looking for title of rock song

Thread: looking for title of rock song

Tags: None
  1. tryn said:

Unhappy looking for title of rock song

Song has been identified as Calling Elvis by Dire Straits. Thank you panselinos!

I heard a song in the grocery store today that I have heard before, but I still haven't been able to peg a line of lyrics so I can look it up. It is a rock song sung by a male, I believe it has been recorded since 2000. The closest thing I can come to for a lyric is that I think I heard the word "Elvis" in the latter lyrics of the song.

The song has a very ambient feel for a rock tune. There seems to be sustained synth chords in the background, there is a rhythm guitar playing a constant quick rhythm much like what you would expect from The Edge on a U2 song. Towards the end of the song there is a fabulous lead guitar solo. The end of the song is very long- the singing ends and then the longish guitar solo begins, as the song winds down there is a double-beat (16th notes for those who read music) "duh duh" on the lead guitar every 4 beats. The other instruments slowly grow quieter and quieter as the 2-note guitar continues to play on at the same level which causes this effect to be very pronounced as the instruments get softer and softer. The instrumental part of the song at the end lasts several minutes.

The singer vaguely reminds me of the lead singer of Dire Straits if that helps at all. The song reminds me of something I would hear on a movie during an introspective night-time drive. I realize I don't have much to go on, but perhaps for the truly musically astute you can give me ideas and I'll go to Itunes and listen to bits and see if it fits. I currently wouldn't even know where to start.
    Last edited by tryn; 07-11-2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: song was identified

F A B Scott said:

Hotel California would be too obvious I guess?
    Plus there's no Elvis.

oops and far too old.

panselinos said:

Mark Knopfler you say? Err... Try "Calling Elvis" by Dire Straits then.
    It's the best I could come up with, sorry. :/

4. tryn said:

OMG YOU GOT IT!!!!! Calling Elvis is definitely the song and I can't believe I knew the group just from the sound of the voice. I couldn't even hear any of the lyrics in the store so I didn't have anything to type to google for a lookup. YOU ROCK!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!panselinos - I'm truly impressed that you could come up with that on my pitiful description. -all I could talk about was how the music sounded to me. but you hit the nail on the head and I'm so grateful.