Page 25 of 99 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning Turkish language

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m.t View Post
    wow lot of info was added!

i also have a question about the turkish letters, i thought i knew all of them but some time ago i'd read the word halâ which means still and hala which means aunt.
    are there more letters like â and how should they be pronounced?
    i'm really confused about this, i'd never saw it before :S
    Well, the official building changes the rules so much, this year they can say we must use â, and coming year they can say we mustn't! But even though we don't use â, we read it different from a. In fact it's not about 'a' sound, it is about 'L' sound. English is my alternative road to explain what you asked. So let me start with English. Not all L sounds in English are the same. I don't know if you know about dark L and clear L. These are allaphones of 'L' sound. In some words, 'L' is pronounced different, and of course it is produced differently. But I will not talk about the manner and place of articulation of 'L'. It would be too specific and academic.
    I will try to examples:
    First in English, cause you already pronounce them.
    When you pronounce 'leak' , 'black', lose', it is clear L.
    When you pronounce 'pool', 'full', it is dark L.
    In Turkish
    'L' in 'hala' which means aunt is dark L
    'L' in 'halâ' which means still is clear L

I hope this could help!

FYI: As much as i know, in writing we don't use 'â' now, but I can't know what they will tell us tomorrow =)

Thanks

thanks aksios! i understand a little now but i also saw it with the / on a vowel or \ on a vowel like the e and stuff

but it isn't that important to learn is it?

Thanks

Dear, there is nothing like /\ I have not seen, or don't remember. Give me any example if you come acroos again.

Thanks

Default Me again

Quote Originally Posted by aksios View Post
    You are welcome dear!

-se, -sa is used in 'if clause' as well
    IF he is man (brave enough), he will appear for the fight. : (EĞER) ErkekSe, kavga için ortaya çıkar.

IF you want to come with us, be ready at 7 pm.: (EĞER) Bizimle gelmek istiyorsan, akşam üstü 7'de hazır ol.

They are the same, the former is noun sentence, the latter is verb sentence. The meaning of -sa, -se is the same.
    I find no words good enough to thank u. Your explanations are always perfect.
    you make me have the nerve to ask more .
    Sooo here it comes: first how do you use "beri" and işte" in a sentence?

And this question's a basic one . it's the usage of "miş". I know it is used almost in all tenses to say that the subject is not sure about the action or didn't see it personally. At first i used to thinks it forms the present perfect tense. do you not have this tense?anyaway sometimes it's confusing for example for "gelmişim" what does it mean??? i'm not sure whether i came or not??? do you use it like "I think"? this one is easy compared to other tenses like gelirmişim. sorry if i asked too much.
    Last edited by yoldash; 07-20-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Thanks

i'm sorry i can't make the right characters on my computer so i used / and \ for the little stripe on the a or e. i'll search on the internet and copy them

are there more characters like â in tyrkish? (used or not used )
    for example: à, â, Ć, č, è, é, ê, î, ï, ô and û or any other characters?

Thanks

Is anybody going to answer my questions please? I'm too excited to know the answers.

Thanks

hi i have a question about verbs(simple present tense,aorist) i mean when you have for example verbs çalIşmak, içmek and öpmek
    and how can i make 3rd person singular of them?whether should it be çalIşIr/çalIşer/çalIşar? içmek-içir/içer/maybe içar? etc...is it any harmony rule here?or i have to take it by memory?and how should it look correctly? please anyone who knows the answer help me, bcos this is a very basic level and i cant move on greetings
    sans yok
    cepte para yok

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beinglost View Post
    hi i have a question about verbs(simple present tense,aorist) i mean when you have for example verbs çalIşmak, içmek and öpmek
    and how can i make 3rd person singular of them?whether should it be çalIşIr/çalIşer/çalIşar? içmek-içir/içer/maybe içar? etc...is it any harmony rule here?or i have to take it by memory?and how should it look correctly? please anyone who knows the answer help me, bcos this is a very basic level and i cant move on greetings
    içmek = to drink
    she / he drinks = İçer ( No masculin or feminin difference )
    çalışmak = to work
    she / he drinks = Çalışır

i think this present simple tense suffix is being add according to the "vowel harmony"

Notice:
    to think ; Düşünmek ; Düşünür ; the vowel " ü "
    to decide ; Karar Vermek ; Karar verir ; the vowel " i "
    to talk ; Konuşmak ; Konuşur ; the vowel " u "
    to see; Görmek ; Görür ; the vowel " ö "
    to ask ; Sormak ; Sorar ; the vowel " a "
    and so on

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yoldash View Post
    I find no words good enough to thank u. Your explanations are always perfect.
    you make me have the nerve to ask more .
    Sooo here it comes: first how do you use "beri" and işte" in a sentence?

