love Affair (Steve Ellis) or Robert Knight? I think I will leave the artist/s on the two Animal songs blank for a while in case someone comes up with a definite idea!!

Thanks All - its been fun!!
    Last edited by breakfast11; 07-10-2007 at 06:39 AM.

16. breakfast11 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Tahira View Post
    Hi breakfast,
    Donīt let me be misunderstood = SANTA ESMERALDA (and I think itīs still the best version of all)

Tahira
    That's not the version I have - but I like it too.

F A B Scott said:

Quote Originally Posted by breakfast11 View Post
    I'll go along with all that which leaves us really with this version of Everlasting Love - Love Affair (Steve Ellis) or Robert Knight?
    It's definitely not Steve Ellis [now that I've listened to your link] and I'm fairly sure it's not Robert Knight either.

Robert Knight : Everlasting Love

YouTube - Everlasting Love. Steve Ellis & Love Affair
    Last edited by F A B Scott; 07-10-2007 at 09:07 AM.

18. Grendl2000 said:

Very interesting versions of some classic tunes.

It's definitely Johnny Kidd on "Shakin'"; that's one of my all-time favorites. There's a beautifully remastered version of it on Rhino Records four-disc set called "Young, Fast and Out of Control." If you like '50s rock, that set is fabulous.

The "Everlasting Love" is not Robert Knight. That's all I can say definitively.

The "House of the Rising Sun" sounds like Jimi Hendrix playing guitar behind Eric Burdon. I know Hendrix and the Animals were very close, so it's possible.
    Last edited by Grendl2000; 07-10-2007 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typos

19. Grendl2000 said:

I was doing some research and came upon this description of an album called "Eric Burdon Sings the Greatest Hits of the Animals" recorded in 1974. Here is an excerpt from the review:

--quote--
    The first minute of �House of the Rising Sun� comprises a guitar solo that is more a series of �tinkerings� than a musical piece and does not in any way resemble the well-known guitar introduction to the hit version. When Eric Burdon begins to sing the number he sings alone and is accompanied by a single guitar for the first couple of minutes of the song. When the band finally joins in, the tempo speeds up and the last minute of the song is comprised of a �Jimi Hendrix� inspired guitar solo that in essence has no resemblance to the more familiar �House of the Rising Sun� tune.

�Don�t Let Me Be Misunderstood� is also a fascinating performance. The electric guitar playing is so good and innovative that it tends distract the listener from Eric Burdon�s vocal performance. The �machine gun� guitar licks in the chorus are particularly effective. The last minute or more of the song is a series wild Jimi Hendrix style guitar playing.
    --end quote--

Here's where you can read more: Compare Prices and Read Reviews on Sings The Animals' Greatest Hits by Eric Burdon at Epinions.com
    Last edited by Grendl2000; 07-10-2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: corrections

atmaestro said:

Ok I did some more digging.
    Grendl2000, When I first listen to the Animals covers, I also thought there was a touch of Jimi. However, in my opinion, Jimi never could have play that reserved no matter how many quaaludes he took. The following are some links to versions of the "House of the Rising Sun" that Jimi did record.

Jimi Hendrix - House of the Rising Sun – Music at Last.fm
    House of the Rising Sun torrent
    allmusic ((( Jimi Hendrix Story > Overview )))
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title