And this question's a basic one . it's the usage of "miş". I know it is used almost in all tenses to say that the subject is not sure about the action or didn't see it personally. At first i used to thinks it forms the present perfect tense. do you not have this tense?anyaway sometimes it's confusing for example for "gelmişim" what does it mean??? i'm not sure whether i came or not??? do you use it like "I think"? this one is easy compared to other tenses like gelirmişim. sorry if i asked too much.
    Hi,
    Yes, you are right, -mış is a kind of uncertainty, but at the same time it gives the meaning of present perfect tense tought there is no such tense in Turkish. Nevertheless we don't use -mış so much. We use either present continous or past tense according to the time we want to emphasize. But we give the near past tense meaning with the suffix -mış and for 'since' and 'for', we use '-den beri','-dır'... These are the things that came to my mind now.
    Now the examples:
    I have been studying Turkish for two years. (still studying: so: present continous ) : İki yıldır Türkçe çalışıyorum.
    I have been looking for this bag for days.( I have just found it so: past tense ) : Gülerdir bu çantayı arıyordum.
    Since you came into my life, I have been living in happiness. : Sen hayatıma geldiğinden beri, mutluluk içinde yaşıyorum.
    Since I met you, I have changed so much. : Senle tanıştığımdan beri, çok değiştim.

And for 'İŞTE'
    We use it when we show something with our hands or pointing at the thing with out eyes.
    When you ask me while I am talking about a man 'Who is that man?' I can say : İşte bu adam (by showing him to you with my eyes or with my finger'
    Or while you are looking for a bag and if I find it I can tell you 'İşte burda'
    for 'here it is'

These are the usage came to my mind now... If you ask more I think I need to make a research for it =)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m.t View Post
    i'm sorry i can't make the right characters on my computer so i used / and \ for the little stripe on the a or e. i'll search on the internet and copy them

are there more characters like â in tyrkish? (used or not used )
    for example: à, â, Ć, č, è, é, ê, î, ï, ô and û or any other characters?
    There is no more letters. But maybe voices that changes in the accordance with the region!
    Here is the all ABC of Turkish!
    A B C Ç D E F G Ğ H I İ J K L M N O Ö P R S Ş T U Ü V Y Z

Â Î Û: these are the voices, generally in arabic words we loaned.
    like rükû ( an arabic word), dinî (an arabic word), mekkâre (an ottoman word, might be arabic, I am not sure)

Thanks

thanx AGAIN so much aksios! sen bir meleksin

Thanks

he he teşekkür ederim,ne demek her zaman yardıma hazırım!

Thanks

Thank You

Thanks

Huh???

Thanks

Teşekkür ederim Aksios. As usual it helped . i'll be asking soon again!

Thanks

Come again anytime you wish dear! I am happy if I can help you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aksios View Post
    he he teşekkür ederim,ne demek her zaman yardıma hazırım!
    wow, haha, i understand this i learned something after all
    i wish i could do something back for you, you're always helping me so well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koukla View Post
    They ARE Turkish letters, when Turkish characters are not installed in a puter, they look differently like these: ı, ş , ğ ..

But original are like these: ı, ş, ğ (better to write them like i, s, ğ but i without a dot, s with a tail and g with a hat!)
    no, they aren't. it's the laziness or carelessness of the webmaster that's turkish. [s]he should have declared the proper character encoding of the page. sometimes they do some awkward things that even changing the browser's encoding several times doesn't fix it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilkin View Post
    no, they aren't. it's the laziness or carelessness of the webmaster that's turkish. [s]he should have declared the proper character encoding of the page. sometimes they do some awkward things that even changing the browser's encoding several times doesn't fix it.
    They are not cuz they don't exist in any language. They appear weirdly when there's no encoding. Practically you are saying what I "tried" to say.

Thanks

thanks for all members who help in this topic and hope to have more about turkish language and learn more and more

Page 25 of 99 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575 ... LastLast